REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > The John Norwich Riders Corner

The John Norwich Riders Corner In honour of our fellow moderator: John Norwich R.I.P. September 17th, 2014
Buy, sell, trade bikes and gear, set up bike rallies, meet discussions. #revscenebikes

Old 05-05-2016, 02:41 PM   #1
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,341 Times in 557 Posts
Police Takedown Outside Bayside Performance

Quote:
Vancouver police are defending their actions after a video was posted to social media showing officers pushing a motorcyclist to the ground before handcuffing him.

The video showing the arrest is time-stamped, 7:54 PM P.T., Monday.

Commenters have been critical of the force used by the officers making the arrest outside of Bayside Performance, a motorcycle accessory store, but the VPD say the officers actions were justified because the biker was putting the public at risk.

"He was not only putting his life, but the life of many others at risk of injury or death by operating a vehicle in a dangerous manner which is a criminal offence," said Const. Brian Montague in an emailed statement to CBC.

Montague said the motorcyclist, who police first observed at 19th Avenue and Fraser Street, endangered others by weaving through traffic and pedestrians and speeding past a park while evading police as it tore down Fraser Street.

The motorcyclist blew past two stop signs and fled from a marked police car on 43rd Avenue, according to Montague.

He described the eventual arrest as "quick" and said it was done to ensure the public would no longer be put at risk.

But Bayside Performance owner Kevin Boisvert, who posted the video, believes police were unnecessarily rough when they made the arrest.

"It's not right for police to beat someone up. Maybe adrenalin was pumping. But it was heavy handed. They didn't have to keep kneeing him."

Boisvert said he was 20 to 30 feet away from the takedown and the police cruiser had no lights on until the last second as it came to a halt. The man shown being arrested in the video is a customer at his store, Boisvert said.

"I heard no siren. Lucas was riding a Ducatti. They're extremely loud. He might not have known he was being chased."

In a Facebook post, a man named Lucas Moh says he is the person in the video and that he has been charged with dangerous driving, evading police, failing to stop, and speeding.

Police have not confirmed those charges.
I'm usually not one to scream POLICE BRUTALITY but I'd say excessive force was used here.... and like Kevin said, our bikes can be really loud and we're not always looking at our mirrors, police should be aware of that when pulling over motorcyclists
Advertisement
PiuYi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-05-2016, 02:44 PM   #2
PM me for my nudes

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,001 Posts
two sides to every story, video alone looks rough

but its also your job to be aware of your surroundings as a rider, you can't just say, "oh i had no idea you were trying to pull me over, I was speeding around and never looked back."
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
This wouldn't happen if you didn't drive a peasant car like an Audi...
Quote:
[14-05, 14:59] FastAnna You tiny bra wearing, gigantic son of a bitch
[15-05, 10:35] FastAnna Yeah I was dreaming of those big titties in that tiny bra
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I'd probably blow someone for that 911
smoothie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 03:05 PM   #3
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,872 Times in 3,849 Posts
Hard to say anything one way or the other with just this video, looks like he only got knee'd once though? Of course if he was wearing proper gear and not just a t shirt...

I have to laugh at Kevin Boisvert though, first for commenting on how the police took the guy down without having seen anything leading up to the arrest, and second for "He might not have known he was being chased", err sorry but it's your responsibility to be aware of your surroundings, last time I checked bikes have to have mirrors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiuYi View Post
police should be aware of that when pulling over motorcyclists
How do you propose they distinguish between someone not paying attention to their surroundings and someone intentionally running from the police?
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 03:10 PM   #4
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
The police aren't screwing around. If he did run, you have to expect that sort of thing is going to get you a beatdown.

I've been passed by a few bikes running from the police. Every one of them was flying!
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-05-2016, 03:16 PM   #5

Not sure, but sirens would help riders AND drivers, they weren't on at the beginning of that video... maybe they were on earlier but don't know why they would be turned off

also the way the helmet was ripped off

I don't know if the rider was in the right at any point here but from what I can see he's pulled over, looked submissive, and the police didn't do much to de-escalate the situation.... of course we don't have audio so we don't know what was being said, but there wasn't a ton of time between the police stepping out of the car and on to him
Old 05-05-2016, 03:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Not sure, but sirens would help riders AND drivers, they weren't on at the beginning of that video... maybe they were on earlier but don't know why they would be turned off

also the way the helmet was ripped off

I don't know if the rider was in the right at any point here but from what I can see he's pulled over, looked submissive, and the police didn't do much to de-escalate the situation.... of course we don't have audio so we don't know what was being said, but there wasn't a ton of time between the police stepping out of the car and on to him
From my understanding they would've turned them off to de-escalate the pursuit or try to prevent the guy from running again, just because they were off coming into this parking lot doesn't mean they were off the entire pursuit.

As far as how quickly they took him down, if the guy ran the police shouldn't be taking any chances, someone who runs is likely to either try to run again or do something stupid like pull a weapon.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Quote:
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Old 05-05-2016, 03:29 PM   #7
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,831 Times in 587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
From my understanding they would've turned them off to de-escalate the pursuit or try to prevent the guy from running again, just because they were off coming into this parking lot doesn't mean they were off the entire pursuit.

As far as how quickly they took him down, if the guy ran the police shouldn't be taking any chances, someone who runs is likely to either try to run again or do something stupid like pull a weapon.
He went down and didn't move but was still kneed 3 times for what reason exactly?
He's an idiot for riding the way he did.

07-17 G37 RWD Coupe Coilovers FOR SALE BRAND NEW
BoostedBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 03:43 PM   #8

Hard to say with no audio, I only count one knee at ~0:16 though, when are the other 2?
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-05-2016, 04:49 PM   #9
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Hard to say with no audio, I only count one knee at ~0:16 though, when are the other 2?
IMHO
Serves him right for trying to evade the police, I see 1 knee the officer used to put him on the ground .
Pretty standard procedure to hold a suspect down with your knees and radio in.
Rider prolly has a L or N for Bikes as well...
Urrtoast is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-05-2016, 05:18 PM   #10
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 3,927 Times in 1,873 Posts
Kudos to the cop. If facts were true, rider was an a&&hole. Other cop should have had 3 free shots too.

Montague said the motorcyclist, who police first observed at 19th Avenue and Fraser Street, endangered others by weaving through traffic and pedestrians and speeding past a park while evading police as it tore down Fraser Street.

The motorcyclist blew past two stop signs and fled from a marked police car on 43rd Avenue, according to Montague.

Owner of Bayside should stop defending dycks that give other riders a bad rep.
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-05-2016, 05:34 PM   #11
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,830 Times in 877 Posts
VPD say motorcyclist seen in ?takedown video? was evading police and speeding - BC | Globalnews.ca

Quote:
In the comments on the video, a man named Lucas Moh says:

I’m the guy in the video. I was taking frustrations out on my bike. Not smart. I admitted to police I was speeding. I had no idea I was being followed. Once police came. Tried my best to Co operate.
But Vancouver Police say officers had been observing the man for some time and he had already fled from them.

“Police first observed the motorcycle at 19 Avenue and Fraser Street,” said Cst. Brian Montague, with the Vancouver Police. “Officers thought the behaviour of the operator was strange and watched as he drove through an alley and back out to Fraser before travelling at a high rate of speed southbound weaving through traffic and pedestrians.”

Montague said attempts to stop the driver failed and he fled from a marked police car on 43rd Avenue. He said the driver then continued on “at a high rate of speed” to Prince Edward Street and past MacDonald Park where many people were out and about.

“Officers watched from a distance as the motorcycle continued southbound, blowing through the stop sign at 49th, past another park and through another stop sign at 57 Avenue,” said Montague. “The motorcycle was eventually seen by police turning into the parking lot near Fraser Street and Kent Avenue.”

“The operator of the motorbike had fled from and was evading police. He was not only putting his life, but the life of many others at risk of injury or death by operating a vehicle in that manner which is a criminal offence. The driver was quickly arrested to ensure there was no continued danger to the public. Police don’t have to use force when someone complies with the directions of officers.”

Boisvert said the motorcyclist did come back to the store on Tuesday, asking for a copy of the video and he told him he has obtained a lawyer.

“He had his helmet on, so even if [police] were saying something he probably couldn’t hear them, ” said Boisvert. “But he stood off the motorcycle and just had his hands [down] when they hit him, so he didn’t try to reach in his pockets, he didn’t try to pull anything out, he didn’t try to run away or anything like that.”

Global News has reached out to the motorcyclist, but has not heard back at this time.

“A person always knows they are dealing with a police officer as they are easily identified by their uniform or their vehicle, but the police often have no idea who the other person is,” said Montague. “Officer safety is of course always a concern when confronted by someone who has not been compliant – of note, a knife was one of the items found upon search after his arrest.”
bobbinka is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-05-2016, 05:50 PM   #12
I wish I was where I was when I wished I was here

Thanked 3,098 Times in 733 Posts
That's what you deserve for endangering innocent lives and running from the police.

Fucking people who don't own up to their mistakes. You're in the wrong, accept the consequences like a man. Crying claiming excessive force was used fuck you

People like that is what's wrong with society.

Damn that pisses me off. Clogging up our courts making our justice system look like a joke

Cadillac CTS (Current)
hchang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 06:13 PM   #13
HELP ME PLS!!!

I will pass judgement when I see the police videos.
Old 05-05-2016, 10:17 PM   #14
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,051 Times in 265 Posts
Well theres no point making assumptions about what happened previously. I just feel like a traffic violation is not enough to warrant throwing a relatively complaint guy on the ground, kicking him a few times, the knee to the back, throwing his helmet -- which probably needs replacement and kicking his phone after he is already in handcuffs. The law is designed to punish this guy, breaking his shit out of spite isn't supposed to be part of that punishment.

2007 Ducati SportClassic SE #72/100
1979 Honda CB 750 Café-Fighter
2008 Yamaha R6 (Track)
bananana is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-05-2016, 10:58 PM   #15
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Isn't it safer to assume the cops aren't going to play by the rules? Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. I'm not saying excessive force was due or was right, but for all we know, he was flipping them off while trying to elude them. In that case he was doing more than playing with fire.
Geist is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-05-2016, 11:15 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by hchang View Post
That's what you deserve for endangering innocent lives and running from the police.
fully agree, however just because he deserves it doesn't mean it's what should have been done. Like the guy above said, the courts are responsible for doling out punishment, not the police.

Yes, he was a danger on his bike weaving through parks/stop signs, but was he still being a danger standing next to his bike? The police should take every precaution to protect themselves but it just seems like they skipped a few steps and went straight for the physical confrontation here

I guess only someone who knows police protocol can say for sure.... does Zulutango roam these threads?
This post thanked by:
Old 05-06-2016, 06:23 AM   #17
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Yes, he was a danger on his bike weaving through parks/stop signs, but was he still being a danger standing next to his bike? The police should take every precaution to protect themselves but it just seems like they skipped a few steps and went straight for the physical confrontation here
"Seems like" is really the key in all these kinds of videos, isn't it? Some people (like those in Pivot, who were clearly more than eager to give their input) just love to talk like they KNOW everything that happened leading up to a short clip like this. Certainly they all KNOW everything that's being said in the video, even without sound, right? You can lip-read, right? The guy is DEFINITELY NOT saying "fuck the police" the whole time, or "get your hands off me, I'll kill you pigs" or anything like that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-06-2016, 11:20 AM   #18
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 3,177 Times in 621 Posts
Lol, Montague. I don't believe a word that comes out of that idiot's mouth.

Not siding with either side at this point but from the security footage alone, it looks like the VPD used unnecessary force.

I agree with Dragon. Waiting for police videos before judging any further.

-2018 BMW F30 340i M Performance Edition - Current
-2016 BMW F32 435i MPPK - Traded
-2011 BMW E92 335i - SOLD
-2009 Chrysler Sebring Convertible - SOLD
xXSupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 03:38 PM   #19
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
Kudos to the cop. If facts were true, rider was an a&&hole. Other cop should have had 3 free shots too.

Owner of Bayside should stop defending dycks that give other riders a bad rep.
We are not defending or siding with the rider. If he was riding like a douche then he deserved to be arrested.
He was not resisting and was standing with his hands out when they took him down.
They could have easily talked him down even at gun point.
they dished out the punishment that's the courts job.
They are police they should act professional.
Bayside68 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-06-2016, 05:45 PM   #20
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayside68 View Post
He was not resisting and was standing with his hands out when they took him down.
They could have easily talked him down even at gun point.
You know this because you were there? You can hear what's being said?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-06-2016, 05:55 PM   #21
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
Taking a wild guess he was the guy in the video on the side
kr4l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 06:02 PM   #22
HELP ME PLS!!!

If he had actually killed some kid in a park, then was completely compliant. The actions would be justifiable then?

We agree that he was non-compliant during the pursuit. There could reason to believe he could have been luring them into a trap, putting his hands up in the air.
Old 05-06-2016, 06:02 PM   #23
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

^ Did you guys see the title of the video???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayside68 View Post
dn53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 06:03 PM   #24
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
yes i was standing 20 feet away
Bayside68 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-06-2016, 08:59 PM   #25
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
if the cops have to come get you, the're bring an ass kicking with them

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote