REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-04-2016, 01:25 AM   #26
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,814 Times in 8,189 Posts

Advertisement
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-04-2016, 06:08 AM   #27
Meet on the Level and Part on the Square

Thanked 2,093 Times in 669 Posts
I have friends up there and they said it was chaos trying to get out of town but they are now safe. I heard people were driving in the median, quads with their guns ripping past - almost a little apocalyptic movie scene like. Reports from this morning aren't too positive, hopefully the human loss is nil.

Facebook has set up this page for you to check on your friends, or for others to report them safe if you know they are okay:

https://www.facebook.com/safetycheck...?uid=527606466
Zedbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 06:18 AM   #28
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
I have many friends up there I've worked with for years. They are all safe luckily, but things are pretty bad from the sounds of it.

I've seen ignorant comments for all sorts of news pieces, but the stupid shit some people are saying with regards to this just takes the cake. These are human beings, families with children who are affected by this, fire fighters and emergency personnel risking their life to save the livelihood of these people. To wish harm or bad things upon them because of what the town is known for, or the work they do in that area is appalling. So far all the stories I have heard from the mac are of people helping each other. Like someone else in this thread said, if Vancouver we're to go up like Fort Mac is right now, I can only imagine how uncivilized the chaos would be. I mean come on we looted after our hockey team lost an inconsequential trophy.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 07:02 AM   #29
I don't get it

Just got back from beautiful sunny calgary yesterday coming into YVR and having it cloudy and rainy....
Digitalis is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-04-2016, 07:07 AM   #30
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yray View Post
im suprised with all those lifted trucks, no one is driving on the highway median.
heard they're using the other side for evacuation as well

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-04-2016, 07:42 AM   #31
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,815 Times in 341 Posts
Crazy Video

2018 Golf R MK7.5 (Daily)
2001 S2000 (Weekend Warrior)
1991 Merc 300 TE-24 AMG Estate - Sold
2005 STi - Sold
1987 AE86 GTS - Sold
1986 AE86 GTS - Sold
gilly is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-04-2016, 07:50 AM   #32
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Holy fuck, and the full fucking retard has begun on FB.
People are actually BLAMING THE ALBERTA NDP GOVERNMENT FOR THE FIRES.
Time to do some sterilizing.
Some people on FB are so misinformed.
The NDP government cut the budget for fighting wild fires:
Alberta cuts nearly $15 million from wildfire management budget | Edmonton Journal

Budgets are not set in stone. They can spend whatever they want.
Reeyal is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-04-2016, 08:18 AM   #33
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,911 Times in 3,872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
Like someone else in this thread said, if Vancouver we're to go up like Fort Mac is right now, I can only imagine how uncivilized the chaos would be. I mean come on we looted after our hockey team lost an inconsequential trophy.
I think the lack of major roads helps control the chaos, Vancouver would be a gongshow with all the routes you could try to take to get out. As for the looting you can at least partially blame that on those knobs that came from out of town just to start a riot, a bit harder for that to happen during a sudden wildfire.

On a side note how the balls is the population so high? Looking on Google Maps Fort Mac is fucking tiny.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:02 AM   #34
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,162 Times in 7,154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeyal View Post
Some people on FB are so misinformed.
The NDP government cut the budget for fighting wild fires:
Alberta cuts nearly $15 million from wildfire management budget | Edmonton Journal

Budgets are not set in stone. They can spend whatever they want.
I have literally seen people post that "Notley cut the budget for fires up there in hopes that they wouldn't be able to control the wildfires so Fort Mac could burn to the ground"
I think the same people would believe she sets the price for oil, and she flew the plane into the world trade centre.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-04-2016, 09:20 AM   #35

Highway is still pretty jammed up, lots of people with nowhere to go.

A large group of Rig welders seem to have banded together and are running up and down the highway with Fuel, water and snacks for those stuck in their cars or low on supplies.

Old 05-04-2016, 09:51 AM   #36

I just found this link on another site for others to donate to the Red Cross specifically for these people that are losing everything: https://donate.redcross.ca/ea-action...campaign=NO-DM

I pitched in my $200, I hope others can find it within their means to help our neighbours during such a disaster.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-04-2016, 11:01 AM   #37
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
There will be almost no work taking place in Ft. Mac over the summer as a result of the fire, if you work in Ft. Mac and rely on that income expect to endure a prolonged delay before you are able to return to work.

We had meetings this morning with three major producers, they are all expecting to operate with essential personnel only, other than operations and projects which are essential to operations everything else will be delayed until the city returns to some level or normal.
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 12:00 PM   #38
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
Hey Justin Trudeau. There's about 80,000 more refugees in Alberta right now with nothing but the clothes on their backs and no where to go home to. Except these ones are Canadians.

Your move.
Old 05-04-2016, 12:06 PM   #39

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRxtar View Post
Hey Justin Trudeau. There's about 80,000 more refugees in Alberta right now with nothing but the clothes on their backs and no where to go home to. Except these ones are Canadians.

Your move.
Nothing but clothes on there backs???? you can't be serious.
Old 05-04-2016, 12:32 PM   #40
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,322 Times in 5,640 Posts
I have a hard time finding the reasoning to donate money to causes like this.

Obviously there are people who don't work in the oil/gas industry who will indeed endure crazy hardships from this, but for a vast majority of the people there hasn't been a place with more decadence, overspending, lavish lifestyles as there are in places like this.

Imo this is on the provincial and federal government to look after. We're a first world country and this paticulat instance is the epicenter of Canadian wealth over the past 20 years. Sorry but Red Cross won't be getting my money, got enough problems and needs of my own to support this type of cause with all the background around it.
Old 05-04-2016, 01:02 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
I have a hard time finding the reasoning to donate money to causes like this.

Obviously there are people who don't work in the oil/gas industry who will indeed endure crazy hardships from this, but for a vast majority of the people there hasn't been a place with more decadence, overspending, lavish lifestyles as there are in places like this.

Imo this is on the provincial and federal government to look after. We're a first world country and this paticulat instance is the epicenter of Canadian wealth over the past 20 years. Sorry but Red Cross won't be getting my money, got enough problems and needs of my own to support this type of cause with all the background around it.
There is a simple reason - they are fellow countrymen in desperate need. Prejudice all you like about how you think they lived, it changes not whom they are truly are - average people like you and me.

Vancouver, by your standard, would be the epitome of 1st world decadence, living off the backs of those that work for your everyday needs. Now they need us.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-04-2016, 01:29 PM   #42
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,378 Times in 1,229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedbra View Post
There is a simple reason - they are fellow countrymen in desperate need. Prejudice all you like about how you think they lived, it changes not whom they are truly are - average people like you and me.

Vancouver, by your standard, would be the epitome of 1st world decadence, living off the backs of those that work for your everyday needs. Now they need us.
Yup, I shudder to think what the internet comments from the rest of Canada would be if the big one ever hit Vancouver.

"More waterfront property at cheaper prices!"
"why do they need aid? They can all just get high off their BC Bud"
"great, now we can sell them to China at a discount"

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 01:48 PM   #43

Thanked 4,797 Times in 1,762 Posts
Quote:
There is a simple reason - they are fellow countrymen in desperate need. Prejudice all you like about how you think they lived, it changes not whom they are truly are - average people like you and me..
I dunno.

I agree that these few days of evacuation and uncertainty are tough and need help for relief.

However, if these people had the smarts to buy insurance they should be able to get back on their feet and their lives going again after this all blows over.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 02:04 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
I dunno.

I agree that these few days of evacuation and uncertainty are tough and need help for relief.

However, if these people had the smarts to buy insurance they should be able to get back on their feet and their lives going again after this all blows over.
Do you know what kind of work the red cross does?

They help setup temporary shelters for people, so they dont have to sleep in their car, they care for children, they help families, they provide meals, and first aid, etc. Stuff that is necessary before your insurance kicks in.

I heard literally the stupidest thing today, when emergency shelters were setup in one of the community centers, someone commented and said, "Oh their rich, they can afford hotels"...

Ever seen a hotel which has 60000 rooms? Yeah it doesn't exist.

This post thanked by:
Old 05-04-2016, 02:14 PM   #45

Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,126 Posts
To be fair, any home insurance that's worth its weight will provide for the reimbursement of temporary housing costs for a certain period of time. Even AirBnB lodging is valid for a lot of insurers.

I imagine we'll be hearing some stories of people not being sufficiently insured.
Tapioca is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-04-2016, 02:17 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
To be fair, any home insurance that's worth its weight will provide for the reimbursement of temporary housing costs for a certain period of time. Even AirBnB lodging is valid for a lot of insurers.

I imagine we'll be hearing some stories of people not being sufficiently insured.
Again, there is 60 000 people being displaced by this. It's not cost or money, it's the fact that there simply isn't a permanent place large enough to house all those people.

That's where agencies like red cross step in and set up temporary places. This is where they excel, and that's what the money you donate to red cross goes towards.

Old 05-04-2016, 02:33 PM   #47

Thanked 4,797 Times in 1,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
Do you know what kind of work the red cross does?

They help setup temporary shelters for people, so they dont have to sleep in their car, they care for children, they help families, they provide meals, and first aid, etc. Stuff that is necessary before your insurance kicks in.

I heard literally the stupidest thing today, when emergency shelters were setup in one of the community centers, someone commented and said, "Oh their rich, they can afford hotels"...

Ever seen a hotel which has 60000 rooms? Yeah it doesn't exist.
I was kind of agreeing with that, it's for the period of evacuation that relief and aid is necessary.

My comment was more directed at what happens when this is all over, to say that these people will be left with "Nothing" is not true, unless they were negligent or too poor to afford insurance.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 03:15 PM   #48

Thanked 31,162 Times in 7,154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRxtar View Post

Your move.
What the fuck do you expect him to do right now? Fly in a bunch of fucking helicopters with houses attached to drop down and provide everybody some instant housing?
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-04-2016, 03:47 PM   #49

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Donated to the Red Cross ...

Going to stay off Facebook for a while or else I'm going to end up blocking half of my douchebag Fort Mac friends who act like they're doing the world a favour by being there. My wall is filled with more condescending bullshit and political (racist) tirades than actual information about the fire and well wishes towards the people who live and/or work there.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-04-2016, 04:08 PM   #50

Thanked 8,911 Times in 3,872 Posts
Quote:
I'm all for helping those in need, however I've seen it happen multiple times where scumbags use things like this to cash in, so I'm pretty cautious about throwing money at things unless I can see how it can go straight to helping the cause immediately.

Also this may make me sound like an asshole but I have zero interest in helping people who chose to go without insurance (after the dust has settled and people are making insurance claims), they made that choice and I think they should deal with the consequences rather than have other people cover their losses.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote