REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Chances of second prohibition. (https://www.revscene.net/forums/708754-chances-second-prohibition.html)

SHORE 05-07-2016 06:08 PM

Chances of second prohibition.

I got an excessive speeding ticket last year in may which resulted in a 4 month prohibition. It has finally been served and i am five months in since reinstatement. Yesterday I was caught without my N. I am not going to dispute it, but would like more education on potential outcomes that may come of this. I was charged with MVAR 30.13 Failure to display an N. While it doesn't carry demerit points I am wondering one of two things, will I be prohibited again, and for how long. Any input is welcome and thanks for taking the time out of your day to help out a dumb driver.

Inaii 05-07-2016 06:24 PM

I could be wrong, but I think if it doesn't come with demerit points then you should be ok? I know driving contrary to restrictions would get you another suspension (happened to a friend of mine).

jeedee 05-07-2016 06:32 PM

After a prohibition, you get put on a 12 month probation period (meaning 1 ticket = another prohibition)

So basically expect a letter in the mail on another prohibition. I believe its 3 months, but since you're a repeat offender it may be longer than 3.

SHORE 05-07-2016 07:43 PM

.... Well thats sucks. ive only ever had 2 violations ever. Thanks for your replies.

Nlkko 05-07-2016 09:30 PM

Probation period just mean your driving record will be looked at with scrutiny. It does not means any violation will result in suspension.

A non-N sign ticket could come with points or not depends on the discretion of the officer. If it comes with points, it is likely a 1 point, I think you get suspended at 3 accumulated? You serve your prohibition period before so the accumulated points should be 0.

swiftshift 05-07-2016 10:04 PM

Best of luck op.

jeedee 05-08-2016 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nlkko (Post 8753751)
Probation period just mean your driving record will be looked at with scrutiny. It does not means any violation will result in suspension.

That's the point of a probation period..... if you commit another violation you can expect the consequences...

Guess we'll have to wait and see if OP gets a notice to prohibit again from the superintendent of MV

Inaii 05-08-2016 09:32 AM

Hm, I was always under the impression that as long as the ticket carried no points it wouldn't be reflected on a suspension.

bluejays 05-08-2016 11:06 AM

Officers have the discretion to issue demerit points to drivers who fail to display an L or N. In OP's case he didn't receive any points, I dont think he will receive a suspension for this incident

jeedee 05-08-2016 01:05 PM

I'm just going by what happened / was told to my friend who was prohibited last year.

Served his 3 month prohibition, went to icbc for license reinstatement and lady at icbc told him if he got another ticket he'd be prohibited again so make sure to drive "by the rules"

Nevertheless I hope this is a wake up call for you OP

GLOW 05-08-2016 01:20 PM

based on thread title i thought this was a discussion on the chances of banning alcohol again like in the 1920's in the US :lol :derp:

Inaii 05-08-2016 01:25 PM

I want to thank AND fail you... but no fail button in here... :p

sho_bc 05-08-2016 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nlkko (Post 8753751)

A non-N sign ticket could come with points or not depends on the discretion of the officer. If it comes with points, it is likely a 1 point, I think you get suspended at 3 accumulated? You serve your prohibition period before so the accumulated points should be 0.

Not quite. A "Fail to Display L/N" ticket doesn't carry points. A "Drive Contrary to Restrictions" ticket (can be given for not displaying your L/N) carries three points.

Your points don't just automatically disappear just because the suspension period is over. They still accumulate over whatever timeframe that ICBC tracks (I think 1 year?). For example, a 2-point ticket pre-suspension plus two 2 point tickets post-suspension but within the given tracking timeframe is 6 points on record.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inaii (Post 8753836)
Hm, I was always under the impression that as long as the ticket carried no points it wouldn't be reflected on a suspension.

I've seen both, where a Class 7L/N driver has been suspended again for a Fail to Display ticket within the 2 year probation, as well as multiple Fail to Display tickets and still no suspension.

SHORE 05-08-2016 03:00 PM

Well what happens happens. It is water under the bridge. I was caught and have to face the consequences. This thread was more to gage how long of a prohibition id get. For discussions sake, I only have 3 points on my license after the excessive speed and this failure to display. Thanks again guys for your input.