REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Advice on picking car up from Kelowna (https://www.revscene.net/forums/706495-advice-picking-car-up-kelowna.html)

und3f3at3d 11-29-2015 10:15 AM

Advice on picking car up from Kelowna

I'm looking to pickup a car at a dealership in Kelowna, gonna fly up but I have to drive the car back down to the lower mainland if I go through with it. I never drive on the Coquihalla before, but I heard its pretty nasty and unpredictable this time of the year so Im hoping you guys can share your experiences, or tips and advice. Thanks

Suprarz666 11-29-2015 10:19 AM

what type of vehicle is it?

und3f3at3d 11-29-2015 10:21 AM

Looking to pickup an Accord, I think the car has all seasons on it

XplicitLuder 11-29-2015 10:34 AM

I could be wrong but at this time of the year you can't get onto the coq without winter tires

Jmac 11-29-2015 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XplicitLuder (Post 8703173)
I could be wrong but at this time of the year you can't get onto the coq without winter tires

Winter tires now include the M+S (Mud and Snow) designation which most all-seasons have.

Quote:

About Winter Tires

Drivers must obey winter tire and chain signs throughout the province from October 1 to March 31.

Winter road conditions across most of B.C. often include snow and ice. We recommend drivers install mountain/snowflake tires for cold weather driving and, for extreme conditions, carry chains.

It is the responsibility for the operator of a vehicle to understand the conditions on the roads they regularly drive and equip their vehicle for those conditions.

British Columbia accepts tires displaying the 3-peaked mountain and snowflake symbol OR the M+S (mud and snow) symbol, with at least 3.5 mm tread as winter tires. Some tire manufacturers choose to mark their tires with both designations.
I really only travel the Coq in summer, so others can probably offer more experienced insight, but I'd at least:
- carry a set of chains
- practice applying chains to the tires before you leave
- stay in the right lane except to pass slow-moving trucks, don't necessarily worry about keeping up with the flow of traffic as they probably have more experience and possibly better tires than you do
- don't pass snowplows with their lights flashing

E-40six 11-29-2015 10:58 AM

watch Highway thru hell on Discovery...you'll get a sense of what the coq is like

320icar 11-29-2015 11:24 AM

I got no real insight for you since I'm Richmond born and raised. But good on you for asking the question and planning ahead. Too many people just assume "everyone else does it, why can't I?"

Lomac 11-29-2015 12:16 PM

Yeah, technically M&S tires are accepted, but I would suggest picking up snowflake rated tires. You might get lucky and find that the roads are clear (and possibly even dry), or you might find yourself stuck in the middle of a 300mm snowfall. The weather on the Coquihalla Summit (and Brenda Mine area on Hwy97) can be insanely unpredictable.

I would suggest checking out these two links before you go for a drive:
Hwy 5 Cameras
Hwy 97c (Okanagan Connector) Cameras

Edit: One thing to add is that I would suggest packing an extra pack of warm clothes and picking up some water and food on your way out. And gas up as often as possible. While you're unlikely to come across any major issues while driving, it's not uncommon to find yourself stuck in a long tailback from an accident or road closure. One trip last year I ended up getting stuck in traffic up at the top of the Summit for six freakin' hours. The roof of my car had accumulated almost a foot of snow while I was parked. Oh, and this was in the middle of the night. Making sure you have proper and sufficient supplies during this time of year, while usually unnecessary, can be the difference between being comfortable and getting hypothermia.

Source: 15 years of driving on the Coquihalla

GabAlmighty 11-29-2015 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lomac (Post 8703209)
Edit: One thing to add is that I would suggest packing an extra pack of warm clothes and picking up some water and food on your way out. And gas up as often as possible. While you're unlikely to come across any major issues while driving, it's not uncommon to find yourself stuck in a long tailback from an accident or road closure. One trip last year I ended up getting stuck in traffic up at the top of the Summit for six freakin' hours. The roof of my car had accumulated almost a foot of snow while I was parked. Oh, and this was in the middle of the night. Making sure you have proper and sufficient supplies during this time of year, while usually unnecessary, can be the difference between being comfortable and getting hypothermia.

THIS. Bring some snacks and keep the gas tank full. Take it from someone who's learned the hard way; truck broke down in the middle of nowhere in -40c and all I was wearing was jeans and a mediocre winter jacket. Took almost 2'ish hours before my buddy got to me. Couldn't feel from my knees down.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about chains. If you're putting chains on a commuter car you've got bigger things to worry about, if you're really nervous get some snow tires and you'll be fine.

tegra7 11-29-2015 02:13 PM

Have you thought about hiring a vehicle transport company?

dared3vil0 11-29-2015 05:08 PM

If you're travelling the coq this time of year please have dedicated winter tires. All seasons do not cut it.

und3f3at3d 11-29-2015 07:34 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone. I did think about getting a transport company but that would cost 5-600 and I'm not 100% sure I would pick it up so I dont want to book a day without confirming everything. And If I do pickup the car, companies can't just be on standby to come and pick up at your convenience.

The car has all seasons on it, I wouldnt go out of my way to pickup another set of snow tires unless I absolutely have to. I guess I will have to determine if its really worth how much cheaper it is and make the trek up there to drive it back.

TopsyCrett 11-29-2015 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by und3f3at3d (Post 8703171)
Looking to pickup an Accord, I think the car has all seasons on it

Is it a 1990-1993 by any chance? and modified?

acrophobia 11-29-2015 07:54 PM

Roads up here are dry right now, but snow is in the forecast for later this week. You could always check castanet.net for some used snow tires on rims for the drive home; a few hundred bucks extra for a safe trip home would be worth it for me. You could even sell the snows when you get home to recoup some/all of their cost.