REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-24-2016, 09:20 PM   #1
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,984 Times in 995 Posts
Former McDonald's CEO dropping bombs about $15.00 Minimum Wage Across USA

Fox Business | Business News & Stock Quotes - Saving & Investing

Quote:
“I was at the National Restaurant Show yesterday and if you look at the robotic devices that are coming into the restaurant industry -- it’s cheaper to buy a $35,000 robotic arm than it is to hire an employee who’s inefficient making $15 an hour bagging French fries -- it’s nonsense and it’s very destructive and it’s inflationary and it’s going to cause a job loss across this country like you’re not going to believe,” said former McDonald’s (MCD) USA CEO Ed Rensi
he is 1000% on point. Every province must look things differently and adjust according to their cost of living. Just lol @ places like Michigan having $15.00 min wage. No one will afford anything and no one will get jobs!
Advertisement

Can someone tell good or unusual dating spots? Or what was your the most unusual date? THanks for sharing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
my bedroom =D
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
that's a great secret date spot,
i bet no girl in vancouver has seen it.
Verdasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 09:31 PM   #2
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,872 Times in 3,849 Posts
The idea of a national minimum wage in countries with such a wide variety of living costs (like Canada and the US) is a fucking joke.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-24-2016, 09:33 PM   #3
God of Unce

No more $14 dolla balla?
Old 05-24-2016, 11:34 PM   #4
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
The idea of a national minimum wage in countries with such a wide variety of living costs (like Canada and the US) is a fucking joke.
ok so what's the BC minimum wage should be?
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-25-2016, 05:26 AM   #5
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
The real effect that mandating a minimum $15 wage is that who actually will pay it to the employees? Businesses do not manufacture money...like the government..the money they have comes from somebody else. The "free money" government gives away comes from your taxes.They take it from somebody who earned it and give it to someone who did not. The increased wage costs must be passed on to the consumers and that means prices will either go up or the business will go out of business.

Most of the businesses paying minimum wage operate on small profit margins and they must retain that margin or close theiur doors. The people behind this $15 an hour meme are often unions. They support it for two reasons : they are trolling for more members....and they know that all their contracts that are based on the minimum wage plus$$ deals will mean they get more money from this increase. The fact that employers will be forced to likely lay off existing employees to meet the cost increases is just collateral damage.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 05:32 AM   #6
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Inflation is a pretty simple concept. Simply put: If wage goes up, the price for goods and services go up.
Reeyal is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-25-2016, 05:33 AM   #7
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 2,237 Times in 251 Posts
This video is related to what the former McDonalds CEO says about robots replacing workers, which I find very interesting.

ziggyx is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-25-2016, 07:51 AM   #8
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Technology to replace manual labor. That's how we evolve. Cut out the fat being the minimum skill jobs like call center, transportation drivers, construction workers, manufacturing jobs will leave more room for companies to invest in further advanced technology and go forward. This is not a diss on those jobs, just a reality that these jobs will be gone in 50-100 years time.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-25-2016, 08:11 AM   #9
I subscribe to Revscene

I'd be curious as to what a robot made quarter pounder would be like. maybe it'll look more like the menu pic and not a squished lopsided delicious mess.

If robots take over McD's, are they going to program some sort of "death stare" mechanism into the cashier for when i ask for another bbq sauce? wouldn't be the same without it.
dat_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:28 AM   #10
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,440 Times in 4,281 Posts
Maybe smiles will no longer be free.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:31 AM   #11
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
In many parts of the world, McD has already eliminated some of the jobs with touch screen menu boards where you can place your order and pay for it and you get that little piece of paper with a number on it.
It's just gonna take time but soon they will have automated machines to cook and prepare the food and have just 1 or 2 people to man the machines and make sure they function properly.
Much like how those mini donuts are made at the PNE or Krispy Kreme donuts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:32 AM   #12
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Maybe smiles will no longer be free.
If we see Smoothie smiling, we know where his hands are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-25-2016, 08:42 AM   #13
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,478 Times in 1,679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlkko View Post
Technology to replace manual labor. That's how we evolve. Cut out the fat being the minimum skill jobs like call center, transportation drivers, construction workers, manufacturing jobs will leave more room for companies to invest in further advanced technology and go forward. This is not a diss on those jobs, just a reality that these jobs will be gone in 50-100 years time.

If McD's uses more touch screen menus and robotic arms in their restaurants, who is gonna take orders in the drive thru?

You would need advanced voice recognition software to recognize the different voices and accents of customers ordering through the drive thru.

Put a cyborg or android to work at the drive thru counter?

She better look hot with big titties to provide that good customer service experience.
Old 05-25-2016, 09:10 AM   #14

Thanked 5,474 Times in 2,095 Posts
speaking of insufficient McDonald's worker; asked for no mayo on all my mcwraps last night > ended up with mayo in all of my mcwraps

yeah these fuckers definitely don't deserve $15/for this fuck up!
Old 05-25-2016, 09:29 AM   #15
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,357 Times in 3,446 Posts
it does not matter if the minimum wage is 7 bux or 15 bux a $30000 robot that can work all day without a break is still cheaper. The technology is not there yet but if it was they would have replaced all the workers already.
Old 05-25-2016, 09:34 AM   #16
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
In many parts of the world, McD has already eliminated some of the jobs with touch screen menu boards where you can place your order and pay for it and you get that little piece of paper with a number on it.
It's just gonna take time but soon they will have automated machines to cook and prepare the food and have just 1 or 2 people to man the machines and make sure they function properly.
Much like how those mini donuts are made at the PNE or Krispy Kreme donuts.
We have that in Canada already.

Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 09:44 AM   #17
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,438 Times in 981 Posts
well they're gonna raise prices for food, cut workers, automate, maybe use cheaper ingredients, etc...

for a public company like them, they aren't going to just accept that they will make less money.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-25-2016, 09:48 AM   #18
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

what they really need first is to allow us to order on our phones so i don't have to line up 20 mins for my small cone that i finish in 5 mins
jackmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-25-2016, 10:07 AM   #19
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,372 Times in 3,904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit View Post
well they're gonna raise prices for food, cut workers, automate, maybe use cheaper ingredients, etc...

for a public company like them, they aren't going to just accept that they will make less money.
a corporations goal is to maximize profits, cheaper ingredients? maybe so, if they could they would be selling leftovers to people, but the government is there to stop them from doing that...

people seem to support corporate overlords on here, and put down the government... if it weren't for the government you'd be working for peanuts and living at your job place so that you can be available 24/7 (look at China)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmeister View Post
what they really need first is to allow us to order on our phones so i don't have to line up 20 mins for my small cone that i finish in 5 mins
it takes you 5 mins to finish a small cone? wtf! one gulp n its gone!
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-25-2016, 10:37 AM   #20
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,438 Times in 981 Posts
i support a living wage but not for everybody. someone who lives at home with their parents and is going to school probably doesn't need $15/hr, but someone who has to pay rent and has expenses definitely does. the system needs to help the latter.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-25-2016, 10:41 AM   #21
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,242 Times in 861 Posts
Starbucks mobile order is a thing now. I use it daily. Beats waiting in line for 5 minutes.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 10:45 AM   #22
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,372 Times in 3,904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
a corporations goal is to maximize profits, cheaper ingredients? maybe so, if they could they would be selling leftovers to people, but the government is there to stop them from doing that...

people seem to support corporate overlords on here, and put down the government... if it weren't for the government you'd be working for peanuts and living at your job place so that you can be available 24/7 (look at China)
And look even in China where employees are working for peanuts and living on site. With no government oversight, the mighty corporation still wants cheaper employment, so they're cutting jobs
Foxconn replaces '60,000 factory workers with robots' - BBC News

Quote:
Apple and Samsung supplier Foxconn has reportedly replaced 60,000 factory workers with robots.
One factory has "reduced employee strength from 110,000 to 50,000 thanks to the introduction of robots", a government official told the South China Morning Post.
Xu Yulian, head of publicity for the Kunshan region, added: "More companies are likely to follow suit."
China is investing heavily in a robot workforce.
In a statement to the BBC, Foxconn Technology Group confirmed that it was automating "many of the manufacturing tasks associated with our operations" but denied that it meant long-term job losses.
"We are applying robotics engineering and other innovative manufacturing technologies to replace repetitive tasks previously done by employees, and through training, also enable our employees to focus on higher value-added elements in the manufacturing process, such as research and development, process control and quality control.
"We will continue to harness automation and manpower in our manufacturing operations, and we expect to maintain our significant workforce in China."
Since September 2014, 505 factories across Dongguan, in the Guangdong province, have invested 4.2bn yuan (£430m) in robots, aiming to replace thousands of workers.
Kunshan, Jiangsu province, is a manufacturing hub for the electronics industry.
Economists have issued dire warnings about how automation will affect the job market, with one report, from consultants Deloitte in partnership with Oxford University, suggesting that 35% of jobs were at risk over the next 20 years.
Former McDonald's chief executive Ed Rensi recently told the US's Fox Business programme a minimum-wage increase to $15 an hour would make companies consider robot workers.
"It's cheaper to buy a $35,000 robotic arm than it is to hire an employee who is inefficient, making $15 an hour bagging French fries," he said.
Foxxconn just cut 60,000 jobs and replaced them with automation... so you really can't be sticking up for the corporations and thumbing your noses at the government for trying to put in rules and minimums for corporations to follow, because even without the govt there, the corporations are going to cut jobs. at least the government will try to look out for you (as long as they're not entirely in the pocket book of companies)
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 10:49 AM   #23
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastarocket View Post
If McD's uses more touch screen menus and robotic arms in their restaurants, who is gonna take orders in the drive thru?
you just answered your own question .. touch screen menu at the drive through ... would be infinitely better than the current voice ordering system.

*its not the size of your army that matters; it's the fury of it's onslaught!*

█♣█
carisear is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-25-2016, 11:14 AM   #24
nns
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,843 Times in 553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
one gulp n its gone!
Old 05-25-2016, 11:18 AM   #25
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,732 Times in 1,168 Posts
Introducing a minimum wage beyond what current price on goods can support is dumb.

It simply gives motivation for companies to invest heavily into automation systems that didn't make financial sense when it was $9/hr. And when that system is done, there will be no turning back even if you reverse the minimum wage. They have found something cheaper.

Same idea as oil market. When price was through the roof, OPEC didn't want to act as they were being flushed with money. Then the price gave enough incentive to develop new techs and that made possible to extract oil from pretty much anywhere... the oil tanked.