REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Selling car to American (https://www.revscene.net/forums/708013-selling-car-american.html)

pb.kidz 03-10-2016 08:46 AM

Selling car to American

I am selling my car to a US resident today, they are coming to me in Vancouver and paying cash so they will be doing all the export process themselves. Is there anything I need to watch out for? I'm going to ask to take a copy of their license and stuff.

EDIT:
Deal went smooth. Buyer gave me cash, we went to a autoplan insurance place and did the transfer form process and they went on their way. US buyers do not get charged the tax

jasonturbo 03-10-2016 09:05 AM

All you need to worry about is getting paid, so long as you have the cash in hand it should be no problem.

If the buyer is paying with a darft, head to your bank with the buyer, have your bank confirm the funds are available and legit before handing over the keys.

bcuzracecarz 03-10-2016 09:20 AM

Just did this this past weekend. Only I did it without the guy having a passport, much more annoying.

Make sure the money is official and legit before you part ways, don't wanna get burned by that first and foremost. If they are doing it themselves they will need a few things, (letter of compliance from manufacturer, dot sticker), make sure you write up a bill of sale for him and then staple the icbc registration tear off piece to it for him. And then keep the rest of the stuff for you. (old registration and transfer paper, in case something goes down at the border it'll cover your ass)

SkunkWorks 03-10-2016 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcuzracecarz (Post 8736184)
Just did this this past weekend. Only I did it without the guy having a passport, much more annoying.

Make sure the money is official and legit before you part ways, don't wanna get burned by that first and foremost. If they are doing it themselves they will need a few things, (letter of compliance from manufacturer, dot sticker), make sure you write up a bill of sale for him and then staple the icbc registration tear off piece to it for him. And then keep the rest of the stuff for you. (old registration and transfer paper, in case something goes down at the border it'll cover your ass)

He had no passport? How did he manage to pick up the car then?

Presumably you didn't drive it across the border.

bcuzracecarz 03-10-2016 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkunkWorks (Post 8736196)
He had no passport? How did he manage to pick up the car then?

Presumably you didn't drive it across the border.

They let him look at it with just a drivers license and a birth certificate and then did some paperwork on Canadian side, then went over to the American side and they did the inspection and filed the paperwork and he paid duty. Pretty easy process just didn't think they would let him in with just a birth cert and a drivers license. He neglected to tell me he didn't have a passport from the start even though I asked, just said it won't be a problem for him to get across, I assumed that meant he had one...since that IS the way you get across. Whatever, I got my 'murican money and went our separate ways so I'm happy

TouringTeg 03-10-2016 12:07 PM

Did the buyer bring plates to drive it home?

My 993 is being picked up my a buyer from Oregon next week. He will fly here and drive it home. I was going to make a thread but here is what I have learned but I will put it here. Keep in mind that US buyers are not familiar with importing from Canada like many Canadians are familiar with the process. You may have to guide them through depending on who the buyer is.
  • Receive deposit via PayPal or wire transfer.
  • Exchange pictures of drivers licenses as a quick way to build trust
  • Receive balance via wire transfer or cash / cashier cheque in person. Verify funds before letting the car go.
  • Print out a copy of the ad for your buyer. Sometimes the border will want to see it. Keep a copy.
  • Fill out a Bill of Sale for your buyer. Keep a copy.
  • To be extra safe Fill out a BC Transfer Form and keep the sellers copy. This is also acceptable as a Bill of Sale.
  • Sign and tear of your registration slip. We don't have titles in Canada and they will need this when they go to register the vehicle.
  • You need a compliance letter from the manufacturer or a US DOT sticker (My car has the sticker in drivers' side door jam)
  • When the buyer arrives go to an insurance broker with them so they car purchase a Temporary Operating Permit (TOP). Anywhere from 1-15 days and will cost your buyer approximately $25-30 per day depending on coverage and duration
  • Remove your plates if attached and check for anything left in the vehicle like your favourite U2 Greatest Hits CD
  • Give the buyer any maintenance records and spare parts
  • Wave good buy and do a
    :chairdance:

pb.kidz 03-10-2016 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TouringTeg (Post 8736259)
Did the buyer bring plates to drive it home?

My 993 is being picked up my a buyer from Oregon next week. He will fly here and drive it home. I was going to make a thread but here is what I have learned but I will put it here. Keep in mind that US buyers are not familiar with importing from Canada like many Canadians are familiar with the process. You may have to guide them through depending on who the buyer is.
  • Receive deposit via PayPal or wire transfer.
  • Exchange pictures of drivers licenses as a quick way to build trust
  • Receive balance via wire transfer or cash / cashier cheque in person. Verify funds before letting the car go.
  • Print out a copy of the ad for your buyer. Sometimes the border will want to see it. Keep a copy.
  • Fill out a Bill of Sale for your buyer. Keep a copy.
  • To be extra safe Fill out a BC Transfer Form and keep the sellers copy. This is also acceptable as a Bill of Sale.
  • Sign and tear of your registration slip. We don't have titles in Canada and they will need this when they go to register the vehicle.
  • You need a compliance letter from the manufacturer or a US DOT sticker (My car has the sticker in drivers' side door jam)
  • When the buyer arrives go to an insurance broker with them so they car purchase a Temporary Operating Permit (TOP). Anywhere from 1-15 days and will cost your buyer approximately $25-30 per day depending on coverage and duration
  • Remove your plates if attached and check for anything left in the vehicle like your favourite U2 Greatest Hits CD
  • Give the buyer any maintenance records and spare parts
  • Wave good buy and do a
    :chairdance:

Awesome! Thanks. The car is EX-US so it has the DOT / EPA stickers in it.

TouringTeg 03-10-2016 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TouringTeg (Post 8736259)
  • Wave good buy and do a

^ A sure sign I have been spending too much time in the Craigslist good buy thread :drunk: