REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   FLF: frivolous lawsuit friday (https://www.revscene.net/forums/708407-flf-frivolous-lawsuit-friday.html)

originalhypa 04-08-2016 12:39 PM

FLF: frivolous lawsuit friday

I wonder if he was texting at the time?

BrokeBack

Quote:

CTV News Vancouver reported Thursday that the Canucks are being taken to court by a fan, Wayne Chi, who was struck by a puck two years ago during a game at Rogers Arena against the Anaheim Ducks on April 7, 2014. According to CTV, Chi suffered “serious injuries to his forehead, neck and back, as well as headaches, nausea and dizziness,” and he’s still battling symptoms from the injury to this day.

“He wants some kind of compensation for the fact that he did suffer an injury,” Chi’s lawyer, Manjot Hallen, told CTV. ”When you go to a hockey game, there should be an expectation that you’re not going to suffer an injury.”

The lawsuit states Chi has suffered permanent disability, loss of earning and “loss of enjoyment of life,” and Manjot said Chi wants “some form of acknowledgement that this incident occurred.”

In the Canucks’ ticket holder agreement, which appears online and on the back of tickets, fans are warned that the ticket holder “voluntarily assumes all rick and danger of personal injury and all hazards arising from or related in any way to attendance at the event.” There’s also a capitalized warning, which also appears on all tickets, that states pucks entering the seating area can cause injury and ticket holders are to be alert.
As a goalie, I get hit with 100 pucks every time I hit the ice. A few of them squeak through the gear, and have left nasty bruises.

But what kind of pussy is this guy?
2 years later, and he is complaining about head, back and neck injuries? Where did the puck hit him?

jeedee 04-08-2016 12:42 PM

There's also a warning message on the glass stating to watch out for flying pucks or w/e

doubt this guy is gonna get anything :lol

murd0c 04-08-2016 12:44 PM

as well it states on the back of the ticket watch for flying pucks...

At least it looks like the Canucks are going to actually win something this year :)

6o4__boi 04-08-2016 12:59 PM

I guess he was too busy chi-rping to notice the puck was on its wayne to his face.

At least he hasn't started a go fund me page for his legal fees...yet.

invader 04-08-2016 01:49 PM

Quote:

“voluntarily assumes all rick and danger
Maybe he was thinking about who is Rick? and not about danger

Majestic12 04-08-2016 02:27 PM

Injuries from pucks aren't anything new. And neither are lawsuits stemming from those injuries. Or in this case, death.

noclue 04-08-2016 02:52 PM

hmm it depends how good his lawyer is.

A while ago some british tourist won against whistler for injuries even though the ticket had that liability clause and there were signs by the chairlift about liability.

will068 04-08-2016 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Majestic12 (Post 8745468)
Injuries from pucks aren't anything new. And neither are lawsuits stemming from those injuries. Or in this case, death.

I don't think the child's family raised a lawsuit though. They would have won, but what's the point for them. That's why the NHL placed nets on end of the arenas afterwards.

In this case, obviously, you can all see that it's about $$$. If judges are stupid enough to side with criminals, I wouldn't be surprised if the plaintiff gets a pay out.

nabs 04-08-2016 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by will068 (Post 8745482)
I don't think the child's family raised a lawsuit though. They would have won, but what's the point for them. That's why the NHL placed nets on end of the arenas afterwards.

In this case, obviously, you can all see that it's about $$$. If judges are stupid enough to side with criminals, I wouldn't be surprised if the plaintiff gets a pay out.

See bolded.

Quote:

Legacy[edit]
The NHL implemented mandatory safety netting above the glass behind and to the sides of both ends of the rink in all arenas. The netting has also been implemented by other organizations in many arenas world-wide. A lawsuit brought by Brittanie's family against the NHL and the arena was settled out of court for $1.2 million in April 2004.[5][6] The Brittanie Nichole Cecil Memorial Scholarship Fund has since been created, which collects donations at every Blue Jackets home game.

will068 04-08-2016 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6o4__boi (Post 8745431)

The lawyer is probably some Saul Goodman character who only gets paid if his client wins. I wonder if Aquilini will just provide a new apt. as a settlement... hahahhha

Hondaracer 04-08-2016 04:05 PM

a couple years back i saw a kid get hit in the head with a puck at a game, was probably row 2-3

everyone in my section was like "ewwwwww!! WTF!!"

finally when i saw the kid, he had a fucking lump the size of half a tennis ball on his forehead lol fuck, it was nasty

left for a bit but ended up coming back lol

GLOW 04-08-2016 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murd0c (Post 8745425)
At least it looks like the Canucks are going to actually win something this year :)

http://i.imgur.com/rUxSz.gif

MG1 04-08-2016 05:07 PM

Waivers and warnings on tickets mean shit, unfortunately. It keeps the masses from filing lawsuits, but it is what it is.

Majestic12 04-08-2016 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by will068 (Post 8745484)
The lawyer is probably some Saul Goodman character who only gets paid if his client wins.

That's called a contingency fee, and it's basically the standard compensation scheme for personal injury lawsuits, not just for skeezy ambulance chaser-types.

Source: I iz lawyer.

Manic! 04-08-2016 06:18 PM

Full face helmets for everyone!!!

Mr.HappySilp 04-08-2016 10:13 PM

lol if he wins just image all the lawsuit that is going to happen. Not just form watching hockey but any sports where you could get hit IE baseball, basketball, tennis etc etc..... This guy need to man up.

Just image if he wins I am pretty sure they will make everyone who goes to a game sign a waiver stating you will no sue for any body injuries or you aren't allow to enter.

Raid3n 04-09-2016 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6o4__boi (Post 8745431)
I guess he was too busy chi-rping to notice the puck was on its wayne to his face.

2 hockey players come up the laneway the other day...