REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Honda / Acura Tech Resources (https://www.revscene.net/forums/honda-acura-tech-resources_310/)
-   -   Need diagnosis for RSX base/manual 2003 (https://www.revscene.net/forums/707482-need-diagnosis-rsx-base-manual-2003-a.html)

rentro 02-04-2016 09:40 PM

Need diagnosis for RSX base/manual 2003

Hi, I recently bought an RSX and with it came some problems.
Here is the list:
-The ecu reader says clutch selenoid valve
-Flickering right headlight
-Driver side door wont lock/unlock using keyfob
-Some of the climate control lights aren't on
-Not related is it expensive to get the negative camber back to normal?
Please give me some tips on how to fix those problems, thank you

mb_ 02-04-2016 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rentro (Post 8723928)
Hi, I recently bought an RSX and with it came some problems.
Here is the list:
Do you have the exact DTC?

Have you tried replacing the bulb?

Door lock actuator

Burnt out bulbs, replace them

It'll have a little bit of negative camber from the factory. Depends on the work/parts involved if it's excessively out. Could be a simple adjustment or something that's bent and needs to be replaced.

rentro 02-04-2016 09:57 PM

Do you have the exact DTC?
No, but I have researched it and it said it only appears on A/T RSX's

Have you tried replacing the bulb?
Not yet but sometimes it stays on for a while then goes out or flickers, might there be a chance of a loose connection?

Door lock actuator
Thank you, I will get that

Burnt out bulbs, replace them
Thank you

It'll have a little bit of negative camber from the factory. Depends on the work/parts involved if it's excessively out. Could be a simple adjustment or something that's bent and needs to be replaced.
I'm just wondering, is the camber from the factory so much that it wears out the inside part of the tire faster?

SSM_DC5 02-05-2016 12:20 AM

mb is probably right on the door lock actuator, but further verify if it is by seeing if it lock/unlock using the switch by the inside door handle. If it doesn't work, then door lock actuator.

For headlight, what's actually in there? Halogen bulb? HID? LED? either way, check connections before you start replacing things.

instructions for changing climate control lights DIY climate control lights - Club RSX Message Board

I ran my factory tires for ~60,000kms and they had even wear, so your alignment is most likely off from factory specs. You'll need to assess it like mb described.

rentro 02-05-2016 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSM_DC5 (Post 8723965)
mb is probably right on the door lock actuator, but further verify if it is by seeing if it lock/unlock using the switch by the inside door handle. If it doesn't work, then door lock actuator.
Using the keys work, its just the key fob that doesn't unlock the driver side door

For headlight, what's actually in there? Halogen bulb? HID? LED? either way, check connections before you start replacing things.
I bought it as is privately, so I'm not too sure. The guy whom I bought it from also moved out of the province so I have no way to contact him but I'll check the connections

instructions for changing climate control lights DIY climate control lights - Club RSX Message Board

I ran my factory tires for ~60,000kms and they had even wear, so your alignment is most likely off from factory specs. You'll need to assess it like mb described.

Will I be able to take it to a shop to get it re-aligned and if I can how, how much will it approx cost?

Berzerker 02-05-2016 09:32 AM

Is it lowered? If it's lowered you will need a rear camber kit to get it straightened out. If it's NOT lowered then there might be an actual issue with the suspension. Is it wearing on both rear tires or just 1?

Berz out.

SSM_DC5 02-05-2016 12:52 PM

I'm not talking about using the key.... I'm talking about the plastic switch that you move up and down when you're sitting inside the car. It's located beside the door handle.

You'll have to physically look at the bulb to see what it is, so pop the hood and look.

An alignment shop will be able to assess your suspension and tell you what needs to be done to fix it. Cost will vary, expect at least $100 to fix.

underscore 02-05-2016 01:20 PM

Was the car originally automatic? Or was the ECU swapped for one from an auto?

KrownRoyalty 02-05-2016 02:14 PM

Strange problem, you could get an alignment to fix the negative camber or if too big wheel spacers.

Fafine 02-05-2016 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underscore (Post 8724111)

this

twitchyzero 02-05-2016 07:08 PM

door lock actuator...it's a weak link in the rsx
climate control light just needs replacing me thinks

DavidNguyen 02-05-2016 07:27 PM

For the climate control. Did you have the dash above? Half of mine goes out until I bang it.

rentro 02-05-2016 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underscore (Post 8724111)

I'm not too sure about that being tranny swapped, ECU could be a possibility though but from using VIN decoders, I've found that the car was originally manual

rentro 02-05-2016 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSM_DC5 (Post 8724103)
I'm not talking about using the key.... I'm talking about the plastic switch that you move up and down when you're sitting inside the car. It's located beside the door handle.
Oh yes if I use that switch, it works on the other doors, passenger side and back

You'll have to physically look at the bulb to see what it is, so pop the hood and look.

An alignment shop will be able to assess your suspension and tell you what needs to be done to fix it. Cost will vary, expect at least $100 to fix.

Okay thanks

underscore 02-05-2016 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rentro (Post 8724233)
I'm not too sure about that being tranny swapped, ECU could be a possibility though but from using VIN decoders, I've found that the car was originally manual

Sounds like it's the ECU that was swapped then. If the RSX has an immobilizer tied into the ECU this might explain your lock issue as well (if someone swapped out all the locks + matching ECU for whatever reason).

Regardless, you'll want to look up manual swap thread to sort out what needs to be done to the ECU to clear the code, hopefully it'll be something simple like grounding a wire or moving a jumper inside the ECU.

rentro 02-05-2016 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underscore (Post 8724261)
Sounds like it's the ECU that was swapped then. If the RSX has an immobilizer tied into the ECU this might explain your lock issue as well (if someone swapped out all the locks + matching ECU for whatever reason).

Regardless, you'll want to look up manual swap thread to sort out what needs to be done to the ECU to clear the code, hopefully it'll be something simple like grounding a wire or moving a jumper inside the ECU.

Should I be worried about this problem or will it be harmful to the car if I drive it?

Also, yeah I'm positive about the immobilizer being attached to the ECU but how do I know for sure if it's the actuator or the immobilizer?

underscore 02-06-2016 07:36 AM

That's something you'd need to find out from the RSX forums, when I swapped the Prelude I needed to move a jumper in the ECU to disable the auto trans checks otherwise there was a CEL and VTEC was disabled.

As for your lock the issue is still with the actuator (the immobilizer should have no control over that) but if the ECU was swapped the locks were likely swapped as well, so odds are somebody didn't do something properly in the door when swapping parts around.

rentro 02-06-2016 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underscore (Post 8724324)
That's something you'd need to find out from the RSX forums, when I swapped the Prelude I needed to move a jumper in the ECU to disable the auto trans checks otherwise there was a CEL and VTEC was disabled.

As for your lock the issue is still with the actuator (the immobilizer should have no control over that) but if the ECU was swapped the locks were likely swapped as well, so odds are somebody didn't do something properly in the door when swapping parts around.

Sorry I'm not too familiar with cars but how do you "move a jumper in the ECU to disable the auto trans checks?

underscore 02-06-2016 01:43 PM

It depends on the car, some don't give a shit whether it's an auto or a manual, and others do. As I said before you'll have to do some digging into how your particular car works.

Berzerker 02-06-2016 02:03 PM

If you bought a converted RSX, and it's got problems, at this point I would say sell it and buy one that is factory MT.

Berz out.

SSM_DC5 02-06-2016 02:18 PM

I'm confused

1. OP says the vin indicates the car should be manual, but I don't see where the OP says if the car now is auto or manual.

2. Why would someone swap door locks when swapping ecu's?

Berzerker 02-06-2016 02:53 PM

They wouldn't swap locks but if the ECU is reading something wrong with the transmission it might not let the actuator work from the fob as a part of the theft system?

Berz out.

rentro 02-06-2016 08:56 PM

As I said, I don't think it was converted from auto to manual because I did a background check on the car and it said manual. Unless it also changes from the records somehow. But the ECU being swapped from manual to auto could be a possibility. I'm just trying to make sure since buying an ECU and figuring out that it wasn't the problem would just make me end up wasting money.