REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Where to donate textbooks? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/709744-where-donate-textbooks.html)

distanc3 07-25-2016 09:31 AM

Where to donate textbooks?

Accumulated quite a few textbooks which are dated and would like to donate them to a cause instead of a recycling depot.

Any suggestions is appreciated. Thanks

meme405 07-25-2016 10:04 AM

Also interested in this. I have some books which are worth keeping (in my office at work now for reference material), and others which I will obviously never return to using.

Fucking things aren't cheap either, so you feel bad throwing away a $600+ book.

milkStar 07-25-2016 10:12 AM

Could you guys post some of the books you're willing to donate? Maybe I could take a select few off your hands. I would even pick it up at your door step.

EmperorIS 07-25-2016 10:15 AM

Can't you just drop them off at your local library?

Autorice 07-25-2016 10:18 AM

at the recycle depot on marine dr processing plant there is a bin that says they donate the books. I don't know which causes but I brought a lot of text books there.

cunninglinguist 07-25-2016 11:07 AM

You can always stick in in one of those free neighborhood library exchanges.

Mapping Vancouver's neighborhood book exchanges | Georgia Straight Vancouver's News & Entertainment Weekly

godwin 07-25-2016 11:40 AM

They are like the clothing bins.. they collect books by the ton and sell them for pulp. So instead of the city getting the $$ back to proceeds, the middle person have most to gain.

You can't do good without some leg work.. use your phone and scan the barcodes and post up the books on craigslists.. if you are really serious.

Similar to this (except heavier and less valuable) Clothing donation bins spark turf war in Ontario - Canada - CBC News

Quote:

Originally Posted by Autorice (Post 8775278)
at the recycle depot on marine dr processing plant there is a bin that says they donate the books. I don't know which causes but I brought a lot of text books there.

meme405 07-25-2016 12:19 PM

That's a little disappointing to think that the only value remaining in many hundred dollar text books is only the value of it's weight in pulp.

On the other hand:

Quote:

Originally Posted by cunninglinguist (Post 8775297)
You can always stick in in one of those free neighborhood library exchanges.

Mapping Vancouver's neighborhood book exchanges | Georgia Straight Vancouver's News & Entertainment Weekly

This is fantastic, as someone who used to read quite a bit, but now having stopped almost entirely, I think this is a cool initiative.

This reminded me that one of my family members appartment complex had a communal library which is quite large. I will likely throw my books in there, at least there someone might stumble upon them and give them a new lease on life.

Hondaracer 07-25-2016 12:34 PM

if you ever plan to move somewhere with a big office, or a place with a nice big bookshelf, it's always nice to have the larger hard cover text books as filler in the shelves.

Ive kept most of mine and only about 1/4 i'd ever use for reference, but the rest of the spines make for nice filler lol

westopher 07-25-2016 08:46 PM

Sellmytextbooks.org
You can find out if they will give you money for them at UBC bookstore, and if they aren't current they donate them to African schools.
Realistically not current just means they reorganized the pages so people have to buy the new edition, so its pretty helpful I'm sure.

PiuYi 07-25-2016 08:55 PM

UBC BOOKSTORE

they have a big bin in the back for donating used/old textbooks

meme405 07-25-2016 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by westopher (Post 8775473)
Realistically not current just means they reorganized the pages so people have to buy the new edition, so its pretty helpful I'm sure.

Oh absolutely, I remember a course I took I accidentally bought an older edition of the book.

Found out that in the beginning of the book they had just added like 3 extra pages of fluff, and that all the instructors references were just 3 pages ahead of where the stuff was in my edition of the book.

Literally everything in the book was identical other than that, even the spelling errors and grammatical errors in certain spots, and this was a book which taught BIM workflows, so you actually had to follow along in the book page by page.

Ridiculous, that borders on corruption to revise an identical book every year to a new edition, just to prevent reselling. Fucking uni, fucking book companies.

Gucci Mane 07-25-2016 10:23 PM

don't throw them away. i've watched these amazing youtube videos from this one guy named Tai Lopez. he's a genius! he's got a nice house in the hills of LA and in his garage he's got a whole lot of books along with a sick lambo!

according to him, knowledge is the real power!!!! KNAAAAAAALEDGE

:troll:

StylinRed 07-26-2016 01:00 AM

you can just bring them back to your school bookstore, even if they're outdated, the school will take/buy them back