REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Headphones While Driving (https://www.revscene.net/forums/708699-headphones-while-driving.html)

ata15 05-03-2016 03:07 PM

Headphones While Driving

Is it illegal to wear in-ear or over-the-ear headphones while driving in Vancouver/BC?

I see it all the time on the streets, but would you be charged with reckless driving by the Police?

Manic! 05-03-2016 03:09 PM

illegal can't her sirens or horns with them on.

DragonChi 05-03-2016 03:11 PM

I don't know what you'd be ticketed with though. Maybe undue care. This might be better answered in the police forums though.

JesseBlue 05-03-2016 03:52 PM

I hope they get ticketed as there is no need for that. The car already has a sound system that probably sounds better

Cwift 05-03-2016 03:59 PM

legal if it's one earpiece for hands free communication (bluetooth), any other uses (ie: listening to music) is illegal

Alby 05-03-2016 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JesseBlue (Post 8752441)
I hope they get ticketed as there is no need for that. The car already has a sound system that probably sounds better

maybe the car is old and doesn't have aux input?

quasi 05-03-2016 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manic! (Post 8752427)
illegal can't her sirens or horns with them on.

Not true on the hearing part, I ride my motorcycle with headphones I can hear sirens and horns just fine. I'm not sure on the legality of it, might be illegal but I've been doing it well riding for the past 16 years without an issue. As long as you don't have it cranked hearing everything around you isn't a problem.

Manic! 05-03-2016 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quasi (Post 8752489)
Not true on the hearing part, I ride my motorcycle with headphones I can hear sirens and horns just fine. I'm not sure on the legality of it, might be illegal but I've been doing it well riding for the past 16 years without an issue. As long as you don't have it cranked hearing everything around you isn't a problem.

It depends on the headphones. In my civic with aftermarket stereo cranked I could not here the police siren.

Quote:

According to the BC Superintendent of Motor Vehicles, headphones can be used while driving, but only for the purpose of hands-free communication. That means listening to music on your headphones while behind the wheel is illegal.

MG1 05-03-2016 06:33 PM

A little off topic........ okay way off topic, but even at my age, I can hear sirens minutes before others can. It's weird.

However, I can't hear anything else very well. lol

Another off topic......... I was driving through Sumas this afternoon, having a Peanut Butter Blast ice cream from Edaleen Dairy and all of a sudden, this loud screeching sound, blasts away from within the car. I jumped out of my skin to the point I had to go into reverse to gather my wits.

It was an amber alert. I have Wind Mobile with unlimited US feature and I guess down there, T-Mobile has this Amber Alert Feature. Some creep in a blue 1997 Acura 4 door with Virginia license plate abducted a girl in Spokane.

I guess in Canada we have radio stations broadcasting Amber Alerts. Anyway.......... carry on carrying on............

Mancini 05-03-2016 07:13 PM

I sometimes drive with a single earbud in to make calls.

geeknerd 05-04-2016 12:47 AM

IIRC, you are allowed wear single earbud with a mic as a hands-free option. I call bullshit on seeing it all the time. Anyways, youd likely be charged with the use of electronics ticket which is $167 and 3 points. Other tickets if you are N, and reckless driving if you were being reckless as well. Such as not yielding to pedestrians because you were distracted. etc etc

Manic! 05-04-2016 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MG1 (Post 8752502)
A little off topic........ okay way off topic, but even at my age, I can hear sirens minutes before others can. It's weird.

I think your user name needs to be changed to Radar.

ata15 05-04-2016 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geeknerd (Post 8752593)
I call bullshit on seeing it all the time.

I commute daily from Coquitlam to Richmond, close to 30-45min each way. It's 90% of time slow crawling traffic.

Without actively looking, I still see fair number of people texting and/or have in-ear headphones on both ears. I don't see Over-the-ears headphones as often, but they're out there.

underscore 05-04-2016 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MG1 (Post 8752502)

However, I can't hear anything else very well. lol

I'm guessing those two are linked, everything else being quieter is gonna make it easier to pick out the sirens.

EvoFire 05-04-2016 08:50 AM

On a kind of related note, siren sounds should be banned over the radio.....

Reeyal 05-04-2016 10:48 AM

Yes... totally agree.

Berzerker 05-04-2016 10:58 AM

Are deaf people allowed to drive? How can having headphones in be different than a deaf person driving?

Berz out.

Alby 05-04-2016 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berzerker (Post 8752681)
Are deaf people allowed to drive? How can having headphones in be different than a deaf person driving?

Berz out.

i would imagine a deaf person is more aware of their surrounding and is constantly scanning their mirrors.

Mancini 05-04-2016 04:02 PM

I imagine it's a failure to utilize existing capacity.

Manc out.

Berzerker 05-04-2016 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alby (Post 8752755)
i would imagine a deaf person is more aware of their surrounding and is constantly scanning their mirrors.

I doubt anyone is "more aware" when driving. That just comes down to experience.

Berz out.

FerrariEnzo 05-04-2016 06:05 PM

OP.. you should try it and drive by a police station a few times, then tell us what happen