REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Civic Type R (https://www.revscene.net/forums/706496-civic-type-r.html)

prelude_prince 10-11-2016 05:59 PM

Not up to date on car news anymore. But isn't this 2017 Civic R already in production? I've seen a few them back in August in red and black already (in Hong Kong). Just not this brushed aluminum wrap.

twitchyzero 10-11-2016 09:28 PM

as a RHD hatchback yes
this is based on the new North American coupe

Spectre_Cdn 11-15-2016 08:19 PM

The 10th gen Civic Si ("protoype") was revealed today -- scroll to 5:20 for the actual reveal:

Press Photos

TL;DW:
- 1.5L turbo
- LSD
- lighter and more rigid chassis
- adaptive steering and suspension
- optional brakes and HFP wheel package (no more machined face, black inners SeemsGood)
- looks like it has different bumpers, wing, center exhaust

NOT a detuned Type R engine BabyRage

Bender Unit 03-06-2017 10:56 PM

The 2017 Honda Civic Type R is a wonderful caricature of itself - Autoblog

Quote:

Originally Posted by Credited to civicx.com forum
The 2017 Honda Civic Type R has just been officially revealed and here are the specs announced so far!
Turbocharged 2.0L inline 4-cylinder, direct injected, VTEC
306 horsepowers (@ 6500 RPM)
295 lb-ft torque (@ 2500-4500 RPM)
7000 RPM redline
FWD only
Short-throw six speed manual only (with rev match feature)
Single mass flywheel (reduces inertia by 25% vs 9th gen)
Lower final drive ratio (compared to 9th gen)
Dual-Axis strut setup
Exclusive spring, damper and bushing settings
Adaptive struts
Aluminum lower arms and steering knuckles
Helical limited slip differential
Retuned and adaptive dual-pinion electric power steering system with variable gear ratio
20-inch wheels
Continental ContiSportContact 6 tires (245/30/20)
Front: Brembo four piston calipers / 13.8 inch cross-drilled rotors
Rear: Brembo single piston calipers / 12 inch cross-drilled rotors
Sport seats standard
Leather-wrapped steering wheel, leather shift boot, the aluminum shift knob and pedal set, all standard.
Torsional rigidity is up 38% from 9th gen
Bending rigidity is up 45% from 9th gen
Weight is down slightly (-15 lbs) compared to a base 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback and down 35 lbs from 9th gen Type R
Aluminum hood
Driving modes: Comfort, Sport (default setting), and +R (affect steering response, throttle mapping, rev-matching settings, suspension settings, and stability control intervention)
Only available in Touring trim
Standard 7" touchscreen, navigation, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, 540-watt sound system
No pricing announced yet, but expected to be in mid-30k range.

http://o.aolcdn.com/dims-global/dims...-version-1.jpg
http://o.aolcdn.com/dims-global/dims...c-type-r-1.jpg
http://o.aolcdn.com/dims-global/dims...c-type-r-1.jpg

snowball 03-06-2017 11:34 PM

Why does Honda insist on using black paint to mask their body lines? Why not make the lines nice the right way? Same thing on the NSX, black paint to hide its ugly beak.

Traum 03-07-2017 12:08 AM

Maybe... kind of like how girls use mascara and eye shadow? :badpokerface:

Badhobz 03-07-2017 06:55 AM

so 30k for a sport, 40k for a si, and 50k for an type R!?!??! holy jebus. THats a pricey civic.

Whats the 0-60 times for the SI and the Type R suppose to be?

VRYALT3R3D 03-07-2017 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badhobz (Post 8827544)
so 30k for a sport, 40k for a si, and 50k for an type R!?!??! holy jebus. THats a pricey civic.

Whats the 0-60 times for the SI and the Type R suppose to be?

Not that I disagree with you on pricing, but I bet it will be priced in Canada between the STi and the Focus RS. So probably high 40s. Focus RS goes for 46k with incentives.

The Type R has about 300 HP but it also weighs 2800 pounds. About 600 pounds less than the Focus RS. I am interested in actual performance times too! What an exciting time to be a car guy! I seen the Type R in person and it looked much better and more boy racer.

Indy 03-07-2017 08:26 AM

in the article it says "expect an MSRP in the mid-$30,000 range."

That's in the same range as the STI and Golf R ...that's a hard decision to make.

dark0821 03-07-2017 06:59 PM

i don't mind the front end... I think it actually looks nice... but too rice for my age??? FUUU I am getting old...

lol.. the rear with the tripe tail pipes though.... I mean damn.... can you at least make it the same size like the 458? ... the OCD in me just gets bothered to no end...

VRYALT3R3D 03-07-2017 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy (Post 8827559)

That's in the same range as the STI and Golf R ...that's a hard decision to make.

...in the U.S. Honda Press release today said low 40s, available in summer

Traum 03-07-2017 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy (Post 8827559)

STI starts at USD $35k
Focus RS starts at USD $36k
Golf R starts at USD $39k

All of the above are AWD cars.

And here we have the Civic Type R starting in the USD mid $30k range, and it is an FF.

So how mid $30k would it be for it to be competitive against the likes of the STI / FoRS / Golf R?

Jmac 03-07-2017 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VRYALT3R3D (Post 8827750)
...in the U.S. Honda Press release today said low 40s, available in summer

So ... like $55k Canadian ... which is like $7k more than its most expensive competitor.

Badhobz 03-08-2017 12:03 AM

It's going to be the 90s all over again with the jacking of the type r emblems. Hooooray

VRYALT3R3D 03-08-2017 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmac (Post 8827778)
So ... like $55k Canadian ... which is like $7k more than its most expensive competitor.

No that was the Canadian press release that said low 40s. The U.S. CTR is being priced mid 30s.

flagella 03-08-2017 04:53 AM

15 years ago I would've probably liked the look.

thumper 03-08-2017 10:14 AM

Potatoflex 03-08-2017 10:32 AM

Hate the low profile tires and that massive wheelgap, can't wait to see how they look like dropped on a 19's + meaty tires :drool:

ZN6 03-08-2017 10:32 AM

OoO

see i can do it too. Maybe this will convince toyota and subaru to slap a turbo on their 86 next time around.

To be honest though, the rear end is too busy with fake vents and stuff that I would have loved when I was 6 years old

dark0821 03-08-2017 06:36 PM

I think you have to be a die-hard Honda fan to get this...

But last time I checked the Focus RS was selling for 52K + taxes at Key West Ford (the dealer mark up... I know), and that is me sitting down, talking numbers and took it to a good 20min test drive, put like 6KM on that thing lol... odo went from 27KM to 33KM when I was done with it... just for perspective, a base 5.0 GT is at 39K, a decently spec'ed with all the performance packages comes to like 47K and that is still undercutting the RS by 5000... yaya I know one is a 2 door rwd coupe, the other is a 4 door hatchback... but I am shopping as a second car anyways, my wife didn't give me a limit...

Went to Open Road VW afterwords, didn't get a test drive, but spec'ed out a Gold R with a sales rep and came out at 48K + taxes...

seriously though... if this is north of 50K like the RS is right now, they are going to lose alot of the market share on pricing alone...

And as mentioned... all those are AWD... the Type-R will have to be pretty special. My only hope is that Honda got the integra Type-R so right.. so maybe it could be an ace in the hole...

Personally, can never rock this look at my age lol... I would be ashamed to bring it to site checks to meet my clients with it hahaha

320icar 03-08-2017 07:00 PM

Man that thing is fucking hideous. Spec's are nice but holy hell its ugly

Edit, also to the post above me, I test drove an RS at brown bro's and it was 48k instead of 52k, also sitting down talking final mumbers

Traum 03-08-2017 07:00 PM

Saw one of the review videos, where the reviewer was fisting the CTR exhaust... :lawl:

Quote:

Originally Posted by dark0821 (Post 8827970)
Personally, can never rock this look at my age lol... I would be ashamed to bring it to site checks to meet my clients with it hahaha

This is such a true, hard reality for those who can responsibly afford this. The If you look at the CTR's competitors, the STI still rocks a giant wing, but at least the rest of the car looks sufficiently mature. The Focus RS looks aggressive, but the body lines are still clean and simple. The Golf R is downright buttoned down German handsome. And then we have this FK8 CTR... I mean, it's fine that we all have a wild side, but if you are a late 30's up to early 50's professional, there are gonna be... quite a number of situations where showing up with this FK8 is gonna look... inappropriate.

VRYALT3R3D 03-08-2017 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dark0821 (Post 8827970)
I think you have to be a die-hard Honda fan to get this...

But last time I checked the Focus RS was selling for 52K + taxes at Key West Ford (the dealer mark up... I know), and that is me sitting down, talking numbers and took it to a good 20min test drive, put like 6KM on that thing lol... odo went from 27KM to 33KM when I was done with it... just for perspective, a base 5.0 GT is at 39K, a decently spec'ed with all the performance packages comes to like 47K and that is still undercutting the RS by 5000... yaya I know one is a 2 door rwd coupe, the other is a 4 door hatchback... but I am shopping as a second car anyways, my wife didn't give me a limit...

Went to Open Road VW afterwords, didn't get a test drive, but spec'ed out a Gold R with a sales rep and came out at 48K + taxes...

seriously though... if this is north of 50K like the RS is right now, they are going to lose alot of the market share on pricing alone...

And as mentioned... all those are AWD... the Type-R will have to be pretty special. My only hope is that Honda got the integra Type-R so right.. so maybe it could be an ace in the hole...

There is a $4,500 incentive on 2016 Focus RS. Or at least here in Ontario. There is no reason to pay a mark up on a Ford. Even the GT350s here in Ontario go for under MSRP
http://kennedyford.ca/mustang/

nsx042003 03-08-2017 09:53 PM

I'm seeing honda canada's facebook page mentioning they are starting at low 40s now

toyota86 03-08-2017 10:48 PM

Maybe I'm old and yearning for simpler times, but I find the appearance of this new type r offensive. This car should be post-op, not pre-op. It would make sense if this car started as a base civic, driven for 10 years, then sold to some high school kid who thinks his new race car needed an ebay body kit.

This ek makes sense to me. It isn't beautiful but it had clean purposeful lines. The new one is screaming to the world, seeking its attention. The older stuff just casually hints that it had something special.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...K9_small_1.jpg