REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Simple question regarding seats (https://www.revscene.net/forums/708338-simple-question-regarding-seats.html)

matteblk 04-03-2016 12:51 PM

Simple question regarding seats

Is it legal to have the passenger seat removed? as long as seat belts are intact?

zulutango 04-03-2016 05:06 PM

If it is not being occupied I can't see a problem. Just being curious, why did you remove it? Is is a temporary thing or a long term plan?

Spidey 04-04-2016 08:51 AM

Why would you still need seat belts, if the seat is removed?

meme405 04-04-2016 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spidey (Post 8744001)

Because maybe he plans on putting it back later?

matteblk 04-04-2016 10:44 AM

Well I am wondering because the car in question in a dedicated build geared for autocross only, and just unbolting a seat all the time get to be a pain in the rear. Hence why I asked, but also the question in regards to seat-belts, is a few times I have heard that even though if you remove your rear seats the seat-belts must remain intact with the car. Wondering if the same applied to the front seats.

sebberry 04-04-2016 08:48 PM

Missing seat and/or seatbelt components may muck with the airbag system.

zulutango 04-05-2016 05:10 AM

Why not take a look at the provincial inspection manual? That might give you more info. You cannot remove doors or hoods but I'm not aware of anything in the act/regs that require seats if they are not being used. This is what the regs say..

Drivers' seats and belts
30 The driver's seat of a motor vehicle shall be tightly secured to the floor of the vehicle and shall be adequate to comfortably seat the driver in such a manner that he may safely operate the vehicle.

A vehicle to which section 220 of the Act applies shall be equipped with safety belts of a type set out in section 7.13 of the regulations.
Safety belts shall be available, be in good condition, and the belt buckle shall be in good working order.

sho_bc 04-05-2016 10:59 AM

I looked into this when I autocrossed my old car. If the car will still be used on the highways (MVA definition), it requires all factory installed safety equipment, which means seatbelts. There is no mention of seats, so I left the rear seat out when heading to Pitt Meadows.

If you want to make it a truly dedicated auto-x car, there is tons of weight savings you can do if you don't care about which category you race in and won't be driving it on the highways. You'd be trailering that thing around though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spidey (Post 8744001)

Because if the vehicle is used on the highways, you're required to have all factory-installed safety equipment (airbags, seatbelts, the bumper stuff underneath the outer facia, etc).