REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Japan Electronics center (https://www.revscene.net/forums/707015-japan-electronics-center.html)

mekaw 01-05-2016 12:13 AM

Japan Electronics center

Anyone use them before?

basically, I'm having issues with shitty bluetooth connection with my alpine AV headunit. Bluetooth phone works fine but music connection is very glitchy and spotty. Tested with 4 different phones. Sadly, it's 3 weeks past warranty period.

According to Alpine website, Japan electronics center on main st is the warranty/repair center.
> www.japanelectronics.ca

Only reviews i can find are yelp and 80% of it is pretty negative. Wondering if anyone dealt with them before or if you know of any reputable Alpine Headunit repair places, let me know.

Thanks

ShanghaiKid 01-05-2016 02:11 AM

went to them to have a look at the stock head unit for my infiniti, sold as bose manufactured by alpine. charged a flat rate of $30~ to diagnose and was told I'd have to replace the whole circuit board for 400 if I wanted it repaired. Used ones from craigslist were about 100-200, it's just slightly difficult to find the matching serial number for perfect fitting parts.

Seeing as how problems with this particular head unit are pretty much universal across all of the applications nissan has used them, It should've just been a simple resoldering job with minimal supplies according to some google searches and youtube videos. But they chose to ignore what I had to say and suggested replacing the entire board regardless. Anyways, I said no and sucked up the loss. Purchased a double din from RPM electronics which I'm very happy with.

Doubt many people here have experience with them, so take my experience as you may.

!SG 01-05-2016 04:51 AM

had my pioneer head unit fixed by them...

took 2 months and part of it was they forgot my work order.

You get want you pay for. It may be labelled as a authorized dealer, but it is still a small operation in there. They lack enough personnel to handle the load of work going through their doors.

In the end, i brought the head unit there twice because they forgot to re connect the RCA outputs. they probably assume i was just running power off the headunit to the speakers like most ppl.

Im a pretty patient person, so im use to waiting for what i want.

overall, would i go to them again, only absolutely if needed.

kchan 01-05-2016 07:59 AM

went to them before to have a clarion double din deck fixed

fixed in a reasonable amount of time (1 week) - told them i was in no rush

when i got the deck back and got it installed again (the gps antenna on the deck's end fell in) - they offered to fix it for free after i brought it back to them to fix that issue

would probably go back again

604STIG 01-05-2016 09:10 AM

I had an issue with my Alpine amp (prob. about 12-13 years ago now) was near enf of warranty period, took it there cause like you said it was the only place out here that Alpine has listed as authorized. They took a while (month) to get my amp back then after about 2 months had the same issue with the amp. Their "repair" was basically a band aid fix instead of an actual repair, by this time my amp was out of the warranty period. Never went back there again. Buddy of mine took it to someone he knew at the time and he repaired it in about half hour, back in my hands within a day.

Bonka 01-05-2016 11:44 AM

I had my Bose headunit serviced twice by them 5 years ago. Long story short, I spent about $380 on service repairs and waited over 2 months for repairs and CDs still won't play properly. I suppose I'm not too bothered about it since I use the AUX anyway now.

Depending on what needs repair I would go elsewhere or suck it up and buy something else.

JDMDreams 01-05-2016 11:59 AM

I took my Kenwood double din there to get fixed a few years back, lcd was changing colors on me. I think turn around was roughly a month? Don't remember. don't really have any other comments as it was under warranty from Kenwood and I didn't have to pay. I guess it would be nice if it was faster.

Cman333 01-05-2016 03:54 PM

I use them frequently. Jack is a solid person, but like SG said, small operation with too much workload. They're pretty disorganized. So you have to have patience. You may need to bring it back, but he'll always eventually get it fixed.

I use them when I have to, but turn around with them is quite slow so I use others when I can. But for warranty sometimes you don't have a choice.

I would expect a time frame of 2 weeks to 2 months. You have to follow up with them because he won't remember. You may be better sending it to another service depot out of Province. They're usually quicker lol

mekaw 01-05-2016 07:14 PM

anyone else in town who can fix alpine headunit with decent turnaround time? since it's past warranty period, I'd rather not wait for too long. I should've done it while it was still under warranty but was too lazy to remove it again