REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-09-2016, 11:11 AM   #1
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
New Distracted Driving Fines - June 1, 2016

BC?s distracted driving laws just got a whole lot tougher | News Talk 980 CKNW | Vancouver's News. Vancouver's Talk

Spoiler!
Advertisement
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."

Last edited by 6o4__boi; 05-09-2016 at 11:18 AM.
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 11:14 AM   #2
PM me for my nudes

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,001 Posts
I think its great...

...if they would catch the ones that drive and text more than the ones that do it while stopped at a red light.

And also ticket themselves for when they call on cellphones and typing on laptop
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
This wouldn't happen if you didn't drive a peasant car like an Audi...
Quote:
[14-05, 14:59] FastAnna You tiny bra wearing, gigantic son of a bitch
[15-05, 10:35] FastAnna Yeah I was dreaming of those big titties in that tiny bra
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I'd probably blow someone for that 911
smoothie. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-09-2016, 11:48 AM   #3
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,379 Times in 478 Posts
^police are "trained" to do it.

I just don't get why we can't get "trained" as well if the police could.
lilaznviper is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-09-2016, 11:50 AM   #4
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,910 Times in 606 Posts
these types of laws are made for the average person, you would not consider a police officer an average person by any means.

people on average can't even drive even without distractions, so if theyre texting as well all bets are off
Sid Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-09-2016, 11:51 AM   #5
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
I wonder how many people will actually get suspended after the review

that $14,500 premium doe

"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 11:56 AM   #6
I don't get it

$543.. will be a very expensive text message/phone call..
swiftshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 12:00 PM   #7
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
This is great. With all the tech these days (voice recognition like Google Now or Siri) you should be able to do a lot of stuffs hands free.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-09-2016, 12:02 PM   #8
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,098 Times in 4,998 Posts
^ easy for you to say when you're not trying to keep your side bishes on the low low
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 12:09 PM   #9
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftshift View Post
$543.. will be a very expensive text message/phone call..
Yes it is.

Still pretty cheap compared to the ~81 people who pay with their lives every year in BC.

I'm guilty of using my phone and driving, but I've gotten much better at avoiding it over the last couple years. I received one ticket for using my phone at a red light when the laws first came out, and since then I've learned and trained myself to pull over if it's important, or just ignore it.

Tons of technology out there to help with avoiding it to, I added one of my spare iPhones to my glove compartment and ran a cable into there, now it just sits in there and I can control my music from my head unit or steering wheel just like a CD, no more monkeying around with the Aux input and my phone changing songs, Bluetooth to connect for calls (I still avoid using it, but with work sometimes I gotta answer), and if I need navigation on my phone I just make sure to set it before I leave.

I do obviously still disagree with how cops are just taking the easy way out on enforcing this and just ticketing people at Red lights, but the lesson is there. You just have to be smart enough to learn it.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-09-2016, 12:15 PM   #10
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
Premium Penalty Points, this is a one-time payment when renewing insurance?

Damn
PEI $500-$1200
ON $490-$1000

PEI must have a lot of distracted drivers..
Old 05-09-2016, 12:20 PM   #11
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,776 Times in 444 Posts
I'd be more in favour if they weren't going after people stopped at lights.

http://www.e38registry.org/
Mr.C is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-09-2016, 12:23 PM   #12
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Try voice recognition feature on your phone. Pretty impressive. I tried it and its great. You basically just read like "go to home", "go to work", "go to xyz address", "dial (name)", etc.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 01:00 PM   #13
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,438 Times in 981 Posts
you still have to unlock your phone and have it on the home screen for you to say "ok google".

it's still interacting with your phone. easier to get away with but still illegal.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 01:03 PM   #14
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,221 Times in 1,214 Posts
Seriously after the tenth offence why not just a lifetime ban from driving? To the average person 15 grand is a real deterrent, but to a lot of people out there they can continue to pay whatever pennies it is to them and stay on the road being a danger to everyone. The amount of money you make should have no say on whether or not you get to keep driving.
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 01:11 PM   #15
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,438 Times in 981 Posts
i don't even know why were talking about a 10th offence. i know it happened to some girl in richmond recently but they should just say after 3 offences its like 90 days suspension and any offences after are a year suspension.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-09-2016, 01:30 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit View Post
i don't even know why were talking about a 10th offence. i know it happened to some girl in richmond recently but they should just say after 3 offences its like 90 days suspension and any offences after are a year suspension.
I only commented on ten because they showed it on the chart but you're right, after 3 times within a certain amount of years it should be obvious that the punishment they have received isn't enough of a deterrent to change their ways, in which case a lengthy suspension is the way to go.
Old 05-09-2016, 03:27 PM   #17
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,978 Times in 1,684 Posts

Guess I'm the only person that gets fucking annoyed when I get phone notifications during my drive, cause I'm in my zone when I drive, even at the red light. Gotta time those perpendicular yellow lights and get ready...

When I'm listening to music with BT, and then my music keeps getting interrupted because I forgot to put DND mode, these assholes that "machine gun" msg while I'm driving, it's the worse.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 04:45 PM   #18

The most simple and cost effective solution to using all apps your phone has to offer while in your vehicle, without having to use voice recognition or a headset is to simply... pull over.

If you're on a side street and your phone rings, it should be no problem to find a safe spot to pull over. If you're driving a main roadway and some girl snapchats that pussy because its cool. Find a gas station or pull over into any parking lot and check your DM.

Using your phone in your vehicle while stopped in a parking lot or safely pulled over and not impeding traffic is not illegal.
adambomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 04:57 PM   #19
HELP ME PLS!!!

What if using phone on a cell phone holder, eye level , almost like changing radio stations or volume
alex.w *// is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 05:22 PM   #20
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

I think at 5 times cost wise you're getting into IRP territory.....

that should be enough to suspend 30 days?
jackmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 05:26 PM   #21
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.w *// View Post
What if using phone on a cell phone holder, eye level , almost like changing radio stations or volume
This is legal. As long as your cellphone is secure to your car, you can use it.

I've seen people with cellphones attached to those suction cup cell phone holders.
Old 05-09-2016, 05:32 PM   #22
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Surprised by the amount of praises RS is giving to this new bullshit increased fine for distracted driving, and thinking that this will contribute to meaningful reduction in accidents from distracted driving.

I personally think most of these driving fines are nothing more than cash grab, including speeding tickets. Again, while I think it’s fucking stupid, unfortunately there isn’t anything that can be done because it is how the world operates. It’s always easy to tap into people’s emotions and give a story of a tragic death resulting from distracted driving to get more support for increased fines.

Do I agree that increased fine will likely reduce some accidents? Sure, but at what cost seriously? The fines for distracted driving are increased thanks to a minority of dumb fucking morons out there who get into accidents while talking on the phone due to a combination of 1) their inability to make proper judgment on when and under what road condition they should be talking on the phone, 2) a lack of physical coordination in which case they will just crash their car any way at some point even without talking on the phone and 3) sheer retardation.

Because of these morons, which I seriously think are a minority, the people who are capable of properly assessing the situation and making correct judgment when or when not to talk on the phone are increasingly penalized. These laws are fucking dumb because they do not consider the circumstance under which the driver is fined. It is simply “because you had a phone on your fucking hand, you get fined.” When visibility/weather condition is poor, road is narrow, and area is dense with tons of people around, it’s definitely not a smart choice to talk on the phone. But on a sunny day with excellent visibility, wide open road with no blind spots, and in an area with few people around, I don’t see any reasons why one can’t talk on the phone while driving. I have seen a number of cases where people are getting ticketed for this. One should never be TEXTING under any circumstances, but I fail to see how talking on the phone on certain occasions will increase the likelihood of accidents.

Also, how the fuck does going hands-free really make it safer? Do all of you driving with two hands always? Unless you are driving on some nasty terrain or on a snowy/rainy day, there isn’t a need to holding your steering wheels with two hands at all times if you are driving an automatic. If you are still driving with one hand and talking on a phone hands free, what difference does it make if someone is holding a phone with one hand and talking while driving with the other. And what’s with such strong emphasis on using electronic devices? What about bitches putting up make up? Idiots eating while driving?

This new increased fine for distracted driving is as stupid as saying driving slower will make roads safer. Just another over-simplified solution that does jack shit. Only time will tell whether it’s going to curb accidents resulting from distracted driving, but I, in the meantime, of an opinion that you can’t legislate fucking stupidity.
frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-09-2016, 05:33 PM   #23
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,763 Times in 1,748 Posts
Fucktwats on their phone in traffic piss me off just as much as anyone else. I've been held up by them at red lights, I've been near missed by them.

But the only way I could ever support these penalties and laws is if they weren't so much your word against the officer's. We all know that 99% of the time judges will take the side of the cop, regardless if the cop misinterpreted what he saw or is simply lying.
There's been way too many stories of people who weren't actually using any electronic devices getting nailed and having absolutely no recourse.
There's no such thing as a crooked/bad cop right? Every single one out there is a perfect, model, law enforcement professional...

Eyes straight forward, hands at 10 and 2 every second you're in the car... yeah.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-09-2016, 05:57 PM   #24

How much of a problem are these crooked cops really though? I find it hard to believe any officer would pull you over and ticket you for being on your phone unless they were sure about it. I'm willing to bet the number of cops pulling that kind of shit is very minuscule compared to the people who lie and say they are the victim who did nothing wrong. There's just so many people speeding or on their phone out there, why would they have to pin shit on someone who's innocent?
This post thanked by:
Old 05-09-2016, 06:03 PM   #25
RS Operative (G)

Thanked 4,566 Times in 1,529 Posts
perfect!! Pull over if you need to check your phone. Nobody is that important that they need to check there phone while they drive
hal0g0dv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: