REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Moving companies - recommendations? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/706499-moving-companies-recommendations.html)

canucksfan 11-29-2015 04:02 PM

Moving companies - recommendations?

We're moving in December and need to hire some movers. What's the best bang for the buck in the Burnaby area? Thanks

kkttsang 11-29-2015 04:13 PM

Don't use Ferguson moving, big company expensive you think u get good service. Nope u don't. Stay away from them. Sorry it's not recommendation but rather the opposite.

Mr.HappySilp 11-29-2015 04:26 PM

check CL. There are some ppl that will do it for cheaper.

murd0c 11-29-2015 04:57 PM

Action Movers Vancouver Movers, Residential Moving Company Vancouver | Action Movers Inc

a guy I went to high school and used to work with owns the company, he's legit and loves and knows what he's doing.

Vansterdam 11-29-2015 07:51 PM

Kary Movers - Moving Company - Lower Mainland & Fraser Valley

nns 11-29-2015 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp (Post 8703251)
check CL. There are some ppl that will do it for cheaper.

Funny you should mention this: A moving story: Behind the stress and relief of moving home are teams of professional movers with plenty of stories to tell

Quote:

The business is plagued by a few “rogue movers,” Kellough said, and the industry association is trying to root them out. He’s heard plenty of horror stories over the years, from pieces of furniture being held hostage for hundreds of dollars, to prices suddenly shooting up far beyond the agreed-upon rates, to items going “missing.”

Many of the horror stories come from customers who opted for the cheapest option they could find on Craigslist instead of hiring a registered, reputable company, said Kellough.

“The industry has, unfortunately, an easy point of access. Any idiot can put an ad in the paper, or go online,” he said. “And on the day of the move, rent a truck and find a buddy, and pretend they’re insured and pretend they’re a mover.

“Ninety per cent of the problems are caused by 10 per cent of the companies,” he said.

Adorkami 11-29-2015 08:41 PM

I used to work for Heritage Office, they do lots of commercial moves and a few VIP residential moves. One of their top drivers (Greg) is now a contractor that does residential moves and he may be worth a call. If interested let me know, I'm not sure of his rates though. I also know of another company that can be good depending on the crew they send.

Soundy 11-29-2015 10:31 PM

We used Alert, they were amazing. Loaded and unloaded their own truck, then stuck around to unload our Big Steel Box as well. Tipped them really well.

Alert Moving & Storage | fraser valley movers with storage in aldergrove mission langley abbotsford chilliwack

hillmar 11-30-2015 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murd0c (Post 8703256)
Action Movers Vancouver Movers, Residential Moving Company Vancouver | Action Movers Inc

a guy I went to high school and used to work with owns the company, he's legit and loves and knows what he's doing.

+1 for action movers! Used them last year, quote was spot on with no extras! No damaged furniture, and very professional!

Nssan 12-02-2015 06:14 PM

if you need storage or plastic box rental. Try www.cube2go.com

Adorkami 12-02-2015 09:10 PM

Being green sounds nice but it's expensive. $5.59/month a month for a tote that costs around $17 to buy seems like a nice mark up. I'd suggest using cardboard boxes as they are a lot cheaper. You can either start saving up banana boxes from a grocery store or get in touch with a company like great little box and get 1 - 2 bundles of 2 cube boxes. The added benefit to boxes is that if you are just transferring some of the items into storage you don't have to worry about unpacking and you have boxes if you ever move again.

Nssan 12-03-2015 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adorkami (Post 8704218)
Being green sounds nice but it's expensive. $5.59/month a month for a tote that costs around $17 to buy seems like a nice mark up. I'd suggest using cardboard boxes as they are a lot cheaper. You can either start saving up banana boxes from a grocery store or get in touch with a company like great little box and get 1 - 2 bundles of 2 cube boxes. The added benefit to boxes is that if you are just transferring some of the items into storage you don't have to worry about unpacking and you have boxes if you ever move again.

The $5.59/month is for off-site storage and that includes drop off of empty plastic boxes and pick up of filled boxes as well as insurance. All of the stored items and boxes can be seen and managed online.

We rent the plastic boxes for moving at a $3.00 per box with 2 weeks rental starting at 15 boxes. That includes a drop off and pick up as well.

*Disclaimer: I am a co-founder.

supafamous 12-03-2015 08:14 PM

Metro Vancouver Movers - (604) 970-2233 - Used him twice and my bro used him too. Good solid work, not the fastest but not slow. Professional guys who take care of your stuff.

0.GvRd.Movers.Metro.Vancouver.BC.Greater.Vancouver .Moving.Company.24/7[604-724-0-723]Movers.Lower.Mainland.Movers.Vancouver.Island.Move rs.Victoria.Movers.Nanaimo.Movers.Richmond.BC.Move rs. - Used him years ago. Eastern Euro guys who work fast and know their stuff (are veteran movers). Just don't expect small talk or any cheerfulness - they are all business. If you don't need personality and you don't wince when your fragile items are moved around then these are your guys.

Adorkami 12-03-2015 09:05 PM

My opinion on totes is a bit biased as the company i worked for used to buy thousands of totes every year to replace broken/stolen totes. But from a cost perspective boxes are always cheaper. And as long as all the boxes/totes are the same size it makes no difference to a mover. I think I paid 1.20 - 1.30 for a 2 cube box with a logo on it, but that was ordering thousands every month.

Also when it comes to movers make sure you look into them, I've run into lots that i would never want to step in to my house. For the most part it's a job that anyone can do although most aren't that good at it.

Mr.HappySilp 12-03-2015 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adorkami (Post 8704218)

Got to those moms and pups grocery stores and ask if you could buy their cardboard box that they no longer use. You could try that with restaurant as well even McDonalds might do it too. Doesn't cost a lot.

hypediss 02-27-2016 09:33 PM

reviving this thread...

just wondering if there are any movers within the lower mainland that pads walls during moves.. much like how they do it in the video

Adorkami 02-27-2016 10:21 PM

none, some protect the corners of doors but for the most part you'd have to be horrible at moving to need that much protection.

Manic! 02-28-2016 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp (Post 8704535)
Got to those moms and pups grocery stores and ask if you could buy their cardboard box that they no longer use. You could try that with restaurant as well even McDonalds might do it too. Doesn't cost a lot.

Pay for used boxes that are going to be thrown in the garbage? If you ask they will give them to you for free. It frees up space in the garbage bin. Costco is also a good place to get boxes.