REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Shooting in Saskatchewan school - 5 Killed (https://www.revscene.net/forums/707280-shooting-saskatchewan-school-5-killed.html)

Presto 01-22-2016 02:48 PM

Shooting in Saskatchewan school - 5 Killed

crap.
They have the shooter in custody, though.

CBC Article:
Quote:

Five people have died in a school shooting in the northern Saskatchewan community of La Loche, says Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.

Two others are in critical condition, he said.

"Obviously this is every parent's worst nightmare," Trudeau said Friday in a brief statement from Davos, Switzerland.

A suspect is in custody, he said, and the situation was under control.

Trudeau also thanked first responders who reacted "quickly and bravely" in what he called a "tragic and terrible day."

La Loche is a community of about 3,000. The school is for grades 7 to 12.

"I ran outside the school," Noel Desjarlais, a Grade 10 student at the school, told CBC News. "There was lots of screaming. There was about six, seven shots before I got outside. I believe there was more shots by the time I did get out."

"Myself I'm fine," he said. "I ended up running and telling people get out the doors."

Saskatchewan's air ambulance system has also tweeted it has been dispatched to La Loche, which is about 500 kilometres northwest of Prince Albert, Sask.

An official from STARS said the service was dispatched from Saskatoon to La Loche at 1:35 p.m. CST.

Saskatchewan Premier Brad Wall also issued a statement, about the situation.

"Words cannot express my shock and sorrow at the horrific events today in La Loche," Wall said. "My thoughts and prayers are with all the victims, their families and friends and all the people of the community. Thank you to the RCMP and all the emergency personnel who responded quickly to the shootings. Saskatchewan Education and Social Services will be available to provide all necessary crisis support and counselling services to the school and the community."

NDP MP Georgina Jolibois also issued a statement Friday.

"As the former mayor of La Loche, I am shocked and saddened by the shooting in the Dene Building at the La Loche Community School in my riding," her statement said. "The shooting hits close to home for me as my family members attend the school."

She added that the community "has faced adversity in the past and we will persevere," adding that her thoughts and prayers were with everyone affected by the shooting.

6o4__boi 01-22-2016 02:56 PM

that's just ugly

RIP to the victims

Retrac 01-22-2016 05:35 PM

Shit, thought I read wrong. Assumed it was America. R.I.P. and condolences to those affected.

twitchyzero 01-22-2016 05:47 PM

could there possibly be an explanation why many mass shootings happen in smaller communities?

StylinRed 01-22-2016 06:32 PM

^^^ higher drug use, less policing, less infrastructure/monitoring of the mentally ill

second school shooting i heard about this week, there was one at a Pakistan university earlier, where a teacher/teachers even fought back with the attackers with their own guns trying to protect the students

The_AK 01-23-2016 02:16 AM

I think the biggest shock is the fact that this happened in Canada, where our gun laws are significantly more strict compare to the US

Berzerker 01-23-2016 08:16 AM

Ib4 Canada needs guns to protect itself.

Berz out.

The_Situation 01-23-2016 09:00 AM

hope the shooter gets skinned alive

Hehe 01-23-2016 09:40 AM

Murica!!

Oh wait.... :okay:

StylinRed 01-23-2016 11:21 AM

Read that the shooter killed his 2 brothers, before going to the school and killing a 23yr old female teacher, no word on the 4th deceased or the injured, this was quoted from the 23yr old teachers father who says he was told this by the police

RRxtar 01-23-2016 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StylinRed (Post 8719900)
Read that the shooter killed his 2 brothers, before going to the school and killing a 23yr old female teacher, no word on the 4th deceased or the injured, this was quoted from the 23yr old teachers father who says he was told this by the police

guns are obviously the problem

the guy was clearly a stable healthy ordinary person with good values and morals! if only he didn't have access to a gun that made him kill his family and shoot up a school!!!!

Sid Vicious 01-23-2016 08:09 PM

good thread on the city here

https://www.reddit.com/r/canada/comm...d_in_northern/

tl;dr the city is essentially canada's detroit, cleveland or baltimore

twitchyzero 01-24-2016 10:53 AM

a teacher, teaching assistant, and two brothers were killed.

shooter is a 17 year old facing 4 counts of 1st degree murder, 7 counts of attempted murder and a count of unauthorized possession of firearm...they cant release his name because he's underage.

What type of sentencing will he face because he's a minor?

StylinRed 01-24-2016 11:11 AM

^^ he'll be presumed an adult, given its murder, if found guilty, unless there's a compelling argument for him not to be.... but 4 murdered at separate crime scenes? gl with that

RRxtar 01-25-2016 11:21 AM

So they want to tear the school down and rebuild it to help residents get over the tragedy. So we're just going to tear buildings, schools, malls, and universities down and rebuild them to help people forget what happened there?

Maybe... we should put those millions of dollars into building community support and mental health facilities to help prevent these kinds of things from happening in the first place.