REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 09-02-2016, 02:04 PM   #51
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
All I gots to say is, if you live in a country where you can't be bothered to learn the language. Fuck. You.

edit: oh wait, i said that already.
Advertisement
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-02-2016, 02:32 PM   #52
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
saw it on the news today, the strata president refused to comment to the news

non mandarin speaking owners were allowed to attend the meeting, but other than a greeting, in english, upon entry, the meetings were held in mandarin

this is according to two separate owners

unbelievable... at least one owner has brought the matter to the human rights tribunal, no doubt he'll win, but will it change anything...

the human rights tribunal was founded so something like headtax will not happen again, irony is that when the minority are the ones not using the the tribunal but this guy.

it's like racism at a whole new level.
sakuma drops is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-02-2016, 02:42 PM   #53
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by fliptuner View Post
Canada opened it doors to you - have some fucking respect.
We have been some of the most respectful and reputable in the community, Richmond has a very low crime rate. Many of us came as investors to better this country for ourselves and others.

Immigrant Investor Venture Capital Pilot Program

respect yo

bringing security to strata meeting, and demanding money from your neighbours is Anti-Canadian value. If I own a property in that strata I would sue
just for the fact he bring a security onto private property as a threatening mean.
Old 09-02-2016, 04:01 PM   #54
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
We have 35 million people in Canada.

6.5 million Canadians speak language OTHER THAN English or French at home. (That's almost 20%)

Map: Canada's most common non-official languages
2011 Census of Canada: Topic-based tabulations

We do not have a recent (2016) data, but I'm sure Chinese will rise even more.
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 04:37 PM   #55
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
We have 35 million people in Canada.

6.5 million Canadians speak language OTHER THAN English or French at home. (That's almost 20%)

Map: Canada's most common non-official languages
2011 Census of Canada: Topic-based tabulations

We do not have a recent (2016) data, but I'm sure Chinese will rise even more.

also I want to point out that many of them are landed immigrants, and not citizens yet, but yet like that flip bitch said "Canada opened the door show respect" WHEN MAYBE not 1 person at the strata meeting can speak English.
So open the door and you punch them in the face? Since when did the young crowd in Canada became so racist. It just piss me off, you rev kids are Anti Canadian value

Fuck you I'm taking a nap
Old 09-02-2016, 07:16 PM   #56
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,513 Times in 4,905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakuma drops View Post
also I want to point out that many of them are landed immigrants, and not citizens yet, but yet like that flip bitch said "Canada opened the door show respect" WHEN MAYBE not 1 person at the strata meeting can speak English.
So open the door and you punch them in the face? Since when did the young crowd in Canada became so racist. It just piss me off, you rev kids are Anti Canadian value

Alrighty, then...............
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-02-2016, 09:19 PM   #57
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,584 Times in 633 Posts
its not the language that piss me off, its the respect

if u have a bunch of chinese that dont understand english, then maybe do chinese and English at the same time so both parties get some respect

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post
I went up to a cute chick and asked her if she'd let me take a photo of her for $30 she slapped me, she said to me that "I AIN'T A WHORE!"

But other than that I have seen every car on display in DTP just by cruising about in Richmond, thank you very much for collecting them together and get someone to sing a cover for "fuck you".

OH FUCK YOU OH OH OOOOH~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neva View Post
wtf man? what the hell kind of women do you go for? spca is for animals not dates...
ae101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 01:09 AM   #58
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 1,934 Times in 494 Posts
IMHO, from what I've read, this is what I deduced:

-------------------------
1- The Chinese owners can speak a little English.

2- The non-Chinese owners CANNOT speak Mandarin.

------------

Scenario # 1:
By making the meetings conducted only in Mandarin means:

-------------

1- Only the Chinese residents would understand fully.

2 - The non-Chinese residents won't understand a single word being uttered (e.g. nothing).

---------------

So, the non-Chinese basically cannot attend the meetings due to this language barrier.

Scenario 2:
On the other hand, if the meetings were only conducted in English, this means:

-----------

1- The Chinese residents would understand a little, but yet, they do understand a little.

2- The non-Chinese residents would understand the meetings completely.

------------------------

Solution:

If nothing is to be changed, the meetings should be conducted in English, because the Chinese residents know SOME English whereas the non-Chinese knows a single wit of Chinese.

i.e. Scenario # 2 is better than Scenario # 1.

Better solution:

The other major issue is the depth of understanding.

I do realise that a little understanding might not be conducive to effective meetings.

Therefore, the strata should stick with hiring the translator, if it is cost effective.

-------------------------

Stalemate:

What if the translator is too expensive or if the Chinese members balk at the cost of hiring a translator?

After all, from what I've read, there are more Chinese residents than non-Chinese residents, thus in a vote that is for or against hiring a translator, then the Chinese residents would win.

So, what is the next step?

The problem lies in the fact that the non-Chinese residents simply don't understand a single Chinese word being uttered in the meetings; however, the Chinese residents do understand a little or SOME English.

This is the crux of the issue at hand: the amount of comprehension.

Add to this fact is the fact that English is the official language of this great Country.

I do hope that the Chinese residents do have some aspiration to become assimilated outside of their comfort zone.

I do digress.

If all else fails, the meetings should adhere to societal norm that [I think] is practised elsewhere in Vancouver and Canada as a whole:

English as the primary spoken language.

Or, conduct the meetings in Chinese and stick with the translator if the costs are bearable so EVERYBODY can understand.

After all, the non-Chinese residents are okay with the expense.
Marshall Placid is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-03-2016, 09:53 AM   #59
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Spoiler!

This! great post imo

But come to the fact when you go to another place be it country or a new job, you learn their culture. like the language.

for example Germany passed a law for all refugees to learn the language to become a citizen is mandatory...

But what do we get in return for saying something like that? We get called a racist or we are "discriminating" people

If you're old i get it no point learning the language fluently, but if you're younger and LIVE here or plan to live here you should at least put in the effort. imo at least.
About kkthind: [22-12, 22:55] ts14 hes so white that if he was a cop, he would beat ts14 for beinng surrey

Last edited by kross9; 09-03-2016 at 10:04 AM. Reason: venting...
kross9 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-03-2016, 01:55 PM   #60
GS8

Thanked 7,260 Times in 1,966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakuma drops View Post

GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 03:29 PM   #61
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,323 Times in 579 Posts
Reminds me of everytime I go to superstore/T&T supermarket, always someone coming up to me to sell me on signing up a credit card, but they approach me speaking in Mandarin. I just put my hand up to their face and don't say a word and walk away.

This is not Asia, English/French should be the formal language of communication in Canada. If they don't want to even attempt to utilize it, I don't even want to listen. There are so many people that show no respect while living here, it's as though they can do whatever they want and expect everyone to abide to them.
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-03-2016, 06:08 PM   #62
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,513 Times in 4,905 Posts
^ I think even French is better than hearing shit in Mandarin......... I never thought I'd say French is okay. I understand it more than Mandarin. Plus, it sounds way more sexier, n’est-ce pas?

Mon petite cherie............ rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..........
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-05-2016, 08:58 AM   #63

thing is if u go most of the ppl that go to TnT are chinese, which is why they speak mostly canto and mando (when they see Chinese)

if a non Chinese shop there, they use english (nothing wrong with TnT)

this whole thing is stupid and full of crap, just get a translator (im sure they get a kid from the townhousecomplex to do it for $50 a night)

it's all about respect

Quote:
I went up to a cute chick and asked her if she'd let me take a photo of her for $30 she slapped me, she said to me that "I AIN'T A WHORE!"

But other than that I have seen every car on display in DTP just by cruising about in Richmond, thank you very much for collecting them together and get someone to sing a cover for "fuck you".

OH FUCK YOU OH OH OOOOH~
Quote:
wtf man? what the hell kind of women do you go for? spca is for animals not dates...
This post thanked by:
Old 09-05-2016, 09:39 AM   #64
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
so are the meeting minutes all in chinese too? if so any resale will most likely have only interest from chinese buyers.

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 11:38 AM   #65
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
It's only a matter of time before someone brings out a universal translator and this will be a non issue.
Old 09-05-2016, 01:52 PM   #66
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ae101 View Post
thing is if u go most of the ppl that go to TnT are chinese, which is why they speak mostly canto and mando (when they see Chinese)

if a non Chinese shop there, they use english (nothing wrong with TnT)

this whole thing is stupid and full of crap, just get a translator (im sure they get a kid from the townhousecomplex to do it for $50 a night)

it's all about respect
Why the fuck can't someone with a passable knowledge of English from within the council translate and save the money on it? Or are they that defensive about conducting Chinese-only meetings that they would rather let this joke keep going as a means of controlling the strata budget?
Old 09-05-2016, 06:02 PM   #67
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,776 Times in 444 Posts
You can take a person out of the BRIC, but you can't take the BRIC out of the person.

http://www.e38registry.org/
Mr.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 09:33 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorneringArtist View Post
Why the fuck can't someone with a passable knowledge of English from within the council translate and save the money on it? Or are they that defensive about conducting Chinese-only meetings that they would rather let this joke keep going as a means of controlling the strata budget?
i guess no one is willing to do it in the strata lol

Quote:

OH FUCK YOU OH OH OOOOH~
Quote:
Old 09-06-2016, 06:26 AM   #69
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euro7r View Post
Reminds me of everytime I go to superstore/T&T supermarket, always someone coming up to me to sell me on signing up a credit card, but they approach me speaking in Mandarin. I just put my hand up to their face and don't say a word and walk away.
[...]
Why so rude? They are still people.
Reeyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 01:56 PM   #70
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeyal View Post
Why so rude? They are still people.
Because not everyone that looks Chinese, speaks Mandarin/Canto. Why do you just ignorantly assume someone speaks something? Same shit.

Personally, respect and courtesy have flown out the window with the amount of immigrants that have entered into Canada lately. Both sides of my family at one time were immigrants, and they assimilated without an issue..

What the fuck are the Chinese's problems?

Spoiler!
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-06-2016, 02:33 PM   #71
PM me for my nudes

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,001 Posts
For example:

I'm better than melloman.

because hes a gwai lo
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
This wouldn't happen if you didn't drive a peasant car like an Audi...
Quote:
[14-05, 14:59] FastAnna You tiny bra wearing, gigantic son of a bitch
[15-05, 10:35] FastAnna Yeah I was dreaming of those big titties in that tiny bra
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I'd probably blow someone for that 911
smoothie. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-06-2016, 04:35 PM   #72
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euro7r View Post

This is not Asia, English/French should be the formal language of communication in Canada. If they don't want to even attempt to utilize it, I don't even want to listen. There are so many people that show no respect while living here, it's as though they can do whatever they want and expect everyone to abide to them.

seriously though i'm picturing you doing this with sunglasses ala the rock, that would be awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by melloman View Post
Because not everyone that looks Chinese, speaks Mandarin/Canto. Why do you just ignorantly assume someone speaks something? Same shit.

Personally, respect and courtesy have flown out the window with the amount of immigrants that have entered into Canada lately. Both sides of my family at one time were immigrants, and they assimilated without an issue..

What the fuck are the Chinese's problems?

Spoiler!
when i check out at T&T cashier speaks to me in engrish ... should i be offended they assume i don't speak mandarin/canto or should i be pleased they use the language they should be using... sometimes i feel like it's the reverse feeling of getting ID'd at the liquor store

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothie. View Post
For example:

I'm better than melloman.

because hes a gwai lo

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 07:14 PM   #73
in the butt

Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,181 Posts
hongcouver is not a decade away, its already here.
donk. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 07:42 PM   #74
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by donk. View Post
hongcouver is not a decade away, its already here.
Hongcouver was more than a decade ago...There has been a net negative immigration rate for Hong Konger migrants for a while now.
Gee.Tee.Ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 09:50 PM   #75
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,621 Times in 684 Posts
I never understood why people get offended over language. We're not even talking about offensive language, just plain, foreign language. Am I an anomaly for not getting annoyed when I go to Richmond and see business signs in a foreign language?

Similarly, if I'm in Richmond, I expect to see signs in foreign languages. The demographics of that city is predominately Asian. It makes sense, it works, why not? If a business owner decides to exclude a demographic due to a printed or spoken language barrier, that's his/her own problem. Give your business to someone else.

We are not entitled to be spoken to or have business signs written in English and/or French. There really isn't anything rude about having someone speak to you in a foreign language unless they're doing it systematically to EXCLUDE you. Again, if you don't like it, don't give your hard-earned money to a business like that.

When I worked retail and had a customer come into the store that was ~ above 50 and Punjabi, I would purposely speak Punjabi. Out of the thousands of times I had spoken Punjabi to a customer, I only had ONE person get mad at me for doing it (the day after boxing day - trying to make a return).

Maybe I'm not aware of underlying cultural hostilities amongst the Asian communities so it'll be hard for me to understand. But on the surface, I really don't see why people get so bent out of shape about languages spoken by others. That being said, when it comes to a person's place of residence and being aware of the issues being discussed at open meetings, everyone should be included and exclusive practices like this is likely to rub me the wrong way too.