REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   North Korea sentences 21 year old U.S. student for 15 years of hard labour (https://www.revscene.net/forums/708103-north-korea-sentences-21-year-old-u-s-student-15-years-hard-labour.html)

Great68 03-16-2016 05:37 PM

Wow, that's a harsher penalty than we give out for a lot of murders in Canada.

Seriously though, North Korea is a shit stain that needs to be nuked the fuck off the face of the earth already.

Verdasco 03-16-2016 05:37 PM

looks like an actor.... wtf is up with that crying speech?!?! def looks fishy.... probably north korea trying to make themselves look scary

TOPEC 03-16-2016 10:10 PM

im more surprised he was granted a visa to enter with an american passport, we all know how much NK HATES anything remotely american. that is unless he snuck in illegally.

yray 03-16-2016 10:14 PM

^ Koryo Tours - Tours & Tour Dates

CRS 03-16-2016 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great68 (Post 8738425)

Seriously though, North Korea is a shit stain that needs to be nuked the fuck off the face of the earth already.

Well, that's probably because we have human rights here and they have that pesky three generation of punishment thing going on there.

twitchyzero 03-16-2016 10:42 PM

wow pretty harsh stance ITT

I feel sympathetic for foreigners that get heavy sentence/death penalty for non-violent crime because they likely won't get fair trial. I totally agree with the 'respect the house rules' mantra but people are stupid and make mistakes...to me that shouldn't automatically mean they're on the firing squad's hit list or have to endure labour camp.

this news from last year is kinda relevant:
http://www.aljazeera.com/mritems/Ima...56cd56d_18.jpg

CharlesInCharge 03-16-2016 11:19 PM

This guy watched too many Matt Damon, Bourne Identity movies (I think they go upto 5 now) to do run a mission like this... what if he was an agent that the government sent to purposely get caught and be the sacrificial lamb to open up dialogue with the Supreme Leader.
NK threatened to preemptively Nuke the U.S. because of the hundreds and thousands of U.S. soldiers gathering along the boarder to do drills.

Now thats what I call a sovereign country.

hotong 03-17-2016 08:24 AM

Hard labour in North Korea:

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

flagella 03-17-2016 08:28 AM

If this story is true, he's one hell of a fking retard.

ZN6 03-17-2016 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great68 (Post 8738425)

Canada: Humane treatment to all whether you are a criminal or not.

North Korea: Inhuman treatment to all of their citizens unless you can provide benefit to the DPRK's current regime (like joining their army). Barbaric treatment to those who commit even the pettiest of crimes. As a citizen once you become a criminal, your entire family for generations become criminals and you are truly fucked. Modify a radio issued by the government? You are a criminal.

It is an offence to the North Korean people if you even take a picture of political leaders and they are not fully in the picture. If authorities can somehow twist the story (which would be highly likely) that you deliberately took a picture cutting off a portion of the leader then you will be a criminal. Death would be a true blessing if you are a convicted criminal in North Korea.

I think "harsher" is putting it lightly. They truly set the bar low on quality of life and then it only goes down from there as a normal citizen.

ZN6 03-17-2016 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timpo (Post 8738387)
I do feel that the punishment is quite severe, but I bet a lot people on RS will agree that when you were a kid, you go to someone else's house as a guest, when you come back home, you brag about what you stole from their house.
I bet many of us would've got in huge shit and ass beaten by the parents for doing stupid shit like that.

:suspicious:

What the fuck?

First, you are comparing an adolescent kid who probably doesn't know any better to a fully-grown, educated adult who is conscious of what is right and wrong.

Second, I dunno who you hang out with, but I'm sure you'd lose that bet.

604STIG 03-17-2016 09:02 AM

I'm kind of surprised that the US still has travel restrictions for it's citizens trying to go to Cuba, but any of them can go to North Korea. Obviously, the situation with Cuba is an entirely different beast but just seems funny that Americans still look to travel to North Korea.

Nlkko 03-17-2016 09:36 AM

He's a dumb 21. He probably was shitting and pooping in his pants as he read that. Forget about crying.

They probably will settle some kind of deal though since this went viral.

Mr.Money 03-17-2016 10:21 AM

Russia is already calling Dibs on North Korea if anything goes down...But knowing those pussies,They can keep TALKING when the West is itching to start the next war.

http://www.funker530.com/see-the-inv...-nuke-strikes/

Ferra 03-17-2016 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flagella (Post 8738589)
If this story is true, he's one hell of a fking retard.

should've told them "It's just a prank bro!"

but honestly, we don't even know if he did what they said he did.
news said he "attempted" to steal a political banner. I take it that means he never actually stole the banner.

And unless this guy knows korean, he wouldn't have a glue what some random korean banner inside a hotel said

Edit: video of "him" stealing the banner:
the banner is like an 8ft long hard board, how do you even steal that :fuckthatshit:
no way you can tell who that person is from the video...
video conveniently cut off right after the person place the board on the floor

I feel like he is just being used as scrapegoat for NK to shame america

BBMme 03-17-2016 10:39 AM

What a dumb ass. If I was his parents I would be so disappointed in his action.

ZN6 03-17-2016 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drow (Post 8738418)
on the flip side i bet North Korea's government controlled media department is going nuts with this story

"foreigner feels the might of the Supreme Leader and begs for forgiveness"

"American in tears after he beholds the wrath of our Supreme Leader"

they loving this shit and this time, they have it live on camera

This guy was a tool and is a literal a tool now and this is the greatest thing that can happen to North Korea during this time of serious high-strung tension between the States and NK.

I think the message would be more along the lines of "This is the face of the Western imperialists, conniving, deceitful, untrustworthy, and dirty cowards in the face of our authority."

I would think that NK would want to strengthen the people's hate on (but not limited to) the western world, not to outright shame the guy.

NK is basically sensationalizing everything they say in order to strengthen their lie about how bad the rest of the world is and how they are the greatest nation in the universe to prevent their people from leaving and keeping the people under constant control through fear.

Eastwood 03-17-2016 04:29 PM

If North Korea ever lets this kid out he'll be forever known as a crying bitch by all his friends...

lowside67 03-18-2016 04:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eastwood (Post 8738745)
If North Korea ever lets this kid out he'll be forever known as a crying bitch by all his friends...

If they ever let him out, he'll be the guy who survived a North Korean prison camp. That holds a lot more water than crying when being sentenced/railroaded to a near death sentence. Simple mind much?

Mark

Nightwalker 03-18-2016 07:38 AM

I wouldn't wish that punishment on my worst enemy. He may have been an idiot and got himself jacked for his actions (who knows the real details, we're all of a sudden believing NK propaganda?), but I still have great sympathy. A death sentence would have been a mercy by comparison.

Hopefully his time as a political tool is short lived.

pastarocket 03-18-2016 07:58 AM

Maybe fat boy Kim will cut a deal with this American kid. :troll:

Kim: "If you can help me find my green cucumber submarine, I'll reduce your sentence". :lawl:

Berzerker 03-18-2016 08:57 AM

As soon as he is let go, like other political prisoners, he will say he was coerced into saying those things by the North Koreans. It's obvious he is faking the whole remorse bit. They probably gave him a script and said something like "If you read this and co-operate you will be let go eventually. If you don't you will be here for life" Pretty simple choice.
North Korea is paranoid about US spies. They use this propaganda to further their cause against the US.

Berz out.

Galactic_Phantom 03-18-2016 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eastwood (Post 8738745)

You'd be a crying bitch if you faced 15 years in a NK labour camp....

twitchyzero 06-19-2017 09:39 PM

so last week he was returned home by med evac and was comatose...i thought that was probably a very good outcome all things considered

then this

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...h-korea-prison

don't know what's worse...the American student's mysterious death or Kim's brother being taken out by a chemical weapon.

smoothie. 06-20-2017 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smoothie. (Post 8738321)
he's going to die there.

hmmm.