REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 10-10-2016, 09:50 PM   #1
Doesn't know that condom-depot.com has free shipping

Who is eligable for EI?

Hi guys, just a short question, are we eligible for EI if we quit on specific grounds? if so, what are some examples?
Advertisement

Last edited by doritos; 10-10-2016 at 10:31 PM.
doritos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 09:53 PM   #2
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,842 Times in 879 Posts
Are you seriously asking us how you can commit fraud and steal money from us?
EmperorIS is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-10-2016, 10:14 PM   #3
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,579 Times in 4,296 Posts
look for a new job and quit if you don't like where you are currently working...
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 10:16 PM   #4
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doritos View Post
Hi guys, just a short question, are we eligible for EI if we quit on specific grounds? if so, what are some examples? Also, how can I ask employer to lay me off, and if not, what can I do to get laid off?
So you want to not work, even though the company who employs you has work for you, and then you want the government to pay you for the work you aren't doing.

Congrats, you are the reason my generation is an utter disaster. Something for nothing, it's what every entitled sub 30 year old, who grew up with hardworking parents that gave them everything thinks they deserve.

I'm sorry to break it to you, that's not how the world works.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-10-2016, 10:23 PM   #5
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,753 Times in 3,868 Posts
Fuck you OP
Old 10-10-2016, 10:32 PM   #6
Doesn't know that condom-depot.com has free shipping

Last edited by doritos; 10-25-2016 at 10:18 PM.
doritos is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-10-2016, 10:39 PM   #7
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,382 Times in 3,464 Posts
Quote:
lmao Ei money I contribute to that I want back. And I am paying for all those other unemployed people too. I wouldn't be asking if it weren't serious. Just a curious question. You don't know the position I am in with corrupt management. If I quit its very difficult to find another job. Fuck the government.
If you really want to fuck the government you can first start by not using any of the services they provide like roads and hospitals. That would really show them.
Old 10-10-2016, 10:42 PM   #8
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,114 Times in 482 Posts
google showed me this.

Quote:
2. Eligibility
The following information is a guideline. We encourage you to apply for benefits so our processing agents can determine if you are eligible.

You may be entitled to Employment Insurance (EI) regular benefits if you:

were employed in insurable employment;
lost your job through no fault of your own;
have been without work and without pay for at least seven consecutive days in the last 52 weeks;
have worked for the required number of insurable employment hours in the last 52 weeks or since the start of your last EI claim, whichever is shorter;
are ready, willing and capable of working each day;
are actively looking for work (you must keep a written record of employers you contact, including when you contacted them).
You may still qualify for benefits, even if you work for an employer who is related to you.

You may not be entitled for benefits if you:

voluntarily left your job without just cause
were dismissed for misconduct
are unemployed because you are directly participating in a labour dispute (for example, a strike, lockout or other type of conflict)
You are not entitled to receive EI benefits while you are confined to a jail, penitentiary or other similar institution.

If you have been incarcerated but are later found not guilty by a court of law on all counts in relation to the event that led to your incarceration, your qualifying period and benefit period may be extended upon providing necessary proof.

Once you have applied for EI benefits, you will be asked to provide Service Canada with proof that you were confined to a jail, penitentiary or other similar institution and that you were not found guilty of the offence(s) from the event(s) for which you were being held.

For a qualifying period or benefit period to be extended, you will be asked to submit the following documents:

a letter from the institution where you were incarcerated, specifying the dates of your incarceration;
documentation showing that no other outstanding charge(s) in relation to the event(s) that originally led to the incarceration exist, to confirm the time served is not being credited to any other charge(s) in relation to the original event or any other subsequent event;
proof that you have not been found guilty of the charge(s) from the original event that led to your incarceration.
Keep these documents in a safe place. Service Canada will contact you and provide you with instructions on how to submit them.
Alby is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-10-2016, 10:46 PM   #9
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
EI is not a loan you can take out whenever you want. If that is the case EI deduction would be enormous.

Do a stealth job search and ride it out until you find a good fit like everybody else. In fact the moment you are unhappy at your job and there is no recourse, do a stealth job search. I have had terrible management and I am sure fellow revscener had too.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-10-2016, 10:58 PM   #10

Quote:
lmao Ei money I contribute to that I want back.
That's not how it works, this isn't money that you loan to the government temporarily and then you get to claim it back when you decide you want to not go to work like an adult anymore.

Quote:
And I am paying for all those other unemployed people too.

You should really stop looking down the hill and start aspiring to reach the top of the hill. What I mean is that, don't look at what the people below are receiving from who and where, you should look at what those who are above you (where most people strive to be), and do what you can to reach their level. Everyone has a different pyramid of success, some strive just to reach a level where they can enjoy themselves and have a comfortable life, Other's go the full walter white and want to live a life like Dan Bilzerian, this is dependant on each person. What I do know for a fact that nobody atop any pyramid, in anyone's mind anywhere is someone out of a job struggling to make ends meet on EI. So why you would even entertain this idea is ridiculous.

No successful CEO ever looks back and says "Wow I sure paid a lot of money to my secretary, I should go become one". That's the equivalency of what you are saying. "I paid a lot into EI, I should go on it and make that money back".

This post thanked by:
Old 10-10-2016, 11:51 PM   #11
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,984 Times in 995 Posts
does EI work if you get into an apprentice program where its mandatory? and is it 50% of wage?

Can someone tell good or unusual dating spots? Or what was your the most unusual date? THanks for sharing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
my bedroom =D
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
that's a great secret date spot,
i bet no girl in vancouver has seen it.
Verdasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 11:52 PM   #12
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
BAN
Old 10-11-2016, 01:33 AM   #13
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,045 Times in 419 Posts
So many social justice warriors on RS. A guy in need of money for his situation, and people are siding with the government instead of helping the guy think of ways to work around for EI eligibility. As if the government is not already raping us on taxes and inflation, and people still have the moral to "not fuck the government" back. And yeah, one dude going on EI for the next 8 months of his life is totally fucking the government over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
That's not how it works, this isn't money that you loan to the government temporarily and then you get to claim it back when you decide you want to not go to work like an adult anymore.
If you've never been unemployed before due to shortage of work, lay offs, or whatever reason where you're eligible for EI, it sure as hell feels like you're funding the unemployed.

It's natural for someone to feel that way. Imagine the tax you pay goes to nothing. Or the CPP you pay, you'll never it get back. It would feel like shit right?

As for the OP, I've been in your situation before where a company I worked for is total shit. I just wanted to get out but worried if I quit, I will be unemployed for some time and I had bills that I have to pay.

If you really want to leave your company and still get EI, you need to do some research in how your company process and handle stuff like resignation, dismissals, absenteeism, workplace harassment, duty assignment, etc.

Last edited by mr_chin; 10-11-2016 at 01:42 AM.
mr_chin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-11-2016, 02:34 AM   #14
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
OP to answer your question look here

Employment Insurance (EI) and voluntarily leaving - Service Canada

Quote:
A number of circumstances for quitting are considered just cause

You are justified voluntarily leaving your job in the following situations if, considering all the circumstances, quitting your job was the only reasonable alternative in your case:

sexual or other harassment
needing to move with a spouse or dependent child to another place of residence
discrimination
working conditions that endanger your health or safety
having to provide care for a child or another member of your immediate family
reasonable assurance of another job in the immediate future
major changes in the terms and conditions of your job affecting wages or salary
excessive overtime or an employer’s refusal to pay for overtime work
major changes in work duties
difficult relations with a supervisor, for which you are not primarily responsible
your employer is doing things which break the law
discrimination because of membership in an association, organization or union of workers
pressure from your employer or fellow workers to quit your job
Various reasons may prompt you to quit voluntarily your employment. However, to be paid regular benefits, you must prove that quitting your job was the only reasonable alternative in your case. Here is a list of 40 main reasons which may justify voluntarily leaving. You will find for each situation, an overview of the reason, reasonable alternatives that may be used and why the reason for quitting is considered to be with just cause.
And 40 more reasons
http://www.esdc.gc.ca/en/reports/ei/...st.page#a6_8_1

Both links should be read

Last edited by StylinRed; 10-11-2016 at 02:40 AM.
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-11-2016, 03:26 AM   #15
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdasco View Post
does EI work if you get into an apprentice program where its mandatory? and is it 50% of wage?
yeah i heard this too, at my work place.. they told me to hop on the apprentice program, learn what you need to, work the hours you need to. go to school, hop on EI and get grants from the government. they do it so you dont have to stress about classes and going to school everyday. it'd be like doing a double for like 6 weeks, but you dont get paid for 8 of them LOL
heisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 04:12 AM   #16

Thanked 4,735 Times in 812 Posts
Quote:
lmao Ei money I contribute to that I want back.
i've been paying into it for over 37 years but have never been on it. do i get it back if i ask for it?
Old 10-11-2016, 05:00 AM   #17
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,814 Times in 957 Posts
OP is a pussy. Grab him by the pussy.
flagella is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-11-2016, 05:06 AM   #18
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,510 Times in 4,902 Posts
N.V.M. is that old?

I have never in my life gone on EI, UI, whatever it was called over the years. Pension? Damn right I collect pension. Now that is something I will collect without feeling any guilt. I've paid my dues.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-11-2016, 05:23 AM   #19

Thanked 4,735 Times in 812 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
N.V.M. is that old?

I have never in my life gone on EI, UI, whatever it was called over the years. Pension? Damn right I collect pension. Now that is something I will collect without feeling any guilt. I've paid my dues.
don't worry, you're still the oldest.
Old 10-11-2016, 05:37 AM   #20
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,510 Times in 4,902 Posts
but youngest at heart..........
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-11-2016, 07:15 AM   #21

Thanked 3,487 Times in 1,686 Posts
Old 10-11-2016, 07:38 AM   #22
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
As long as your user name isnt gululululu or similar, u should be eligible.
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 08:42 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_chin View Post
If you've never been unemployed before due to shortage of work, lay offs, or whatever reason where you're eligible for EI, it sure as hell feels like you're funding the unemployed.
So you have been fortunate enough to work in an industry where work is steady, and you are valuable enough to the company you work for that you have maintained steady work. Why can't you just be thankful for that?

I know people who have been laid off, or fear job cuts, and having to go on EI. And you guys make it seem like it's a vacation. The point of EI isn't that you can take a break and still make money. The point of EI is to cover you eating ramen noodles while feverishly hunting for a new job.

Purposefully looking for a way to get yourself laid off just so you can go EI is so backwards. I sincerely hope you don't have this mentality with other social services, do you go to safe injection sites to gather free needles, just because it was your taxes that paid for some of them? Do you go eat at soup kitchen's with all the homeless people because you deserve free food?

Oh no wait you sound more like the type of guy who works for cash under the table while claiming EI and all sorts of low income grants.

As I alluded to before; if you have the mentality of a homeless person looking for handouts, you will one day enjoy being a homeless person looking for handouts. Amazing how this generation is contempt with striving for mediocrity instead of success. People accuse me of being a part of the rat race, and a corporate plug. No, I just strive for something higher than the life of a cipher.

This post thanked by:
Old 10-11-2016, 09:34 AM   #24

Thanked 14,753 Times in 3,868 Posts
I like paying taxes. In Canada we enjoy a level of social standard that's envied by many around the globe. Even living in Richmond my whole life... Sure taxes can be expensive, but around this city I see where our dollars go. New parks, green spaces, playgrounds, Xmas lights on trees, beautiful flower gardens on the medians etc.

What I don't like paying towards is your lazy ass trying to suck off the teet of our social system. The OP wouldn't be stealing from the government, he would be stealing from me (us). E.I is a great program. It's a system put in place to provide a helping hand for those in a tough situation get a leg back up on their life. And that is something I am willing to pay for.

I've had friends that earned good money in the manufacturing industry get laid off due to cutbacks. They go on EI, still pull in an equivalent of $25/h and stay on it for multiple years. Even my best friend, she did similar for years. Definitely lost a lot of respect for that person...

I'm not as old as. MG1, but I've been working since I was 16 and have yet to get a penny back for all that EI... I also have had 10 years of no accidents from icbc. Where's my $30,000 cheque back for all those years if insurance???
Old 10-11-2016, 09:39 AM   #25
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
I have a chronic illness and, back in 2003, I became too sick to continue working my job. I had notes from my GP and my specialists stating that I was unable to continue my work activities. I talked to my employer about continuing to work in a different capacity that would be easier on my body, but they declined. I asked if I could be placed on sick leave, they declined. I asked if they could lay me off so I could collect EI, they declined. They told me I could either continue to work my job or quit, so I was forced to quit.

EI declined to cover me because I quit, even though it was for medical reasons. Disability wouldn't cover me because they didn't recognize my disease as a disability (they do now from what I hear). Welfare wouldn't cover me because my girlfriend, who I was living with, made too much money working part-time at Subway.

I ended up being income-less for 2.5 years while waiting for surgery (9 months) and then rehabilitating from surgery (along with several complications such as abcesses, which required further hospitalizations).

IMO, I should have had access to EI or some form of government support.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote