REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Food & Fine Dining (https://www.revscene.net/forums/food-fine-dining_33/)
-   -   Toronto/ Montreal go to eats (https://www.revscene.net/forums/707803-toronto-montreal-go-eats.html)

mk1freak 02-25-2016 03:36 PM

Toronto/ Montreal go to eats

Going to Toronto/Montreal in early May what are some of your must eat places?
planning itinerary and could use some suggestions, breakfast, lunch, dinner, drinks all ideas appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

jinxcrusader 02-27-2016 08:52 AM

Montreal - La Banquise
best poutine in your lifetime

Liquid_o2 02-29-2016 09:23 AM

Toronto, you have to go to The Stockyards on St. Clair Avenue. Get the Beast Style burger and thank me later. The fried chicken dinner is also really good there.

For other really great burgers check out Burger Priest and Holy Chuck, Vancouver has nothing on Toronto's burger scene.

Kensington Market has a ton of great places to eat. You will have to come multiple times to check it all out, or just stay the day and keep eating.
- Seven Lives tacos (fish tacos)
- Rasta Pasta (amazing jerk chicken)
- Urban Herbivore (huge customizable salads)
- Jumbo Empanadas (need I say more?)
- Cafe Pamenar (grab a coffee and sit on their back patio if it is sunny)

Teroni is pretty good for Italian food, they have a few locations in the city.
Salad King on Yonge Street for cheap good Thai food

King Street West is really hopping now (King and Spadina). They have a ton of great places popping up. WVRST is a fun beer hall with good sausages and a nice selection of beer. Their duck fat fries are indulgent.

For bars, Bar Volo on Yonge Street is one of my favorites. Tiny place but awesome selection of rotating taps on a daily basis. C'est What (St Lawrence Market), and The Only Cafe (Danforth) are good as well depending where you are in the city.

mk1freak 02-29-2016 11:49 AM

just my type of foods, man im gonna gain weight....:okay:

bcrdukes 02-29-2016 12:48 PM

+1 on Terroni in Toronto. I've only been to the one on Queen Street.

GLOW 02-29-2016 01:43 PM

montreal - schwartz's deli for a smoked meat sandwich. line up sucks though and packed as hell. i'm sure you can get equal quality smoked meat somewhere else but that was the place i went to when i was there.

jackmeister 02-29-2016 02:15 PM

Joe Beef and Au Pied du Cuchon in Montreal.

Maybe go with someone in case of heart attack :badpokerface:

Slifer 03-03-2016 08:50 AM

Schwartz is overrated and a waste of time IMO

CCA-Dave 03-03-2016 11:25 AM

In Montreal, I have three favourite places I always try and hit:

L'Entrecôte Saint-Jean
- L'Entrecote St-Jean Note that they only have one thing on the menu...think about that for a moment. One. Thing. You start the meal with their soup of the day, moving onto the Walnut salad. Then it's the Steak Frites, followed by profiteroles au chocolat. $31.75pp. I will fully admit you can get a "better meal" elsewhere by paying more, but for the price this place is fantastic and consistent. Never had a bad meal here. Recommended as a do-not-miss lunch, or dinner option for a lighter budget.

Poutineville Beaubien - La Meilleure Poutine En Ville | Poutineville You can't visit Montreal without having Poutine, and the argument of "which one is best" will reign for all time. Everyone has their preference, and I have tried them all. Poutineville is the one that I schedule my Montreal flights around. Forget the menu or selected options, grab the supplied golf-pencil and check list and create your own stellar poutine.

Le Milsa - Le Milsa ? Brazilian Steakhouse For evening dining Montreal suggestions are likely going to have you heading to Rue Crescent, which is a popular street full of amazing selections. You could dine, for instance, at Jacque Villeneuve's "Le Newton"...but I am always going around the corner to Le Milsa on Bishop Street. All you can eat Brazillian buffet (they bring the meat to your table), and reasonably priced. Good atmosphere for meeting with friends and having a great meal together.

-Dave

dru 03-03-2016 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackmeister (Post 8732809)
Joe Beef and Au Pied du Cuchon in Montreal.

Maybe go with someone in case of heart attack :badpokerface:

I went to both when I was in Montreal in October. If you plan on going I would make reservations now because they're super busy. I made reservations in July for October and when I tried to change them in August they were full already. You can try walk in but you might be waiting a long time.

Between the two restaurants I would go to Joe Beef instead. Service was better and I preferred the ambiance. I sat on the right side of the restaurant by the oyster bar and the menu is above the bar, in French. We asked the server what she recommended and we gave her a budget ($120 for 2) and she made a custom menu for us (5 dishes) We basically had a sampling of all the best selling dishes, which was awesome value for the price. I couldn't move afterwards I was so stuffed. We tipped her huge because we had such an awesome time there. My reservation was at 5pm, right when they open so that might be why she was able to get the kitchen to do that.

Au Pied Du Cochon did not live up to the hype unfortunately. The atmosphere was good but I felt more comfortable at Joe Beef. The food was a bit gimmicky, especially the chicken in a can, but it was good, but not worth the price in my opinion. The dessert, pudding in a can, was good and better value (15?). The savoury tarts were amazing though. Almost everything on the menu has some element of fois gras so if you like that you'd love this place.

Schwartz is a neat place to check out. We went at 1030 and there were no lines, but it was filling up quick. We walked in, sat ourselves at the bar, ordered, ate, and was out by 11. I liked it but it's pricey, I think I paid $28 after tax and tip for 2 sandwiches, 2 pop, and 1 pickle. If you have the time definitely check it out just so you can say you did.

For a chill bar with a massive beer selection, check out Vices et Versa.

Just typing all this makes me want to go back to Montreal! We loved the city, has much more to offer than Vancouver. Have fun!

dru 03-03-2016 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jinxcrusader (Post 8731868)
Montreal - La Banquise
best poutine in your lifetime

Yes! You should go here too, the best part is they're 24/7! You leave smelling like fried food though but definitely worth it to check out, this place is an institution!

For breakfast, I recommend Beauty's, traditional Jewish diner. I think Bourdain went here too.

PJ 03-04-2016 07:23 AM

I'm back and forth regularly between Vancouver and Toronto.

Toronto - If you feel like going out for a bit of a fancier dinner, I recommend Lee Restaurant on King Street West - owned by Iron Chef Susur Lee. One of the best restaurants I've ever eaten at. Considering the quality of food you're getting, the prices aren't unreasonable either. For 4 people, it came to around $330 including tip, and we waay over-ordered drinks, appies, desserts, everything, to the point where we barely had room to even get to dessert.