REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Is the GTR 34 allowed in Canada? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/708210-gtr-34-allowed-canada.html)

optiblue 03-24-2016 07:30 AM

Is the GTR 34 allowed in Canada?

I've seen a few online videos of a blue local GTR as well as one from the RS meet. Did these things finally pass here in Canada? I was under the impression that this particular model year was banned in NA?

swfk 03-24-2016 07:44 AM

They've been successfully registered legally without chopping it up. Just like any other 15+ year old RHD car.

inv4zn 03-24-2016 08:10 AM

What if you drive a Canadian registered/insured R34 to the US?

Aren't they still illegal down there?

N8 03-24-2016 08:43 AM

you're allowed to drive it there, you just can't sell/transfer it

RicePanda 03-24-2016 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N8 (Post 8740656)
you're allowed to drive it there, you just can't sell/transfer it

I'd be really careful, though. I was turned around at the border (in my RHD MKIV Supra) after an hour long interrogation because they'd insisted I was trying to sell the vehicle. Lots of yelling, insistence on the assumption that I was lying and that I should start 'telling the truth', and threats of having the car seized and being forced to leave on foot.

In their defense, I'd just bought the car like less than two weeks beforehand and was traveling down in a group of cars (and someone made the mistake of letting them know we were in a group), so things might have looked sketchy on paper.

boostfever 03-24-2016 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RicePanda (Post 8740750)
I'd be really careful, though. I was turned around at the border (in my RHD MKIV Supra) after an hour long interrogation because they'd insisted I was trying to sell the vehicle. Lots of yelling, insistence on the assumption that I was lying and that I should start 'telling the truth', and threats of having the car seized and being forced to leave on foot.

In their defense, I'd just bought the car like less than two weeks beforehand and was traveling down in a group of cars (and someone made the mistake of letting them know we were in a group), so things might have looked sketchy on paper.

Which border crossing did this happen at?

Driven with groups of RHD cars to states before and didn't have a problem.

twitchyzero 03-24-2016 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RicePanda (Post 8740750)

is your car modified?
just seems odd they would single you out and assume youre selling.

Retrac 03-24-2016 10:30 PM

Drove down multiple times in a RHD Type-R and never had a problem. Did you have temp plates?

SpartanAir 03-24-2016 11:29 PM

Wow, is this a real thread?

OP, it's the 15-year law. End of story. You can drive it in the US just like any other Canadian-registered car. The US has a 25-year import law, so they are not legal to buy there, save for the handful of them that slipped by.

/thread

missionsix 03-25-2016 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpartanAir (Post 8740852)
Wow, is this a real thread?

OP, it's the 15-year law. End of story. You can drive it in the US just like any other Canadian-registered car. The US has a 25-year import law, so they are not legal to buy there, save for the handful of them that slipped by.

/thread

^^^^ you are correct.
I registered my RHD ITR into Arizona title (where I live now) I drove with my BC license plate awhile and changed into AZ title.

SupraTTturbo2jz 03-29-2016 12:13 AM

anyone know what cbsa and us guards see on their screens when they scan your passport/nexus cards? canadian guards always asking if its my car, when did i purchase, how many cars do i have

rriggi 03-29-2016 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by missionsix (Post 8740957)
^^^^ you are correct.
I registered my RHD ITR into Arizona title (where I live now) I drove with my BC license plate awhile and changed into AZ title.

lol you are aware this is completely illegal?... State legal doesn't mean anything, just a matter of time before ICE shows up looking for the car. You can PM and ill explain in detail.

The fines start at 27K USD, and jail time is also not unheard of.

I've driven quite a few Skylines through the border and I can tell you right now driving RHD regardless of nexus or passport will throw up flags, and you can get denied entry for no reason. You can go down in a group, and one car may get singled out and interrogated for literally no reason. Driving an R34 GTR in particular will cause a problem due to the fact in California they sell for over 70-120k. Driving with a temp BC plate on RHD will get you pulled in 100%

If you are obviously crossing often enough, in the same RHD car newer than 25 years old, you are usually okay. I've crossed enough now in the Nexus lane in Skylines that they don't even ask a single question about the car anymore. It boils down to the officer and what they want to do, alot of people cross with no problem at all.

I've also bought a few of the cars back from the US Treasury still bearing the BC/ON plates they used to cross the border illegally so that they could be sold.

RicePanda 04-10-2016 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boostfever (Post 8740818)
Which border crossing did this happen at?

Driven with groups of RHD cars to states before and didn't have a problem.

Peace Arch. Car was bone stock. Like I said, it must've come up that I literally bought the car no more than two weeks before trying to drive it down. Otherwise there was literally nothing else that I could see that was sketchy.

Maybe someone got busted actually trying to sell their car just prior to that day, who knows.

smaggs 04-10-2016 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SupraTTturbo2jz (Post 8741853)
anyone know what cbsa and us guards see on their screens when they scan your passport/nexus cards? canadian guards always asking if its my car, when did i purchase, how many cars do i have

Crossing history and personal info. That's all at the booths.