REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   ICBC - Request your Driving Records online (https://www.revscene.net/forums/707895-icbc-request-your-driving-records-online.html)

Presto 03-03-2016 01:28 PM

ICBC - Request your Driving Records online

https://onlinebusiness.icbc.com/clio/

Quote:

VANCOUVER – British Columbia drivers can now find their driving history and insurance records online.

The Insurance Corp. of B.C., says a free, online tool allows customers to request driving records and immediately receive them by email.

A release from ICBC says the records, known as abstracts, provide details of a person’s basic driving history, including tickets and offences for the last five years.

Customers can also access insurance and claims history records that outline a driver’s coverage for up to 20 years through data that ICBC says is secured.

It says driving records are often necessary when applying for membership at a car-sharing company, volunteer driving for school activities or to obtain auto insurance outside the province.

Last year, the corporation handled requests for more than 500,000 driver’s abstracts and nearly 97,000 insurance and claims history reports and says the online system will serve its customers better.
Emphasis mine. I really hope it is secure, and we're not hearing about a leak next week :P

I requested my driving record and my claims history. It arrived to my email in less than a minute.

bluejays 03-03-2016 01:35 PM

Just tried it out, works good and don't have to spend 15 mins on the phone!

jtanner_ 03-03-2016 01:51 PM

Also got my results within minutes... Didn't realize it shows you the amount paid out if someone is injured in an accident.

I rear ended someone in 2011 and it says:

Quote:

06Sep2011 yes Loss Payment made

Payment outstanding

Bodily Injury $47,430.00 no
I think I rear ended her (Woman in her, maybe mid 30's) going maybe 15/20... She seemed totally fine afterwards too... I understand some injuries aren't apparent until even days after, but it seems like one hell of a payout. Going to try to find the photos lol.

yray 03-03-2016 02:01 PM

Quote:

Kinds of Loss

29Aug2015 yes Loss Payment made Payment outstanding

Collision $.00 yes

Property Damage $.00 yes
I got into a 50/50 ... Property damage is for the deductible?

Traum 03-03-2016 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Presto (Post 8733767)
Emphasis mine. I really hope it is secure, and we're not hearing about a leak next week :P

If you ask me, it is not at all secure.

The problem lies with them emailing the records out. Your DOB, home address, etc. among numerous other personal info are all there, and they are getting sent out through email, unencrypted. Email is inherently insecure.

With ICBC being a crown corp, I am utterly surprised that they received the go-ahead to do this. More than any other institutions or organizations, public institutions have to follow strict policies to comply with the provincial FIPPA laws and the federal privacy laws. At a minimum, I would have expected them to encrypt the personal records using a password, and subsequently sending you the encrypted records and the password in 2 different emails.

smoothie. 03-03-2016 02:05 PM

I've gotten the abstract online before. The claims thing is cool, always wondered how much the other party got in injury.

:thumbs:

Mikoyan 03-03-2016 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traum (Post 8733780)
If you ask me, it is not at all secure.

The problem lies with them emailing the records out. Your DOB, home address, etc. among numerous other personal info are all there, and they are getting sent out through email, unencrypted. Email is inherently insecure.

With ICBC being a crown corp, I am utterly surprised that they received the go-ahead to do this. More than any other institutions or organizations, public institutions have to follow strict policies to comply with the provincial FIPPA laws and the federal privacy laws. At a minimum, I would have expected them to encrypt the personal records using a password, and subsequently sending you the encrypted records and the password in 2 different emails.

I can't even email out client's billing records at my workplace, b/c email's been deemed unsecure by Legal.

Also, keeping a copy in your email really opens up ID theft options if your email gets hacked. DOB, DL, & address all on one document? Score!

Digitalis 03-03-2016 05:36 PM

Dont worry they'll secure these right up like they do in Texas, where they scan your fingerprints at renewal.

dared3vil0 03-03-2016 06:52 PM

Weird. It said it worked but then I got an auto email that said they were unable to provide the documents to me.

XplicitLuder 03-03-2016 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtanner_ (Post 8733775)
Also got my results within minutes... Didn't realize it shows you the amount paid out if someone is injured in an accident.

I rear ended someone in 2011 and it says:

I think I rear ended her (Woman in her, maybe mid 30's) going maybe 15/20... She seemed totally fine afterwards too... I understand some injuries aren't apparent until even days after, but it seems like one hell of a payout. Going to try to find the photos lol.

my manager was rear ended twice in the last 1.5 years. first time at about 70km/hr, came out with bumps and bruises.

second time, at about 30km/hr, it broke 3 vertebrates and he cant walk normally anymore..and is in a lot of pain for the last 2 months or so since it happened

Lomac 03-03-2016 09:21 PM

I'm curious what "Property damage" refers to.

My one at-fault accident a few years back:
Collision - $3245
Property Damage - $1538

I know there was definitely no damage to anything other than the two cars. At least there were no injury claims for it.

So I guess things like fire claims don't exist on these reports? :whistle:

dared3vil0 03-03-2016 10:08 PM

Interesting. I got it to work and i'm also showing a property damage.

heleu 03-04-2016 08:18 AM

The property damage in my report is definitely collision damage on the other vehicle.

Very Interesting though, apparently the other party claimed $40K bodily injury from an accident I had 14 years ago. I had no idea as I remember it being very minor.

jeedee 03-04-2016 08:28 AM

:suspicious:

can't access mine cause my ICBC keyword is incorrect?

prettttty sure I typed my mother's maiden name correctly lol

dared3vil0 03-04-2016 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeedee (Post 8734009)
:suspicious:

can't access mine cause my ICBC keyword is incorrect?

prettttty sure I typed my mother's maiden name correctly lol

That was my same problem the first time, it is without a capital. All lower case.

originalhypa 03-04-2016 08:47 AM

My only claim was back on April 1, 2000.
Collision $1,709.68, Property Damage $929.60
I hit a Chrysler in my civic.........

FailFishFailFishFailFish

The funny thing is, my claim is almost old enough to drive. 16 this year, baby!
:lol

ilovebacon 08-10-2016 06:49 PM

i got 9000$ for bodily and 1500$ for property damage back in 2014..
so does that mean that icbc already covered it or did my dad had to spit out money for the fees?

swiftshift 08-11-2016 11:25 AM

Wow cool!
Thanks for $haring