REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   MKVI Golf TDI Issues (https://www.revscene.net/forums/709180-mkvi-golf-tdi-issues.html)

Lomac 06-09-2016 09:10 AM

MKVI Golf TDI Issues

So, apart from the obvious Dieselgate issue, what are the common issues with the 6th gen Golf TDI? Been looking for a DD to replace my current one and I've always wanted one of these. Haven't found a lot on TDIClub or VWVortex, so I was hoping someone here might be familiar with this particular generation and could shine some light on it.

And, no, I dont care about the DG problems. If anything, I'd probably eventually chip it anyway.

godwin 06-09-2016 04:22 PM

TDI specific issues? or just MK4 issues ie doors, windows etc etc (pretty much everything haha)? TDI uses a more expensive battery than the gas ones (the same size and fitments as the BMWs).. if you are in the loops you would want the block warmers etc?

TjAlmeida 06-09-2016 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by godwin (Post 8762498)
TDI specific issues? or just MK4 issues ie doors, windows etc etc (pretty much everything haha)? TDI uses a more expensive battery than the gas ones (the same size and fitments as the BMWs).. if you are in the loops you would want the block warmers etc?

Lomac asked about MK6 not MK4.

Inaii 06-09-2016 04:39 PM

I think godwin read the VI backwards lol

godwin 06-09-2016 07:29 PM

Hah yes.. 4 was just too traumatizing.

hmm for Mark 6, for me the brakes between the gas and diesel models feel different. If you go up and down the Coq with "flow of traffic" be prepare to change quite often.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TjAlmeida (Post 8762502)
Lomac asked about MK6 not MK4.

roastpuff 06-09-2016 09:02 PM

DSG service every 60,000KM or so - be prepared to pay for it as it's about $400 at the local shops (more at dealer).

HPFP can be an issue with some units, not sure if that's been remedied.

Lomac 06-09-2016 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by godwin (Post 8762498)

lol I already have an MK4 TDI, though in Jetta form. Want to update to the MK6.

Quote:

Originally Posted by roastpuff (Post 8762571)
DSG service every 60,000KM or so - be prepared to pay for it as it's about $400 at the local shops (more at dealer).

HPFP can be an issue with some units, not sure if that's been remedied.

Yeah, heard about the service intervals for the DSG. How difficult is it to DIY, though? Not afraid of doing my own work and I'm not a fan of paying several hundred dollars for someone to simply change my own fluids.

whitev70r 06-09-2016 10:20 PM

Is carbon build up an issue with VI? It was for IV.

roastpuff 06-10-2016 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lomac (Post 8762580)
lol I already have an MK4 TDI, though in Jetta form. Want to update to the MK6.

Yeah, heard about the service intervals for the DSG. How difficult is it to DIY, though? Not afraid of doing my own work and I'm not a fan of paying several hundred dollars for someone to simply change my own fluids.

You need to have a VAG-COM for part of the procedure, specialized tool to fill/service the fluid, have the transmission up to temp etc - it's a pain in the ass. I like to DIY what I can but I decided to have PG Performance handle it for me because you basically need a lift to not make it an exercise in contortions.

Here's the trickiest part as an excerpt from the service guide:
Quote:

Leave hose connected to the transmission
Warm up the car; 10-15 minutes of idling the engine from cold will be sufficient.
Keeping your foot on the brake, cycle through each gear selection for 3-5
seconds. This draws the fluid into the transmission at each gear.
The transmission temperature should read between 35-46 degress Celsius (95-113
Farenheit). Ross-Tech VAG-COM software can be used to determine this
specification; when not available, using an appropriate thermometer will be
adequate.
NOTE: At this point, leave the car running
Remove the the filler hose and let the excess oil drain out of transmission.
Remove the filling adapter and install the drain plug with the provided new seal.
Turn off the engine
Tighten the drain plug to 33 ft lb/45Nm of torque.
See this guide from ECS Tuning: http://bd8ba3c866c8cbc330ab-7b26c6f3...ervice_PDF.pdf

DSG Service Kit - ECS Tuning - $240USD

Quote:

Originally Posted by whitev70r (Post 8762594)

For the gas engine, yes it can be an issue and owners have had the intake manifolds walnut blasted/cleaned etc. Can be slowed/prevented with regular Italian tune-ups.

Zedbra 06-10-2016 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whitev70r (Post 8762594)

Not the PD MK4s that came during ULSD and with a different manifold

CorneringArtist 06-10-2016 02:23 PM

Pre-2010 models were suspect to cracked DPFs due to a manufacturing defect. HPFP can hit anyone if water is allowed to condense in the fuel tank, which can be solved with additive in the winter.

If the money in Dieselgate is good, I'm getting out of mine for something a bit more fancy (G37, IS, new GTI, etc.) or something else with boost. Not that I don't like my TDI, it's just a possible way to get something else without having to dig too far into my own pocket.