REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Trudeau government to introduce bill to legalize pot (https://www.revscene.net/forums/708533-trudeau-government-introduce-bill-legalize-pot.html)

murd0c 04-20-2016 08:08 AM

Trudeau government to introduce bill to legalize pot

I guess the stall tactic by JT was to wait until 4/20 to announce they are finally going to legalize pot across Canada... Great to see he is actually living up to the promises he made which helped get him elected.

Trudeau government to introduce bill to legalize pot - NEWS 1130

Quote:

NEW YORK, NY (NEWS 1130) – We now know when the Trudeau government will introduce legislation to legalize marijuana. Federal Health Minister Jane Philpott says the long-awaited bill will be introduced in the spring of 2017.

The announcement was made as she gave an impassioned speech about drug policy at the United Nations General Assembly.

Philpott says Canada’s plan on pot “challenges the status quo in many countries,” but says the federal government is convinced it is the best way to protect young people while enhancing public safety. “We will work with law enforcement partners to encourage appropriate and proportionate criminal justice measures. We know it is impossible to arrest our way out of this problem.”

She gave no other details about the legislation but says it will be rooted in scientific evidence while addressing the devastating consequences of drugs and drug-related crimes. “Addressing problematic drug use is a shared challenge. The solutions are also collective involving governments, Indigenous peoples, civil society, youth [and] scientists.”

A spokesperson for the health minister says in the coming weeks the federal government will launch its task force to study every aspect of legalizing, regulating and tightly restricting access to marijuana.

This announcement comes on 4/20, a day in which pot activists and users celebrate cannabis culture.

smoothie. 04-20-2016 08:13 AM

smoke weed everyday

Sid Vicious 04-20-2016 08:57 AM

sure took a long ass time to reverse some backwards ass legislation

all those resources wasted, all those lives wasted in jail

The_AK 04-20-2016 10:55 AM

This might sound ignorant but if this reversal goes through will anyone doing jail time be able to lawyer up to have their case re-opened in hopes of a reduced sentence or is it the case of once you've committed a crime you sit for it regardless of whats happening outside?

Hondaracer 04-20-2016 11:04 AM

Highly doubt anyone is spending any significant time behind bars strictly for weed, if anyone

pastarocket 04-20-2016 11:51 AM

It's time to load up and buy more marijuana stocks. :considered: :lawl:

FYI, the stock market thread on RS has some good recommendations about which pot stocks are good buys. :thumbsup:

westopher 04-20-2016 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pastarocket (Post 8748814)

FYI, the stock market thread on RS has some good recommendations about which pot stocks are good buys. :thumbsup:

Its still going to be very risky and volatile because of all the licensing and legislation hoops that will come up.
I don't smoke weed, but its good that they are doing this. The benefits of doing this outweigh the bad x 100000
I love drinking, but there is no question alcohol has measurably ruined a lot more lives than weed ever will.
Although I will mention quitting (chronic) weed smoking had the most positive effect on my life of any change I have ever made.

fishCak3s 04-20-2016 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by westopher (Post 8748821)
Although I will mention quitting (chronic) weed smoking had the most positive effect on my life of any change I have ever made.

Does this include switching to a M3 as well? :mamoru:
kidding

Good for you on making life improving changes.

bcuzracecarz 04-20-2016 01:01 PM

I don't smoke weed, never have never will, but I'm all for this, anything that will make the government money by not coming from my pocket is A Okay in my books. Only thing that'll be a con will be the Vancouver hipsters promoting it even more than they already do

Verdasco 04-20-2016 01:24 PM

sorry for a newb question but if it is regulated, do we still need licenses to buy weed or can anyone that isnt a minor walk in and leave within 5 minutes without one?

westopher 04-20-2016 01:32 PM

Well in washington, you walk into the store, show your id, buy it and leave. Its essentially identical to buying alcohol. I assume thats the plan here.

Spoon 04-20-2016 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pastarocket (Post 8748814)

Your investment can literally go to zero once the Liberals are out of power. Sounds like a solid plan. :badpokerface:

Mancini 04-20-2016 01:44 PM

Too bad.

Manic! 04-20-2016 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spoon (Post 8748860)
Your investment can literally go to zero once the Liberals are out of power. Sounds like a solid plan. :badpokerface:

After it is legalized there will be no going back. After it is legalized there will be so much money involved it would be suicide for any party to try to stop it.

Razor Ramon HG 04-20-2016 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manic! (Post 8748869)
After it is legalized there will be no going back. After it is legalized there will be so much money involved it would be suicide for any party to try to stop it.

Colorado had $1 BILLION dollars in marijuana revenue last year! Imagine all the tax revenue they made off of that

murd0c 04-20-2016 03:12 PM

and that's only one state... Think of is being legal across the whole country...

winson604 04-20-2016 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razor Ramon HG (Post 8748872)
Colorado had $1 BILLION dollars in marijuana revenue last year! Imagine all the tax revenue they made off of that

Despite that, Translink will still somehow be asking for money on a yearly basis.

Gumby 04-20-2016 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winson604 (Post 8748881)
Despite that, Translink will still somehow still be asking for money on a yearly basis.

Translink can get in line behind BC Ferries. :troll:

threezero 04-20-2016 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spoon (Post 8748860)

more like whether he pick the right stock amiss the sea of MJ startups. Sooner or later there will be 1-2 big player that emerges and killed off all of the competition. Big Pharma anyone?

Bouncing Bettys 04-20-2016 05:12 PM

A step in the right direction. Maybe one of Trudeau's kids will become PM and end the entire drug war in Canada or someone sooner.

Manic! 04-20-2016 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by threezero (Post 8748899)
more like whether he pick the right stock amiss the sea of MJ startups. Sooner or later there will be 1-2 big player that emerges and killed off all of the competition. Big Pharma anyone?

Screw Big Pharma it will be Big Tobacco. The already have the farmers to grow it and the retailers ot sell it. Plus the other smoking products they sell are on a big decline.

$_$ 04-20-2016 06:27 PM

What happened to decrim in the meantime though? It seems like it's still going to take a while to get this bill hammered out. What about allowing for med shops in richmond?

dat_steve 04-21-2016 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manic! (Post 8748907)
Screw Big Pharma it will be Big Tobacco. The already have the farmers to grow it and the retailers ot sell it. Plus the other smoking products they sell are on a big decline.

Actually, "Big Agri" will probably have the edge in terms of production. Hydroponic green houses the size of football stadiums are already growing things like tomatoes and leafy greens. Wouldn't be a stretch at all to add another "leafy green" to that system.