REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   7.0 magnitude earthquake strikes Japan after 6.2 quake struck two days earlier (https://www.revscene.net/forums/708473-7-0-magnitude-earthquake-strikes-japan-after-6-2-quake-struck-two-days-earlier.html)

pastarocket 04-15-2016 09:41 AM

7.0 magnitude earthquake strikes Japan after 6.2 quake struck two days earlier

It's been a really bad week for the Land of the Rising Sun. :heckno:

A 7.0 magnitude earthquake struck Japan's Kyushu island early Saturday morning. This earthquake follows a magnitude 6.2 quake that struck the southwest part of Japan two days earlier. Nine people died during the first quake which happened this week.

The epicenters of the two earthquakes are also near two nuclear power plants. :heckno:

7.0 quake strikes Japan after earlier one kills 9 - CNN.com

7.0-magnitude earthquake struck early Saturday morning in Japan's Kyushu island, the same region a magnitude-6.2 quake struck two days earlier.

The U.S. Geological Survey reported that the latest quake struck just west-southwest of Kumamoto-shi and about 8 miles south-southeast of Ueki -- the epicenter of the late-Thursday tremor that left nine dead.

It was not immediately clear if anyone was injured or killed as a result of Saturday morning's seismic event. Nor was it clear how much damage, if any, had been caused.

But it did prompt the Japan Meteorological Agency to issue a tsunami advisory for coastal regions of Japan on the Ariake Sea and Yatsushiro Sea around 2 a.m. Saturday (1 p.m. ET Friday). The agency subsequently lifted all tsunami warnings and advisories.

Tsunami advisories are issued when the tsunami height is expected to between 0.2 and 1 meter (0.65 to 3.3 feet). A warning would be for larger tsunamis.

Baby pulled from rubble after earlier quake

This happened about a full day after rescuers found an 8-month-old baby girl -- alive -- in the ruins of a home destroyed by the earlier quake on Japan's Kyushu island.

Rescuers had been told there was a baby inside the collapsed house, but aftershocks from the Thursday quake prevented the use of heavy equipment at the site.

Yet, after six hours trapped, she was pulled from the rubble early Friday.

"It was miracle she was unharmed," Hidenori Watanabe, a spokesman for the Kumamoto Higashi fire department, told CNN.

Fifty rescuers -- wearing dark uniforms and white hard-hats with lights -- scoured the large pile of rubble that just hours before had been a home. The infant's mother and grandmother had managed to escape.

The little girl was finally found safe amid the debris in a space under one of the house's pillars, according to Watanabe.

This happened in the middle of the night, in an area lit only by spotlights.

Carefully, rescuers passed the barefooted baby to one another, before she finally got to crews on the ground and was taken swiftly away.

A high-risk area

Japan, which sits along the so-called Ring of Fire, is no stranger to earthquakes.

The largest recorded quake to hit Japan came on March 11, 2011, when a magnitude-9.0 quake centered 231 miles (372 kilometers) northeast of Tokyo devastated the country.

That quake triggered a massive tsunami that swallowed entire communities in eastern Japan. It caused catastrophic meltdowns at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant.

The disaster killed about 22,000 people -- almost 20,000 from the initial quake and tsunami, and the rest from health conditions related to the disaster.

swiftshift 04-15-2016 09:41 AM

Poor Japan.. seems like it occurs so frequently

CRS 04-15-2016 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swiftshift (Post 8747491)
Poor Japan.. seems like it occurs so frequently

Hmm, it's as if Japan is situated between 4 tectonic plates or something...

MG1 04-15-2016 11:31 AM

The history of quakes and tsunami's in Japan has shaped who they are.

Ever see looting and chaos when disaster strikes in Japan? They pick themselves up and support each other.

pastarocket 04-15-2016 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MG1 (Post 8747520)
The history of quakes and tsunami's in Japan has shaped who they are.

Ever see looting and chaos when disaster strikes in Japan? They pick themselves up and support each other.

I agree. The sense of community is strong in Japanese society.

I can't imagine what would happen in Vancouver, the Lower Mainland, if a magnitude 7.0 or stronger earthquake struck the Lower Mainland. :heckno:

MG1 04-15-2016 12:08 PM

Yup, we riot over a damn hockey game. Even if we had won, it would've been a disaster.

Sad to say, we have no clue how to deal with disaster of any kind let alone how to behave. Having said that, you never know, right? I still have faith in humanity. I would like to believe we can come together and support each other rather than take advantage of the situation.

ZN6 04-15-2016 12:23 PM

Japan is fucking resilient. Given that they are very homogeneous society they share a very similar culture from person to person. Where as "world" cities, you have people with completely different sets of values and mindsets and when shit hits the fan, it's anyone's game.

I would say that Japan is like a colony of black ants vs. Vancouver which is a fucking zoo with environmentalist zoo keepers. If those cages break, the whole zoo is fucked. Let's just simply compare the transit system in Vancouver to Japan, Vancouverites are fucking savages trying to get on to the train in the morning and it's not a very complicated track system. Every time I ride the train, it's like a fat chick trying to get into a pair of skinny jeans. Fucking horrendous. Like someone said, we riot over a fuckin' hockey game.

In japan, you have 2 dozen or more spaghetti train lines and everyone is fucking lined up to get on to the train and they let people off. Easy peasy. The Japanese have survived more disasters than I can count on two hands. Hats off to Japan.

asian_XL 04-15-2016 05:58 PM

12 death :( RIP, Be strong!

twitchyzero 04-15-2016 06:17 PM

pretty sure Sendai is north of Tokyo and not on the southern island (on that youtube clip in OP's post)

shit I forgot the one in 2011 was a niner...I remember it as only being a 7.8-8.3 :(

all the best Japan

nah 04-15-2016 08:21 PM

I was just in Japan in March and I was so impressed by the people and the traditions they've kept through the years. When you hear of things like this you genuinely feel bad for the people cause you know they're really good people.

Hondaracer 04-15-2016 08:32 PM

Down the road here, Japan has the potential to be a big time catastrophe if the frequency of earth quakes stays as it has been in recent history, or worsens.

MG1 04-15-2016 08:51 PM

A short History of Earthquakes in Japan - Scientific American Blog Network

ilovebacon 04-15-2016 10:57 PM

not japan!!

StylinRed 04-16-2016 06:03 AM

you guys mentioning the hockey riots seemed to have forgotten the next morning where the city showed up to cleanup the mess of the out of towners and surrians (or surreyites whichever u fancy) ;)