REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/sports-sports-entertainment-fitness_35/)
-   -   climbers? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/706888-climbers.html)

unit 12-27-2015 05:08 PM

climbers?

saw a few old threads but curious to see who still actively climbs?

i just started bouldering about a year ago, 1-2x a week at the hive in vancouver, but going to learn how to belay in the spring and switch to top roping. also interested in going to squamish this summer for some outdoor stuff. any others? what levels of experience? i have a regular bouldering partner but always good to have an extra belay partner around once i start top roping.

JHatta 12-27-2015 10:36 PM

this is something I have seriously been thinking about. I have a co-worker who used to climb, but just had a kid and is expecting a second..so we haven't had time to connect at the local climbing gym.

How hard was it to start off?

6793026 12-28-2015 05:26 AM

it's pretty hard to start. man i miss it a lot. Ive done it for a while back in the days.

You do need someone that can belay, duh right?, but what's important is to have someone who is able to securely set an anchor properly and have a decent rope to pitch at various sites around squamish.

common one is the Murrin Park whcih is like beginner 101 which i'msure some of you have boulder close by. that's an easy 5.6

once you get better, you have Corn flakes, Burgers and Fries etc which is more like 5.8 - 5.10a/b.

unit 12-28-2015 06:59 AM

yeah i'd be taking an anchor class as well as a belaying class. possibly do a 2-3 day course and learn it all at once.

jhatta: to start off which? climbing in general? indoor bouldering is a good place for some people to start, since it doesnt require a partner.

flameboy54 01-16-2016 01:39 PM

Been climbing for the last 5 years or so out of Cliffhanger primarily, 2-3 times a week. I drop in to the Hive every now and then and even Stone Garden down in Bellevue for a same day road trip.

Currently top roping up to 12a, projecting 12b's, lead up to 11b and bouldering up to V6, projecting V7's. Keep in mind that CH's grading seems to be a bit soft vs other places. Due to my current situation I can't climb outdoors but I do miss it.

I have various groups that I climb with but always looking for new people. Just PM if you want to hit the wall.

G 01-16-2016 02:42 PM

^Dang, a 12A is pretty good even if the CH grading is soft.... Bravo

I've never been to CH, is it pretty good? I've only tried Climb Base 5 and the Hive ever since I moved back to BC

flameboy54 01-17-2016 03:31 PM

I'd like to climb CB5 more but it's just too far out and CH is much closer for me. If I had more cashflow I'd get a pass at Hive too but I'm happy at CH with the regulars I've met there in the cave.

CH isn't the biggest gym in both ropes and bouldering but I've managed to make the best of it. It's really the only gym in Vancouver that has top rope. The bouldering problems are decent and it's quiet enough to not fight for space on the wall. It's usually the same people in the cave so you're a regular you'll get to know people pretty fast.

G 01-18-2016 07:54 AM

Nice... I'm around a 5.10/5.11 but i've only climbed for a year. I stopped climbing since moving back cause its just too damn expensive... :(

I would really be down to get back into it and improve and also learn how to lead climb!!

unit 01-18-2016 08:16 AM

im pretty terrible, i can do most of the 2 hex problems and attempt the 3 hex ones at the hive. i'm not sure what that is in the V system, V2 maybe? haha..

once i start top roping then i wouldnt mind meeting up! gonna take a belay course in march.

flameboy54 01-19-2016 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G (Post 8718128)
Nice... I'm around a 5.10/5.11 but i've only climbed for a year. I stopped climbing since moving back cause its just too damn expensive... :(

I would really be down to get back into it and improve and also learn how to lead climb!!

In the grand scheme of things, if you get an annual pass ($650 after taxes @ CH) and you commit to going at least 2 times a year it works out to about $6 each time. But it's the commitment part you have to keep up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by unit (Post 8718133)
im pretty terrible, i can do most of the 2 hex problems and attempt the 3 hex ones at the hive. i'm not sure what that is in the V system, V2 maybe? haha..

once i start top roping then i wouldnt mind meeting up! gonna take a belay course in march.

I think 2 hex is V2-3 which isn't bad. It's definitely a good start. I'm a firm believer that to become good TR/lead climber you need to take up bouldering. Keep up with bouldering and you'll see huge gains when you rope climb.

G 01-19-2016 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flameboy54 (Post 8718546)
I think 2 hex is V2-3 which isn't bad. It's definitely a good start. I'm a firm believer that to become good TR/lead climber you need to take up bouldering. Keep up with bouldering and you'll see huge gains when you rope climb.

I agree, it's definitely way easier going from bouldering to TR versus the other way IMO.

unit 06-27-2016 10:54 AM

i might buy a bouldering pad soon. maybe if a few of you guys wanna go together we can take a squamish guide book and check it out.

DragonChi 07-08-2016 08:38 PM

ZN6 06-05-2017 02:08 PM

Anyone still climb? reviving an old thread but picked this up for about a month now. i'm climbing at about 5.10c level at CB5. Belay certified there but haven't lead a climb yet.

I like outdoor climbing a lot more as it's much more intuitive and the holds are a lot grippier.

unit 06-28-2017 12:07 PM

i climb about the same level as you, also i have a pass there but my shoulder has been messed up for like 6 months!

do you know how to build anchors outdoors and have a rope?

ZN6 07-04-2017 09:28 AM

yeah, been going outdoor at copper cove. when I repelled the first time after building anchor, it was freaky. also learning how to clean anchor was pretty scary since it was my first time and had to depend on the personal anchor.

I started doing the 5.11s now but I hate crimpy routes. I rather have reachy ones that depend on technique rather than grip strength on slippery holds.

I find outdoor is much more intuitive (I'm not restricted by colour) and much much grippier and I have confidence with the tiny holds.

ZN6 07-04-2017 09:30 AM

I also boulder there but I top out at the V3 levels. anything after that is insanely hard or i'm too shit scared to make the jumps.

I pumped all my points into leg strength and minimal points into upper body strength. :(

ZN6 09-11-2017 10:20 AM

Anyone still climb? I'm topped out at 11b climbs, anything after it's either too reachy or my grip strength is just too little to hold the crimps.

Dino'd to get a hold and failed and scraped my knee right down the wall at cb5. now there's my skin hanging there.

G 09-11-2017 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZN6 (Post 8860882)
Anyone still climb? I'm topped out at 11b climbs, anything after it's either too reachy or my grip strength is just too little to hold the crimps.

Dino'd to get a hold and failed and scraped my knee right down the wall at cb5. now there's my skin hanging there.

I wanna start again, but haven't climbed in 1-2 years.... I think I will start from 0 again..:okay:

ZN6 09-12-2017 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G (Post 8861022)
I wanna start again, but haven't climbed in 1-2 years.... I think I will start from 0 again..:okay:

nah man, once you get back into it, it should be muscle memory that kicks back in and you'll be flying up 5.11s again easy.

mind you, most of my climbs are 5.10 and I only do the odd 5.11 here and there. 5.12s are a no go for me.