REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Windshield restoration or just a new windshield? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/707910-windshield-restoration-just-new-windshield.html)

The_AK 03-04-2016 10:15 AM

Windshield restoration or just a new windshield?

So I'm starting to get fed up with all the microchips from year to year erosion and hoping to get my windshield "restored" to get rid of all the small specks scattered across it. I'm wondering if there is a kit that can restore this, a company that does this, or would it be easiest to just get the entire thing replaced?

BoostedBB6 03-04-2016 10:20 AM

Replace the glass, that's the only option to fix that. A small rock chip or two could be filled, but the cost to do anything to the whole thing would be far more than the cost of a new one.

Berzerker 03-04-2016 10:51 AM

What car? I checked on a new windscreen for my CRV and it was only $300 installed.

Berz out.

Reeyal 03-04-2016 01:39 PM

If your vehicle doesn't have rain sensor or lane departure warning, the windshield replacement isn't that expensive. I replaced mine for about $250.
However, with the same model car as mine with rain sensor and lane departure warning included, the replacement windshield cost was quoted at $800.

BoostedBB6 03-04-2016 01:42 PM

E46 3 series I believe is the vehicle.

The_AK 03-04-2016 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoostedBB6 (Post 8734137)
E46 3 series I believe is the vehicle.

Correcto

death_blossom 03-09-2016 09:18 PM

I've looked into this option myself several times in the past, as there is no windshield replacement available for my AE86.

The best solution I've been able to find is a compound called Cerium Oxide that you mix and polish into the windshield. It's something that hot rodders do as they run into the same problem with locating a windshield replacement.

dn53 03-09-2016 10:04 PM

^ back when I was a lot boy, I used to lather this shit over my windshield with super fine steel wool. We would put this on all sorts of cars with wiper complaints. Worked like a charm, everything was clear and my wipers chattered less and cleaned even better. Now - - whether clay barring the windshield has the same effect, I am unsure. Haven't had a chance to use cerium oxide since.

asma123 03-09-2016 10:51 PM

It's not that expensive to change a windshield usually in the $300 range. Someone mentioned rain sensor... You can always transfer it over to your new windshield. The main thing though is that you need a special gel pad that goes on the sensor.. Usually theyre $15-$20... I had the same thing with my X5. The rain sensor was missing the pad so I went to a glass replacement shop and asked if I could order the pad from them and yes I could. iirc it was around $17 for the pad. Hardest part is installing the pad properly. You have to do it slowly otherwise you'll create an air bubble.

!e.lo_ 03-09-2016 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dn53 (Post 8736098)
^ back when I was a lot boy, I used to lather this shit over my windshield with super fine steel wool. We would put this on all sorts of cars with wiper complaints. Worked like a charm, everything was clear and my wipers chattered less and cleaned even better. Now - - whether clay barring the windshield has the same effect, I am unsure. Haven't had a chance to use cerium oxide since.

you're still a lot boy. go fix my windshield

dn53 03-10-2016 12:28 PM

^ gonna report u for cyber bullying, hr gonna like dis

BoostedBB6 03-10-2016 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by death_blossom (Post 8736081)
I've looked into this option myself several times in the past, as there is no windshield replacement available for my AE86.

The best solution I've been able to find is a compound called Cerium Oxide that you mix and polish into the windshield. It's something that hot rodders do as they run into the same problem with locating a windshield replacement.

Daewoo/Chevrolet Nexia windshield is a 99% fit for the AE by the way. Just have to use a bit more epoxy in one spot and it fits. Cheap to.

death_blossom 03-12-2016 05:13 PM

^
what an interesting tid bit of information! where did you read/hear this? now to see if any local shops can get access to that windshield.

StanleyR 03-12-2016 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asma123 (Post 8736111)
It's not that expensive to change a windshield usually in the $300 range.

unless it's OEM, it'll never have the same strength and durability of the OEM unit (cracks easier, more prone to inconsistancies when new).

The good ones are usually at least 500-600+ for the glass alone and need to be ordered directly from the auto manufacturer/OEM supplier (i.e Carlite for Ford).

BoostedBB6 03-12-2016 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by death_blossom (Post 8737019)
^
what an interesting tid bit of information! where did you read/hear this? now to see if any local shops can get access to that windshield.

When I had my AE back in the day I was hunting for a replacement one and found a brand new OE one, but before I did I ended up putting one of these in. Loads of time measuring and hunting and then fitting it.

tegra7 03-12-2016 08:36 PM

Didn't read through all the comments There is no way to "restore"a pitted windshield. Op do you have comprehensive coverage? Is your deductible high? If you have a rain sensor and or lane departure the cheapest method would be through an icbc claim as long as your deductable is low. I've seen cars come in to our shop with $500-$1000 deducible. Ive ordered wind shields for high end cars which are $900+ for the windshield alone.