REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vacations and World Travel (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vacations-world-travel_246/)
-   -   New York 7am-3pm (https://www.revscene.net/forums/708090-new-york-7am-3pm.html)

rageguy 03-15-2016 11:12 AM

New York 7am-3pm

I'll be landing at 7am on a weekday and can't check in to the hotel until 3pm. Can anyone suggest places to eat in New York from 8am onward? Preferably close by so Uber won't be too expensive.

ilovebacon 03-15-2016 11:14 AM

try yelp app

rageguy 03-15-2016 12:27 PM

Do I trust the online population of Yelp consisting of a variety of demographics, or the typical RS guys who are all around my age of 18-30, mostly with the same interests?

Thanks, I have been looking on Yelp for days, I have a list already based on places with 1000+ reviews, but that may not be as worthy as a restaurant you guys may like.

ZN6 03-15-2016 01:05 PM

In Manhattan? From what I remember, there's plenty of places to eat at on 5th ave in midtown.

The most memorable place for me is still Katz Deli. It's like the easiest to remember because of the portion, but then it wasn't cheap for a sandwich, I think it was like 15-16 USD, but it was a damn fine sandwich. At 8am I kept my breakfast simple to a bagel and coffee. As I recall, there weren't many amazing places to eat breakfast in NYC.

ZN6 03-15-2016 01:06 PM

Also, I remember going to Hide-Chan Ramen, it was decent ramen and far from the best I've ever had but it's still good.

rageguy 03-15-2016 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZN6 (Post 8737950)
Also, I remember going to Hide-Chan Ramen, it was decent ramen and far from the best I've ever had but it's still good.

Thanks, going to check out Katz and also Hide. :)

syee 03-16-2016 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rageguy (Post 8737894)
I'll be landing at 7am on a weekday and can't check in to the hotel until 3pm. Can anyone suggest places to eat in New York from 8am onward? Preferably close by so Uber won't be too expensive.

When you say close by, where exactly in New York are you going to be? I'm assuming you're going to be somewhere in Manhattan? Midtown? Downtown? Somewhere else?

rageguy 03-16-2016 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by syee (Post 8738209)
When you say close by, where exactly in New York are you going to be? I'm assuming you're going to be somewhere in Manhattan? Midtown? Downtown? Somewhere else?

I'll be near Time Square, but am more than willing to walk/Uber/subway to locations. I have many hours of boredom after all.

syee 03-16-2016 03:37 PM

Around Times Square is mostly tourist traps. :P

A couple of ones I can think of off the top of my head are Carmines (Italian), Juniors (for their cheesecake) right in Times Square.

There's probably a much better selection once you get out of midtown. A few places I went to last time I was in NY were Pig and Khao (Thai) and Lupa (Italian). You could always try the local street food (pizza, hotdogs) as well.

If you're landing at LaGuardia, then Flushing is the "Richmond" of New York if you want to try your luck Chinese Food. Chinatown is in downtown Manhattan (Canal St area) if you want to try that.

ZN6 03-16-2016 09:59 PM

I would not bother with uber/taxi if you can get a 7 day metro pass for like $31. Manhatten is tiny and you can get just about anywhere in the city in a matter of minutes by taking the subway. It's really easy with google if you plan your routes ahead of time. I walked pretty much everywhere and there's a lot to take in while you walk. If you so desire to get to queens or brooklyn, the train is plenty quick without any of the traffic.

When I was in brooklyn at the garden i walked back to midtown where my hotel was just so that I can cross the brooklyn bridge. I kid you not, i lost like 20lbs on vacation.

ZN6 03-16-2016 10:02 PM

Also the South west is the hipster area if you are into that kind of thing. Little italy is like right beside chinatown if you wanna visit. There's a one off dumpling place in a small alley that was super cheap and super juicy dumplings were served. Can't remember the name but it should be pretty well known. But just a quick google just now, it was called prosperity dumpling.