REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Handicap parking pass (https://www.revscene.net/forums/709117-handicap-parking-pass.html)

IMASA 06-04-2016 04:52 PM

Handicap parking pass

Is there an official handicap parking pass handed out by the municipal government or can anyone just go out and buy a sign? What can be done about people who are abusing handicap parking passes?

In our condo in Richmond, there is 1 residential unit that has a handicap parking pass that always parks in the handicap spot. Their assigned parking spots are far away from the elevator and they have 3 vehicles and only 2 assigned spots. So they always park 1 car with the handicap pass in the handicap spot.

We feel they are misusing the handicap parking pass as they do not have any visible issues. They go to Costco like everyone else, buy tons of stuff and are able to carry it around like everyone else.

I checked Richmond city hall's website and it shows that official passes are handled by
Richmond Centre for Disability

and the website shows passes that look like this
http://www.rcdrichmond.org/images/placard.jpg

Their pass does not look like that. It just a sign that has the handicap logo.

I am on our strata council and I'd like to know what we can do about this. Can we request that they provide us with a letter from their doctor indicating they have a medical need that requires the use of our handicap spot?

tldr;
- Resident has 3 cars but only 2 spots.
- They are parking 1 car in the handicap spot using a handicap sign that doesn't look legit
- Their pass has the logo, but no numbers, no date/year punched out like the pic from the City of Richmond website
- How do we confirm if their pass is legit?

Wetordry 06-04-2016 04:59 PM

Everyone is handicapped in Richmond

I suggest you play fire with fire: go get your own handicapped sign and take that parking spot.

punkwax 06-04-2016 05:23 PM

No "visible issues" eh... I'll just leave this here. I'll also apologize in advance for the shitty link, too lazy to search for the full vid.

Inaii 06-04-2016 06:35 PM

Not all disabilities are visible. Have you tried speaking with them? Are they preventing someone else from using the spot?

MG1 06-04-2016 11:43 PM

Sounds to me like they have a knock off placard. The placard should have a serial number, so you can trace the card to its owner.

Contact sparc bc.

Parking Permit

Brad Fuel 06-05-2016 12:19 AM

If you can't enforce the placard, enforce it a different way.

The stall is a common property visitor stall? Put a time limit restriction on it.

zulutango 06-05-2016 04:49 AM

My Dad had one for his car. His doctor had to fill out paperwork and it was processed thru these guys..Parking Permits for People with Disabilities | DriveSmartBC

They issue the official ones. They have serial numbers, expirey dates and the user's name on it. Any others are not legal.

sebberry 06-05-2016 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IMASA (Post 8761062)
I am on our strata council and I'd like to know what we can do about this. Can we request that they provide us with a letter from their doctor indicating they have a medical need that requires the use of our handicap spot?

Is this parking spot a visitor's spot? If so, do the bylaws prohibit owners from parking in visitor spots?

DragonChi 06-05-2016 02:28 PM

So far the evidence points towards your neighbours as being scumbags taking handicap spots.

Take a picture of their car, plates, and fake placard. Send it to city hall, and your strata.

That's what I would do.

tiger_handheld 06-05-2016 08:38 PM

tow the car...
if they complain, request proof pass is real.
if fake, owner is on the hook for tow unauthorized parking.
if real, well you just pay the towing charges.

$200 lesson worth it?

Gh0stRider 06-05-2016 09:35 PM

i dont think the city will get involved if it is on private property, so contact the strata.

6o4__boi 06-06-2016 09:22 AM

OP is this your resident?

Condo parking dispute: B.C. couple upset over Court of Appeal ruling - British Columbia - CBC News

sounds pretty fishy to me
i'd definitely look into their so-called handicap pass

if they're one of those dipshits who use fake ones, i fucking hope they get crippled for real.

wing_woo 06-06-2016 09:53 AM

One other thing about the handicapped pass is that if someone parks in the spot and you suspect the person who the pass is for is not in the car, you can ask for proof.

Basically, if one family member is legally entitled to that handicapped pass, then that person has to be in the vehicle when parking in the spot. So, you can't just leave the pass on your car and use that as an excuse to park at handicapped spots whenever you feel like it because you have the pass. ie. the pass is specific to a person, not the vehicle so person must be with you when pass is used.