REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   AirBnB of car rentals coming to AB, ON, and QC (https://www.revscene.net/forums/708523-airbnb-car-rentals-coming-ab-qc.html)

supafamous 04-19-2016 01:42 PM

AirBnB of car rentals coming to AB, ON, and QC

Turo, the Airbnb of car rentals, launches in Canada - The Globe and Mail

Interesting stuff. I am generally loathe to loan my car out to anyone but I'd be pretty keen to rent oddball or interesting cars from time to time - especially those for which a 30 min test drive isn't enough.

asma123 04-19-2016 02:10 PM

this would be good for those of us looking to make extra income but at the same time I don't know if I could trust people with my car... Not only that but if they ever get in an accident it would be such a huge headache... I'd probably pass

Harvey Specter 04-19-2016 02:12 PM

This will not end well and we'll probably never see this service in BC because of ICBC.

GLOW 04-19-2016 02:34 PM

they won't allow uber in vancouver how can they allow this? there's already car2go and similar here, don't see this working.

plus look at the test pilots or zerofucksgiven car2go drivers. now imagine them with your car :heckno:

BoostedBB6 04-19-2016 02:39 PM

You would need to have the proper insurance on your car to be able to do this, and unless it is a business for you it is not worth it as the insurance rates for rental vehicles is very high even for cheap econo cars.

meme405 04-19-2016 02:45 PM

Somebody recently posted this, I looked into it for a trip to LA during may long, looked like a lot of people doing it in that area, were treating it as a business, lots of people who had multiple vehicles up for rent (Like multiple yukon's or escalades), and they would even arrange pickup or delivery of the vehicle.

Manic! 04-19-2016 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meme405 (Post 8748527)
Somebody recently posted this, I looked into it for a trip to LA during may long, looked like a lot of people doing it in that area, were treating it as a business, lots of people who had multiple vehicles up for rent (Like multiple yukon's or escalades), and they would even arrange pickup or delivery of the vehicle.

Ya I posted it here: http://www.revscene.net/forums/70840...-bnb-cars.html

Maybe we should merge threads.

Gucci Mane 04-19-2016 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GLOW (Post 8748522)
they won't allow uber in vancouver how can they allow this? there's already car2go and similar here, don't see this working.

plus look at the test pilots or zerofucksgiven car2go drivers. now imagine them with your car :heckno:

uber isn't coming here because of cabbie's trying to protect their investment. airport taxi plates can fetch up to a million dollars. plates for a blacktop cab in vancouver are an easy $700k.

Liquid_o2 04-19-2016 05:10 PM

I would never ever rent my car out to anyone. Only people that will do this are people who have an extra car primarily for this service.

dark0821 04-19-2016 05:43 PM

I dunno, will love to see how this goes, my wife has a shitty versa that she uses 3 days a week for my daughters daycare only. It will be sweet if it works out so that car can pay for itself (insurance and gas)

plat27265 04-19-2016 07:43 PM

So, if I become a member of this Turo rental car thing and my car suddenly breaks down causing accidental death or disability to whoever rented it, I will most likely be sued big time. I don't think it is worth the headache. Unless you're in the business of car rentals, I would pass this one up. There seems to be too much liability on the owners part. I can only imagine how much insurance will cost to rent out your car.