REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Car hit while parked in a parking lot, go through ICBC? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/708333-car-hit-while-parked-parking-lot-go-through-icbc.html)

liukb 04-03-2016 12:39 AM

Car hit while parked in a parking lot, go through ICBC?

Hi all,

Had my car parked and when I came back I saw two notes left on my windshield since a car trying to back in to the spot beside me hit mine and scratched my rear driver side fender and rim.

The first note was a witness who saw the whole thing and gave me her contact info incase I needed photos of the damage/plate number of the other driver. She mentioned that the other driver wanted to leave until he saw her taking pics and so he left a note. His note left his number which I then contacted, he apologized and said he knows a body shop I can take it to fix it at and will cover the cost of the damages outside of ICBC.

I was wondering if it'd be a better idea to instead go through ICBC though to make sure its fully covered, since I'm not sure if I could be screwed over if I don't.

Thanks

underscore 04-03-2016 12:42 AM

Just go through ICBC, there's no benefit for you to do it outside of insurance so you may as well just do it right.

Fafine 04-03-2016 01:35 AM

meh, you dont owe the guy anything. Just call icbc and report it.

N8 04-03-2016 03:36 AM

^^^^^^^^^^

Sketchy, could be some mickey mouse shop too. Not to be trusted especially since it seems like he tried to pull a hit and run.

DavidNguyen 04-03-2016 07:28 AM

Report it to icbc then it can be your decision to go through with the claim through icbc or personally with the guy who hit you. Butnsince the guy tried to leave....

fliptuner 04-03-2016 07:30 AM

Most of the info in this thread applies to your situation. Give it a read.

http://www.revscene.net/forums/70803...side-icbc.html

bcrdukes 04-03-2016 09:22 AM

By law, you must report all accidents to ICBC.

thumper 04-03-2016 09:35 AM

contact the witness. get the evidence and all their contact info for icbc. then go file your claim. don't bother contacting the person that hit you. let icbc deal with them.

i know you want to avoid any claims history on your car, but these days it's just not worth it.

and thank your witness accordingly. wine, a gift basket, anything as a show of gratitude. we need more people like that.

wingies 04-03-2016 09:40 AM

I would never do it at "someone" else's shop. If they want to get it fixed outside of ICBC, it will be the choice of my own choosing.

The only potential benefits from settling outside ICBC would be

a) You had a friend who had a body shop and could repair it all for you for cheaper, and you could pocket the difference (if the person who hit agreed to give you cash for a quoted amount)
b) Your car would have no claims on it when you sell it in the potential future

But outside out that I see no point, as others noted, he wanted to hit and run you before he saw witnesses.

flagella 04-03-2016 10:58 AM

^this. If he agrees to do it at a shop of YOUR choice, there could be some benefits. Otherwise tell him to go fk himself and report it to ICBC. Coming from a guy who tried to run, I highly doubt he will choose a shop that's even remotely close to being a "legit" place.

bcrdukes 04-03-2016 11:50 AM

Given OPs situation, it doesn't matter whose shop he goes to. He still needs to report the accident to ICBC and let ICBC handle the claim, then deal with which shop to go to.

mickz 04-03-2016 02:13 PM

I've had this happen to me twice. First time I was in the car and second, I had a witness but unfortunately he didn't get the plate number so I had to pay the deductible.

During the first hit, the guy kept insisting I go out of my way and take it to his friend's shop in Surrey. I just filed ICBC, they found him 100% at fault and I took it to a shop of my choice with no deductible. You don't owe this guy any favors, he fucked up and now he's going to pay to fix it.

underscore 04-03-2016 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wingies (Post 8743689)
b) Your car would have no claims on it when you sell it in the potential future

On the flip side though, if I can see that a car has been repaired but nothing is listed on the claims history that's a bigger red flag than seeing that the car has a claim.

Mr.Money 04-03-2016 11:43 PM

why take the risk with shotty work?,you may get fucked over big time....if that's a risk you want to take,go ahead.

GLOW 04-04-2016 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thumper (Post 8743686)
and thank your witness accordingly. wine, a gift basket anything... we need more people like that.

curious if you're allowed to do something like that or can it be seen as a "give me $20 and i'll witness whatever you want" scenario. i know when i call in stuff one of the first questions is do you know anyone involved in the accident. does icbc ever ask "have you received anything from either party involved in the accident?"

Stealthy 04-04-2016 11:02 AM

Something similar happened to me, guy wanted me to take it to his shop choice (seemed sketchy af to me) or threatened that he wasn't gonna be involved in repairing my car. Went through ICBC. Problem solved.

Ball is in your court so don't feel like he has any leverage to make you feel like you should do him a favor.

Dragon-88 04-04-2016 11:20 AM

ICBC warranties their bodyshops. If you're unhappy with the results they must fix the problems until satified by both parties..

If you go 3rd party, and the shop does shitty work. they have no reason to warranty the work..

Always go ICBC, I could care less about it showing up as a claim on the car. That's just the nature of owning a vehicle..

- kT 04-04-2016 08:26 PM

the way i word it to my customers at work is that you're basically doing the other party a favor, by not claiming it and potentially having your car fixed at a shoddy body shop. all icbc repairs are lifetime guaranteed as long as the shop is icbc accredited - what guarantee would this guy's friends shop give you? the only time i would settle privately in a car accident is if the other party was a friend or family, and i was doing so to help them out. you don't owe the guy anything, nor do you need to be doing him any favors, especially if the witness said he wanted to leave until he knew he'd been caught. scum of the earth

liukb 04-04-2016 10:51 PM

Thanks guys, decided to go with ICBC as you guys have mentioned and going with a body shop of my choosing now instead

420dude 04-05-2016 08:55 PM

Lucky they left contact details.

swiftshift 04-06-2016 08:56 AM

I have been hit before in a parking lot and after two months I guess the person who had hit me felt guilty and just turned themselves in.
ICBC had phoned me months after and had said the person who had hit me will pay for the damages

GLOW 04-06-2016 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swiftshift (Post 8744712)
I have been hit before in a parking lot and after two months I guess the person who had hit me felt guilty and just turned themselves in.
ICBC had phoned me months after and had said the person who had hit me will pay for the damages

what if you already paid out of pocket and got it repaired, how does that work out then? show a receipt or prove your costs to get reimbursed?

- kT 04-08-2016 08:54 PM

^ yup, exactly. same as when you get your car fixed before the other party reports. assuming you're not at fault, you still have to pay your deductible first, but icbc reimburses directly once the other party reports+accepts liability