REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 09-25-2016, 09:10 PM   #1
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Car Importing

Kinda a newbie to this but what are the best websites or dealers to go to if i wanted to import a car from japan?
Advertisement
pmallari is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-26-2016, 11:10 PM   #2
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

SBTJapan.
willieaames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 08:13 AM   #3
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 3,079 Times in 958 Posts
What about importing from UK?
Old 09-27-2016, 02:30 PM   #4
RS.net Licensed Sponsor Dealer

or europe? japan ones all want deposits for auctions. dealerships are easier but inventory is less.
Autorice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 06:16 PM   #5
in the butt

Thanked 3,151 Times in 1,167 Posts

i personally sent a deposit to japan exporter, didnt end up buying a car, got my $$ back.
donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 09:58 PM   #6
Cool beans bro

Thanked 1,053 Times in 231 Posts
I used Pacific Coast Auto a a few months ago. Just took delivery the other week.

Yes, youll need a deposit to send to him (100k Yen) and he does all the work and ships it out to you. You then have the option of doing the paperwork yourself or paying an importer to do it for you. I did it myself and its pretty straight forward. Keep in mind exporting and importing are two different animals. Derek is great cause his communication is paramount and his fee isnt too bad at all. He basically charges a 100k yen service fee, which covers the auction bidding, translations, HD video and photos when it arrives to him and all the paperwork mailed out to you for importing.
JordanLee is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-28-2016, 04:49 AM   #7
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanLee View Post
I used Pacific Coast Auto a a few months ago. Just took delivery the other week.

Yes, youll need a deposit to send to him (100k Yen) and he does all the work and ships it out to you. You then have the option of doing the paperwork yourself or paying an importer to do it for you. I did it myself and its pretty straight forward. Keep in mind exporting and importing are two different animals. Derek is great cause his communication is paramount and his fee isnt too bad at all. He basically charges a 100k yen service fee, which covers the auction bidding, translations, HD video and photos when it arrives to him and all the paperwork mailed out to you for importing.
what car did you get?
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 06:27 AM   #8
Cool beans bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
what car did you get?
2001 Land Cruiser Prado 3.0 turbo diesel. Waited long and hard to get one with the modern common rail diesel motor. So far mileage has been great haha. 620-650kms on a 65ltr fill up. Nearly 10l/100km, which is crazy for an suv this large. I posted a photo in the whip thread.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-29-2016, 05:49 PM   #9
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

NICE,
Except Form 1, what else we need??

Quote:

Last edited by yip_yee; 09-29-2016 at 07:11 PM.
yip_yee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 06:02 PM   #10
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,578 Times in 934 Posts
Quote:
2001 Land Cruiser Prado 3.0 turbo diesel. Waited long and hard to get one with the modern common rail diesel motor. So far mileage has been great haha. 620-650kms on a 65ltr fill up. Nearly 10l/100km, which is crazy for an suv this large. I posted a photo in the whip thread.
nice, 3rd gen? does it share many parts with lexus gx? i was thinking about getting one myself.
vitaminG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 01:49 PM   #11
Cool beans bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by yip_yee View Post
NICE,
Except Form 1, what else we need??
When it arrives, youll need to get a soil inspection first thing. Fax in the request to get one done and usually within 24-48 hours theyll send it back completed and charge your $48. This is to make sure the car is clean and isn't bringing over some invasive algae bacterial bloom that wipes out our fish.

Once you have that, youll need to fill out form 1 and have CBSA stamp it. It is here where youll pay GST+duty (5%+6.1%) 11.1% total. Theyll need to see the completed soil form, invoice, shipping receipt, and translated export documents.

You then need to have the port clear the vehicle, you need to request access now to be able to even get inside, this can also take 1-24 hours to hear back from them. When they do, theyll set up a time and day to drop by, make sure you pick up an A-B permit the day they approve it so you can legally drive it away.

Then run to an autoplan to register it and plate it. Youll then pay the remaining PST (7%) on the vehicle.

Theres a bunch of guides online I found as well but thats the gist of it when I did it a few weeks ago. I basically got it all done within 3 days. Some people have everything line up and can do it within a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaminG View Post
nice, 3rd gen? does it share many parts with lexus gx? i was thinking about getting one myself.
Its actually a 2nd! 96-2000.5 had the 1KZ-TE motor which is pretty bulletproof but also very unrefined and clunky. I opted to find a 01 with the newer 1KD-FTV to get the quieter and more efficient motor (injectors are also WAY more for the KD motor though). Suspension wise the car is a 3rd gen 4Runner (easy to lift). Most parts actually swap over from the 4runner rather than the GX cause GX was considered 3rd gen in Japan as far as a Prado goes.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-30-2016, 02:24 PM   #12

Thank you so much. Really helpful.

Quote:
When it arrives, youll need to get a soil inspection first thing. Fax in the request to get one done and usually within 24-48 hours theyll send it back completed and charge your $48. This is to make sure the car is clean and isn't bringing over some invasive algae bacterial bloom that wipes out our fish.

Once you have that, youll need to fill out form 1 and have CBSA stamp it. It is here where youll pay GST+duty (5%+6.1%) 11.1% total. Theyll need to see the completed soil form, invoice, shipping receipt, and translated export documents.

You then need to have the port clear the vehicle, you need to request access now to be able to even get inside, this can also take 1-24 hours to hear back from them. When they do, theyll set up a time and day to drop by, make sure you pick up an A-B permit the day they approve it so you can legally drive it away.

Then run to an autoplan to register it and plate it. Youll then pay the remaining PST (7%) on the vehicle.

Theres a bunch of guides online I found as well but thats the gist of it when I did it a few weeks ago. I basically got it all done within 3 days. Some people have everything line up and can do it within a day.

Its actually a 2nd! 96-2000.5 had the 1KZ-TE motor which is pretty bulletproof but also very unrefined and clunky. I opted to find a 01 with the newer 1KD-FTV to get the quieter and more efficient motor (injectors are also WAY more for the KD motor though). Suspension wise the car is a 3rd gen 4Runner (easy to lift). Most parts actually swap over from the 4runner rather than the GX cause GX was considered 3rd gen in Japan as far as a Prado goes.
yip_yee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 01:01 PM   #13
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,186 Times in 929 Posts
Compared to Brave Auto and Pacific Coast Auto, which has more access to the auctions? Pacific Coast you can already search what cars are available as a guest but is there more available if you register as a member?
JSALES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 01:27 PM   #14
Cool beans bro

Certain importers will only allow customers to bid from specific auction houses. If say you use B-Pros guest account vs PCA, youll get a lot more stuff from private dealers etc but as PCA warned me, theyre often highly inflated in price and have absurd reserves sometimes. They can bid on them though but they won't show up on the importers default list. Otherwise, whether or not your a guest makes no difference. I made my own account so I could make quick lists which saves you a bunch of time in those dropdown boxes every day.
Old 10-28-2016, 08:02 PM   #15

Just buy from Velocity
Curren$y is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-28-2016, 11:01 PM   #16
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Also interested in importing a car from Europe. Looking for an EP3 left hand drive Civic Type R.
09' BMW 128I Coupe (E82) - FS
04' BMW M3 Coupe (E46) - SR
17' Acura MDX SUV (YD4) - SOLD
15' Acura RDX SUV (TB4) - SOLD
14' Acura ILX Sedan (DE1) - SOLD
04' Nissan Pathfinder LE SUV (R50) - SOLD
07 Infiniti FX35 SUV (S50) -SOLD
06' BMW 330i Sedan (E90) - SOLD
97' Acura 1.6EL Sedan (MB4) - SOLD
99' Honda Civic Hatch (EJ6) - SOLD
84' Pontiac Sunbird Coupe (J2000) - SOLD
Kalize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 10:06 PM   #17
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,186 Times in 929 Posts
Bumping this thread

Would it be better if you got the importer to search for the vehicle for you as they may have better vehicle choices that aren't listed on the auction compared to what is listed as available on the auction? From videos I've seen from Brave Auto, he seems pretty knowledgeable of what to be aware of on these vehicles
JSALES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 10:20 PM   #18
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSALES View Post
Bumping this thread

Would it be better if you got the importer to search for the vehicle for you as they may have better vehicle choices that aren't listed on the auction compared to what is listed as available on the auction? From videos I've seen from Brave Auto, he seems pretty knowledgeable of what to be aware of on these vehicles
If you're going to use an importer than one of the primary advantages is them searching the vehicle for you, given whatever specific parameter you want.

Judging from Mark's videos I agree he seems awesome and provides more info than any other exporter/importer.
im G is offline   Reply With Quote