REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 07-23-2016, 11:43 PM   #1
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
BC Government to pay $2.2 million compensation for accident in Victoria

Young man who fell from corroded lamp post gets $2.2 million
Louise Dickson / Times Colonist

JULY 22, 2016 07:35 PM

Young man who fell from corroded lamp post gets $2.2 million

Eileen Mackey at Victoria General Hospital with her son David, then 17, in 2007. The B.C. Supreme Court has ordered the provincial government to pay $2.2 million in damages to David Mackey, who was injured in a fall at the Inner Harbour causeway. Photograph By John McKay, Victoria Times Colonist

The B.C. Supreme Court has ordered the provincial government to pay $2.2 million in damages to a young Phoenix man who was severely injured when he climbed onto a wall overlooking Victoria’s Inner Harbour, swung around a corroded lamp post and fell 10 metres onto the causeway below.

On Tuesday, Justice George Macintosh found the Provincial Capital Commission was negligent and 35 per cent at fault for the March 31, 2007, accident that left David Mackey, then a 17-year-old high school student, with severe traumatic brain injury. The judge found Mackey was 65 per cent at fault for swinging on the lamp post in a dangerous location.

“It’s obvious if he did not get up on the baluster and swing on the lamp post, the accident would not have happened,” Macintosh wrote in his 64-page judgment.

Macintosh found the lamp post was corroded to the core. When Mackey swung around it, the post came loose. It tottered and he fell onto the concrete walkway below.

In a busy tourist area, where people congregate at all hours of the day, it was an accident waiting to happen, Macintosh wrote. Because the Provincial Capital Commission has been dissolved by statute, the provincial Crown is now the defendant.

Peter Fassbender, minister of Community, Sport and Cultural Development, said the incident was extremely unfortunate and deeply upsetting for all involved.

“We appreciate that all parties have undergone a lengthy judicial process, which has resulted in the decision delivered this week. It would be inappropriate for the province to comment on the specifics of the judgment,” Fassbender said. “Counsel are reviewing the judgment carefully and will be providing advice on next steps in the coming days.”

Court heard that Mackey was one of 24 choir students from Paradise Valley High School visiting Vancouver and Victoria. Mackey, who was described as well-behaved and well-mannered, had swung around lamp posts in Gastown, where the posts were stable and at street level.

This photo, taken in April 2007, shows the area where David MacKey, then 17, fell after swinging on a lamp post. The had been installed on the concrete wall. Photograph By Ray Smith, Victoria Times Colonist

On March 31, as the students walked down to the Inner Harbour, another student, Ryan Ramsay, hopped up on the baluster near the Tourist Information Centre. Ramsay walked around the lamp post but did not swing on it.

Then Mackey got up. Ramsay had turned away, but when he looked back, Mackey was no longer there and the lamp post was leaning toward the water.

During the civil trial, experts testified that the skirt of the lamp post was never bolted to the baluster. The pole itself was corroded to almost nothing but flakes of rust. Although it was painted every year, the lamp post had never been maintained or inspected to see if it was intact.

“By the time of the accident, the lamp post was so poorly supported that it was almost free-standing, waiting for something, perhaps a strong wind, to topple it,” Macintosh wrote.

The accident probably would not have happened if the lamp post had been maintained and bolted in place, he concluded.

Macintosh also had to decide the extent to which the accident affected Mackey’s future earning capability. The teenager wanted to become an orthopedic surgeon.

Mackey’s lawyers argued that he was a young man with exceptional potential and the accident had ruined his career. Mackey was captain of the high school wrestling team and a gifted singer and pianist.

The accident damaged his frontal and temporal lobes. He was in a coma for a week and doctors were not sure if he would survive. Now Mackey is only capable of low-wage, repetitive work.

Lawyers for the Provincial Capital Commission argued Mackey’s high school marks were only average, which would have barred him from achieving the credentials required to become a surgeon.

However, Macintosh did not accept that argument, concluding Mackey — who has siblings with successful careers — would have been able to become an orthopedic surgeon if he hadn’t been injured in the accident. He awarded Mackey $4.53 million US in loss of future earning capacity, along with $250,000 in non-pecuniary damages, $15,000 in in-trust claim and $20,000 in cost of future care.

Damages will be reduced to take into account the fact Mackey was found 65 per cent negligent.
Advertisement
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 12:56 AM   #2
I STILL don't get it

Smh.
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
Very few things in life are 100% risk free. If you are unwilling to take responsibility for any of the potential outcomes of your actions, don't take that action
wstce92 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-24-2016, 01:14 AM   #3
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
lol but he is taking responsibility. 65% responsibility to be exact.

his stupid act, uncovered another stupid act... not maintaining your shit and cutting corners to save money or cuz lazy.

he was a martyr for other idiots that might of swung around the poles! A MARTYR!!! DONT YOU SEE?!
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 01:17 AM   #4

Thanked 9,802 Times in 3,898 Posts
^ so youve NEVER horseplayed in your youth?

guy was just swinging around a lamp post...not like he was disregarding a no trespassing/loitering sign and got hurt.

17 YOs should know better...but technically still not an adult. Play with fire and get burned...majority of us went through taht to some degree just that in his case it's serious and permanent

I do argue it's BS they award him compensation based on a distant potential career. Like seriously he's in high school...with average grades that don't mean shit-all as an indication for becoming a physician.

and how did the judge come up with that arbitrary number of 35%?
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 01:38 AM   #5
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Severe brain trauma. Did he land head first? Kid is probably fucked up for life, I wouldn't worry about the 2mil.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-24-2016, 06:42 AM   #6
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
i'm waiting to see accidents from people in the DTES now trying to do parkour/american ninja warrior fails to try to cash in

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 07:04 AM   #7
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,510 Times in 4,902 Posts
Can we turn this thread into a pole dancing thread instead?

64 page judgement........... judges earning their pay.

Spoiler!
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.

Last edited by MG1; 07-24-2016 at 07:09 AM.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 07:25 AM   #8

they couldn't have argued that he's the black sheep of the family of successful professionals?

Quote:
Greenstoner
originalhypa
Quote:

Old 07-24-2016, 08:03 AM   #9
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
I dont take issue that the province was found partially at fault too, after all the lamp post was badly corroded if the dumbass didn't swing around and hurt himself, the post may have fallen over at another time and hurt a responsible person

what i do take issue with is the judges reasoning for those damages

Quote:
Now Mackey is only capable of low-wage, repetitive work.

Lawyers for the Provincial Capital Commission argued Mackey’s high school marks were only average, which would have barred him from achieving the credentials required to become a surgeon.

However, Macintosh did not accept that argument, concluding Mackey — who has siblings with successful careers — would have been able to become an orthopedic surgeon if he hadn’t been injured in the accident . He awarded Mackey $4.53 million US in loss of future earning capacity, along with $250,000 in non-pecuniary damages, $15,000 in in-trust claim and $20,000 in cost of future care.
Judge must have felt bad for the guys current condition
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-24-2016, 09:42 AM   #10
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,584 Times in 4,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
I dont take issue that the province was found partially at fault too, after all the lamp post was badly corroded if the dumbass didn't swing around and hurt himself, the post may have fallen over at another time and hurt a responsible person
That's good way to look at it because my first reaction was that they shouldn't pay him a dime, cause the post didn't break from normal use but from his own negligence.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 11:29 AM   #11
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
It would be so much cheaper to just pay the odd claim out for shit like this than it would be to generate and maintain an integrity management system for fucking light poles lol

Shitty deal for the kid but IMO he is 100% responsible, the purpose of that pole is to support a light, not a parkour hero.

Now if the light post fell over in the wind and hit someone, yes province/municipality 100% at fault.

Nice basis for a claim, I'm sure he was going to be a fucking ortho.
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-24-2016, 11:47 AM   #12
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,382 Times in 3,464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonturbo View Post
It would be so much cheaper to just pay the odd claim out for shit like this than it would be to generate and maintain an integrity management system for fucking light poles lol

Shitty deal for the kid but IMO he is 100% responsible, the purpose of that pole is to support a light, not a parkour hero.

Now if the light post fell over in the wind and hit someone, yes province/municipality 100% at fault.

Nice basis for a claim, I'm sure he was going to be a fucking ortho.
Kid ways about 150 pounds. if a light pole can't candle that we got big problems. How much longer before a gust of wind took it down?
Old 07-24-2016, 12:11 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Kid ways about 150 pounds

Quote:
Greenstoner
originalhypa
Quote:

This post thanked by:
Old 07-24-2016, 01:02 PM   #14
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Feel bad for the kid but the judgement seems suspect based on the article. I haven't read the full 64-page judgment.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 01:58 PM   #15
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

judgement will be appealed without a doubt
van_city23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 02:08 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Kid ways about 150 pounds. if a light pole can't candle that we got big problems. How much longer before a gust of wind took it down?
Well... a light pole is meant to support a light, it was not designed as a moment connection intended for an adult male performing gymnastics.

Care to provide a recommended design criteria for light poles in BC?

"Light pole shall be able to support the load of an adults who ways 150LBS swinging in a circumferential manner around the vertical axis of the pole"

Last edited by jasonturbo; 07-24-2016 at 03:17 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-24-2016, 02:47 PM   #17

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Question..

Can I claim damage and sue the province/city for multi-million $ if I fall off something that was not intended to be hanged on?

Traffic light post, road signs, power pole, bus stops, there are things you can climb on everywhere.

So the government will be 35% responsible if these people get injured.
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-24-2016, 03:17 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
Question..

Can I claim damage and sue the province/city for multi-million $ if I fall off something that was not intended to be hanged on?

Traffic light post, road signs, power pole, bus stops, there are things you can climb on everywhere.

So the government will be 35% responsible if these people get injured.
Yes, and now that a precedent has been set, it should be nothing more than a formality lol
Old 07-24-2016, 04:20 PM   #19
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,382 Times in 3,464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonturbo View Post
Well... a light pole is meant to support a light, it was not designed as a moment connection intended for an adult male performing gymnastics.

Care to provide a recommended design criteria for light poles in BC?

"Light pole shall be able to support the load of an adults who ways 150LBS swinging in a circumferential manner around the vertical axis of the pole"
So you are saying that rust had nothing to do with the pole falling and I can take down a light pole by swinging on it?

http://www.kornegayengineering.com/w...er-acrosby.pdf

Check page 17 and 18.

If I am reading the chart right a 20 foot pole can handle 443 pounds with a 80 MPH wind.
Old 07-24-2016, 06:53 PM   #20

Would it blow your mind if I told you a 150lb adult swinging around a light pole generates a load far greater than 150lbs? #sciencebruh

Beyond that, the document you linked and tables referenced are for square steel street poles for use in the State of Gerogia, the design of those poles likely differs significantly from a the light pole in question.

I'm also not sure exactly what those weight figures represent in the table.
Old 07-24-2016, 07:21 PM   #21
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,510 Times in 4,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
Question..

Uh, you would risk brain injury.............. uh, scratch that........... risk severe spinal cord injury - maybe quadriplegia to make some money?

You know that we all pay for it in the end, right?
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-24-2016, 08:00 PM   #22
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Maybe I'm in the minority but good, fuck him for being an idiot and paying for it.

I just don't get people that do stupid shit and then try to blame others for their stupidity
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-24-2016, 08:16 PM   #23
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,809 Times in 8,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28 View Post
Maybe I'm in the minority but good, fuck him for being an idiot and paying for it.

I just don't get people that do stupid shit and then try to blame others for their stupidity
If he climbed the pole, and his fingers slipped and he fell, he wouldn't be blaming others for his stupidity.

However it should be reasonable to expect a light pole to be able to hold your weight. No matter how stupid the reason he was up there, whether for shits and giggles, or trying to get away from a rabid dog, the post fell due to the city's negligence.

Judge found him to be mostly at fault, but the city having left things in shitty disrepair made them partially responsible.

They'll appeal but I kind of agree with the judge. Yes kids do dumb shit. I've done dumb shit that probably would have gotten me killed if things were different than I had expected due to someone else's negligence. I'm sure you have too, or someone you know.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 09:08 PM   #24
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
You all are agueing like the lamp post snapped out of the ground and fell with him. The article doesn't say anything beyond that it was leaning over. It may have been leaning 5 degrees.

I like how the fucking judge plainly says “It’s obvious if he did not get up on the baluster and swing on the lamp post, the accident would not have happened,” Macintosh wrote in his 64-page judgment.

Meaning if the stupid kid didn't play a stupid game, the accident would not have happened. Yet he then assigns 1/3rd of the blame so someone else.

Thats like saying, someone tripped and fell while jumping in front of a train, but the train is partially at fault because it was blue
Old 07-24-2016, 09:37 PM   #25
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,809 Times in 8,186 Posts
If the kid didn't climb the post, it wouldn't have happened

If the post wasn't rusted to shit and broke on him, it wouldn't have happened

Therefore, he is mostly to blame, whoever let the post get all rusted is also partially to blame
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: