REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   DIY Oil Change (https://www.revscene.net/forums/707944-diy-oil-change.html)

RuffleCopterz 03-06-2016 09:03 PM

DIY Oil Change

For those that do their own oil changes and then reset the oil indicator life. How do you know when your other services are due for a checkup? Resetting the oil life indicator will throw this off right?

Warranty on my is up soon and I'm wondering if it's common to take it to the dealership to have them have a check up? Haven't had a maintenance reminder show up and this is probably due to resetting the oil life right?

westopher 03-06-2016 09:05 PM

What kind of car? Resetting my oil service light doesn't reset my inspection light IIRC. For those that are involved enough to do their own oil changes probably have better knowledge of when things need to be replaced on their car over a service light anyways.

dn53 03-06-2016 09:16 PM

Oil life sounds like honda or acura so if thats the case..

Before you reset the oil indicator, a number or letter will flash before finalizing the reset. you can find information online as of what that number or letter corresponds to. If you let your reminder hit 15% (I think this is when the wrench comes on), the letter or number will show up.

eg A = oil change, B = Brake service and oil change,
1= Tire rotation 2 = Engine air filter and cabin air filter, 3 = Transmisison fluid

underscore 03-06-2016 09:29 PM

The owners manual should have a section detailing what's supposed to be done at what mileage interval, so I'd follow that. On my higher mileage/out of warranty vehicles I just do the fluids per the schedule and then take them to my friends shop (non dealer) for a quick check once a year. I'd never take a vehicle to a dealer for a check up as they'll come up with a list of things a mile long, and most of them will be ages from actually being due.

Gucci Mane 03-06-2016 09:45 PM

^ yup, check the owners manual. if for whatever reason you dont have it OP, google. everything is available online.

Nlkko 03-06-2016 10:13 PM

Change it on schedule, no need for some silly light.

Reeyal 03-07-2016 07:35 AM

If you're doing your own oil changes, you can easily do other scheduled consumable items.
I just go with my owner's manual regular maintenance schedule. Pretty straight forward.
Obviously, while under the car, do a visual inspection of all joints and bolts and lube accordingly. Again, I just follow the steps in the owner's manual. The service techs at the dealer do the same things. The only difference is they charge $110 an hour.

If you're stuck with something, Google and YouTube are your best friend.

RuffleCopterz 03-07-2016 04:56 PM

Yup it's an Acura.

What about tire rotations? Haven't done one for 2.5 years, do you guys have your own trusted mechanic or take to dealership?

twitchyzero 03-07-2016 05:03 PM

if you're gonna be jacking it up for oil change...might as well rotate tires since 2.5 yrs. Be sure to check if the tires are directional (ie front and back or criss-cross)

AzNightmare 03-07-2016 08:38 PM

If you're going down the path of DIY, you might as well learn how to do all the other basic things. I just recently bought a new car a few months ago and am also trying to learn to do all the basic stuff myself.

Rotating tires are one of the easiest things to do, but also one of the most disastrous if something goes wrong (like a tire falling off). Just youtube how to do it, and make sure you tighten your lugs with a torque wrench. No need to take it into a shop for that.

underscore 03-07-2016 10:08 PM

Rotating tires and changing oil yourself instead of going to the dealer quickly pays off the tools needed to do it.

AzNightmare 03-09-2016 03:41 PM

Since I am learning myself and going through the DIY path.

What kind of things should I be checking for as basic maintenance? My car is new so I have a fresh start.

I already do my own oil changes and tire rotations. But what are some of the other things, like coolant fluid,etc. that I should be checking and as a guide, how many km's before I should be changing those things?

Tapioca 03-09-2016 03:48 PM

If you can rotate your tires, you can change your brake fluid. It should be done every 2-3 years.

In the old days, you would need to change your coolant every 3-4 years. I know some manufacturers use long-life coolant which extends the coolant change interval, but check your manual.

A cabin air filter is often an overlooked maintenance item. That should be changed every couple of years. Ditto for your engine air filter.

underscore 03-09-2016 07:25 PM

Go buy a coolant tester from Princess Auto or Canadian Tire, they're cheap and it'll tell you the freezing and boiling point of your coolant so you can tell when it's time to change it.