REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Food & Fine Dining (https://www.revscene.net/forums/food-fine-dining_33/)
-   -   Quality Supermarket Steak (https://www.revscene.net/forums/708739-quality-supermarket-steak.html)

willystyle 05-06-2016 10:27 AM

Quality Supermarket Steak

I usually get my ribeye steaks from Costco, but I am only cooking for one meal and for myself this weekend, so getting a family pack is pointless. I need a comparable steak of quality that comes in single portion (minimum 16 oz.). Superstore, Walmart, Save On's is out of the question. I don't eat frozen steaks.

How's the Sterling Silver steaks at Safeway?

swiftshift 05-06-2016 10:31 AM

I feel Costco has very good quality trim's and cut's of their beef products on hand.. Compared to Superstore..
Superstore does sell " fast fry steaks " which are usually sirloin cuts and range depending on size, $4-8

Bender Unit 05-06-2016 10:38 AM

Try Loblaws City Market. They sell quality aged steak.
3 location: Vancouver, Richmond, North Van
It is an upscale SuperStore :troll:

But I still preferred Costco steak

cho 05-06-2016 10:38 AM

whole foods usually has some pretty prime cuts, but they're also pretty pricey

Gucci Mane 05-06-2016 10:46 AM

not sure why you're leaving out save on... i always get steaks from either costco or save on and they're always pretty good cuts of meat.

chinesespareribs 05-06-2016 10:55 AM

Columbus meats on Nanaimo Street
Cioffi's on Hastings
Beefway on Kingsway

Hondaracer 05-06-2016 11:26 AM

Costco. Just buy the pack and freeze what you don't use.

I've been let down so many times but Safeway etc getting way less for the same if not more, I'll never buy meat anywhere else these days.

Eatman 05-06-2016 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesespareribs (Post 8753276)
Columbus meats on Nanaimo Street
Cioffi's on Hastings
Beefway on Kingsway

these are butchers.. op is asking about supermarkets

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pidish (Post 8753272)
not sure why you're leaving out save on... i always get steaks from either costco or save on and they're always pretty good cuts of meat.

true, save-on has some good quality meats.
my go to are costco, safeway and save-on in no particular order

fliptuner 05-06-2016 11:38 AM

I get steaks and roasts from Safeway when they're 30-50% off

Verdasco 05-06-2016 11:41 AM

use to go superstore safeway etc.

then i tried costco and my mind was blown away on the difference it brings

everything is better there

willystyle 05-06-2016 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 8753288)
Costco. Just buy the pack and freeze what you don't use.

I've done that with Costco steaks. It doesn't taste the same after it's been frozen and de-frosted.

Culverin 05-06-2016 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willystyle (Post 8753262)
I usually get my ribeye steaks from Costco, but I am only cooking for one meal and for myself this weekend, so getting a family pack is pointless. I need a comparable steak of quality that comes in single portion (minimum 16 oz.). Superstore, Walmart, Save On's is out of the question. I don't eat frozen steaks.

If you are looking for quality steaks, why are you looking at a Supermarket?
Furthermore, why is Safeway still in the running whereas Superstore, Walmart, Save On is ruled out?

Why not a proper butcher?

Loblaw's and Whole Foods are also options, but then again,
why not just go to a proper butcher shop?

320icar 05-06-2016 12:07 PM

How about a butcher

Great68 05-06-2016 01:35 PM

The bigger Safeway & Save-on's will have a dedicated fresh cut meat case and may even have a butcher working there that you can ask for custom cuts.

Great68 05-06-2016 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willystyle (Post 8753296)
I've done that with Costco steaks. It doesn't taste the same after it's been frozen and de-frosted.

I'll agree with this
When I want a steak, it's fresh or nothing. It'll usually be a Rib-Eye, Striploin or Tenderloin. Kind of a waste to freeze expensive cuts like that. Even defrosting them slowly in the fridge they'll loose a lot of their juice and texture.

Unless it's something that I'm going to use as an ingredient in a dish (IE: Beef fajitas) or marinated then I'll freeze cheaper cuts like sirloins and use that.

Manic! 05-06-2016 02:32 PM

Thrifty's right up there with Costco.

smoothie. 05-06-2016 03:08 PM

buy low foods has been surprisingly ok for me lately.

single small ribeye or strip loin for under 8-10 bucks - fresh, marbled nicely, a tad thin

instantneedles 05-06-2016 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willystyle (Post 8753262)

Not too sure what you are referring to with the "frozen steaks". I always buy my steaks from superstore which sells them in single-steak packages. I was told to go with angus steaks for quality. Even for the less desired parts like blade steaks, the quality outpaces triple As.

godwin 05-06-2016 03:57 PM

If you plan ahead of time and a second fridge, you can also age the meat yourself. Time is the big equalizer.. most big stores just don't have the money to age the meet.

winson604 05-06-2016 03:58 PM

Supermarkets easy so that's what I do. I find Save On/Price Smart to be the best. I always get ribeye if that matters. They come in these vacuum sealed bags and are usually around $10-$12 a piece. Size is perfect for my preference so everything works out.

I rarely ever buy raw meat at Superstore but their cuts of ribeye are usually big like $20 or more for a single piece and i find it goes bad pretty quickly so ain't as fresh.

Hehe 05-07-2016 09:43 AM

Costco US Prime. They are ridonculously delicious and very well priced.

And I do mean US. I tried the Canadian Prime in Costco Canada but they are not as good.