REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Man pays speeding tickets in 22,000 pennies (https://www.revscene.net/forums/709058-man-pays-speeding-tickets-22-000-pennies.html)

quasi 06-01-2016 10:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by swiftshift (Post 8760163)
Funny video :)

Yeah, about that.

jlo mein 06-01-2016 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quasi (Post 8760170)
Yeah, about that.

Is this meme photo real? I want this remote control photo to be real so bad....hilarious...

Timpo 06-01-2016 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlo mein (Post 8760117)
So really, he got a speeding ticket from a police officer, and decided to take out his frustration on some court workers that had nothing to do with him receiving the ticket?

yea that's what I was thinking, but if you look at city as whole, it does make sense, if he wanted to make this a retaliation.

The speeding ticket should be making the city some money.
However, for this particular ticket, the city probably lost money due to administration time counting 22,000 pennies taking employees(at least 3 employees?) 3 hours of their time.

Considering other court stuff(documents & cases) inevitably got backed up, it probably wasn't worth for it for the city.

It was virtually having unproductive employees for 3 hours, just as if employees were having a nap for 3 hours.

Imagine every person paid their ticket this way? The court worker will be doing nothing but counting pennies.

pastarocket 06-01-2016 08:49 PM

What an idiot! If he paid by credit card, he could at least get some cashback rewards or points from his credit card company. :lawl:

Mancini 06-01-2016 08:58 PM

And it had absolutely zero effect on anyone who can do anything about it. He put himself through a lot of effort to show some administrative staff. Oh, and he was speeding.

Timpo 06-01-2016 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mancini (Post 8760309)
And it had absolutely zero effect on anyone who can do anything about it. He put himself through a lot of effort to show some administrative staff. Oh, and he was speeding.

He was going 63km/h on 50km/h zone. Do you really call that speeding?
(yea I know, legally speaking even if you go 50.00000001 km/h, you deserve a speeding ticket)
I bet approx. 100% people out there deserves a speeding ticket everyday if going 63km/h on 50km/h zone is that big of a deal.

Let's face the reality here. The 50km/h zone is too low on many roads. Not all of them, but many.

But I do agree, if he had that much of time and energy to prove something, he might as well write a formal letter to get the speed limit reviewed or maybe start a petition..

marksport 06-10-2016 11:31 AM

Many US cities, counties and judiciary branches rely on revenue from traffic tickets, which is why police are more inclined to ticket you. I recall driving on I5 and counting over 12 state trooper vehicles and speed traps from the border down to Seattle. Some folks in Washington also told me city cops often ticket you for as low as 5mph(8kph) over the limit. Here in BC ticket payment goes to Reciever General and the Provincial government gets to decide what to do with those funds.

marksport 06-10-2016 11:31 AM

Traffic Tickets Issued by Police Decline Due to Higher Speed Limits, New Priorities

zetazeta 06-10-2016 11:51 AM

What an asshole. Taking out your anger and frustration on an employee who has nothing to do with it....

Does the USA have similar currency laws as Canada? If so, they could've refused the transaction.

Quote:

(2) A payment in coins referred to in subsection (1) is a legal tender for no more than the following amounts for the following denominations of coins:

(a) forty dollars if the denomination is two dollars or greater but does not exceed ten dollars;

(b) twenty-five dollars if the denomination is one dollar;

(c) ten dollars if the denomination is ten cents or greater but less than one dollar;

(d) five dollars if the denomination is five cents; and

(e) twenty-five cents if the denomination is one cent.
Currency Act

6o4__boi 06-10-2016 12:22 PM

makes me glad we no longer have pennies here

i fuckin hated pennies with a passion