REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   ICBC admits 42 per cent in rate hikes possible, drops insurance for luxury cars ROB (https://www.revscene.net/forums/711029-icbc-admits-42-per-cent-rate-hikes-possible-drops-insurance-luxury-cars-rob.html)

320icar 02-23-2017 09:10 AM

Watching the news on my break, icbc says it will be bankrupt in the next 3 years. Huge losses blah blah raising rates blah blah.

How long until BC ditches this shit crown corporation. Never say never, we did eventually get rid of aircarez

!LittleDragon 02-23-2017 09:22 AM

Got my renewal letter. Looks like my rate went up almost $100. No tickets, no accidents. Nothing changed...

2015 Genesis 5.0 with max 43% Roadstar = $2300

pastarocket 02-23-2017 02:19 PM

What are your thoughts about increased competition for auto insurance business in B.C?

I'm thinking that IF somehow the province allowed private insurance companies to sell basic and optional insurance to drivers, then insurance premiums could go down.

This won't happen in a million years in B.C. but I was thinking what if you more choices in terms of private insurers (GEICO,AllState, etc). like in the U.S.
:considered:

Great68 02-23-2017 02:30 PM

Disagree. Private companies can flat out deny providing insurance, and I don't like that.
My truck just came up for renewal, I was doing my optionals through Coast Insurance, but now that it's crossed 20 years old Coast Capital will no longer insure it. This is a vehicle that is in great shape and well maintained, and I have a perfect driving record. I had to do my optionals back through ICBC.

freakshow 02-23-2017 02:38 PM

i for one welcome our private insurance overlords.
I think some of us older RSers would benefit from lower prices, but the 16-18 year olds might suffer

320icar 02-23-2017 02:39 PM

I also think it's important to not lose sight of the fact we were all young, new drivers once. Coming from motorcycles, beacon etc won't even give you insurance if your under 25 (lets not forget you could legally ride a motorcycle at 16, so you could theoretically already have 9 years riding experience).

We need there to be guaranteed and affordable insurance for our next gen of enthusiasts

freakshow 02-23-2017 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great68 (Post 8825036)
Disagree. Private companies can flat out deny providing insurance, and I don't like that.
My truck just came up for renewal, I was doing my optionals through Coast Insurance, but now that it's crossed 20 years old Coast Capital will no longer insure it. This is a vehicle that is in great shape and well maintained, and I have a perfect driving record. I had to do my optionals back through ICBC.

I would like to think that this is partially because we have a mixed system, which immediately reduces the amount of competition in the industry. If it was fully private, I think there would be enough competition that you could find someone to insure your truck

underscore 02-23-2017 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great68 (Post 8825036)

They can also stop insuring you on a whim. I don't want to have to worry about some company cancelling all my insurance and my wifes insurance just because they didn't like me going to a track day or something (this has happened in Oregon, they cancelled his home insurance too).

I also don't want to have to worry about reading every bit of fine print to know they aren't going to try to get out of paying a claim because of some technicality hidden in a clause. And then do that again for multiple companies to compare quotes. I'm busy enough as it is, I don't need to waste all this time and deal with all these potential headaches just to maybe save a few bucks a year.

MrPhreak 02-23-2017 06:10 PM

In BC, ICBC is actually usable, and really it isn't a bad setup. The problem with it is the NDP started raiding them for huge amounts of cash, and with the debt they racked up the Liberals have had to do the same. So you are not just paying for your car insurance, you are subsidizing your provincial government. I guess one way to look at this is realistically, if they stopped raided ICBC, they would have to increase your taxes somewhere else.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TouringTeg (Post 8820711)
PST ugh. Did you buy both cars within the last 6 months?

So just a quick update, I think I don't have to pay GST on my cars, which would be awesome

noclue 02-23-2017 07:15 PM

FYI if your USED car has a value over $55,000 you will pay an additional luxury tax up to 3%..

bring back the HST please.

twitchyzero 02-23-2017 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !LittleDragon (Post 8824961)
Got my renewal letter. Looks like my rate went up almost $100. No tickets, no accidents. Nothing changed...

2015 Genesis 5.0 with max 43% Roadstar = $2300

that's like 4%

is there a fee list that shows how much bodyshops are charging YoY?

subordinate 02-23-2017 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twitchyzero (Post 8825125)
that's like 4%

is there a fee list that shows how much bodyshops are charging YoY?

That 5.5% increase that just happen..and looks like another coming .....

Arvi604 02-23-2017 10:22 PM

I switched my optionals on two cars (13 328xi & 15 CR-V EX-L) to Bel Air and have more MORE coverage than ICBC ($2.8m 3rd party, $300 collision, $200 Comp, $1m underinsured, roadside loss of use, windshield repair) we are paying $2010/year for both cars down from $3310!!! Huge savings. Less money going to ICBC from this household. Good riddance.

StylinRed 02-24-2017 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 320icar (Post 8824960)
Watching the news on my break, icbc says it will be bankrupt in the next 3 years. Huge losses blah blah raising rates blah blah.

How long until BC ditches this shit crown corporation. Never say never, we did eventually get rid of aircarez

The province dips into the icbc coffers all the time, which is why they're going "bankrupt", and then icbc comes up with lame excuses to increase taxes uhm I mean insurance rates, so there's no way in hell that the province will get rid of icbc

320icar 02-24-2017 02:39 AM

So then why doesn't icbc start a big commercial and radio ad campaign telling us citizens in black and white that the reason rates are so high is because of our own government. If everyone knew and made it clear and icbc showed it as a "scandal" something might change then.

I pay around ~2500/year with my '14 ST, and that's with a spotless record and -43%

Lowered_Klass 02-25-2017 11:16 AM

On a side note to the raise in rates, I think ICBC should be getting more strict with injury claims. Crack down more on these monster pay outs people are getting for low impact claims. They do a decent job sure, but far too many people use these small accidents as a lottery win of sorts.

It should be there for people who truly and honestly need it. I'd love to know how much is spent on ICBC's behalf with these payouts, lawyers, etc etc.

H.Specter 02-25-2017 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lowered_Klass (Post 8825384)
On a side note to the raise in rates, I think ICBC should be getting more strict with injury claims. Crack down more on these monster pay outs people are getting for low impact claims. They do a decent job sure, but far too many people use these small accidents as a lottery win of sorts.

It should be there for people who truly and honestly need it. I'd love to know how much is spent on ICBC's behalf with these payouts, lawyers, etc etc.

ICBC pays out based on medical evidence. Well guess what, many medical practitioners are in the pockets of the lawyers. You know the rest of the story..

MrPhreak 02-25-2017 04:21 PM

I went through a hell of a marathon getting my cars switched over

Showed up at the place bright and early... We broke for lunch, came back at 1:30 and wrapped it all up at 3:30pm

We got hung up on virtually every part... opps, system isn't working, have to call ICBC again... and get them to override... again *sigh*.

It was a huge pain, but in the end I didn't have to pay GST on my cars, I was able to get the 40% discount right off the bat, and I didn't have to do inspections on my cars.

Now I got blue plates! Hooray!

thumper 03-29-2017 04:30 PM

not sure if this was posted but... icbc luxury vehicle list:

http://www.icbc.com/autoplan/optiona...hicle-list.pdf

aside from naming almost every modern ferrari, lamborghini, and porsche, is it just me or is this list is very specific for some cars, such as:

osca mt4:
http://cartype.com/pics/3799/small/o...ider_front.jpg
ruf ctr:
http://media.caranddriver.com/images...-s-450x274.jpg
saleen s7:
https://storage.googleapis.com/gtspi.../Saleen-S7.jpg
SLR McLaren 722:
http://cdn.johnywheels.com/2015/07/0...6e27e2b2c1.jpg
XJ220 (but for some reason it only singles out Left Hand Drive Import):
https://www.classicdriver.com/sites/...?itok=oztaSSz7

... but i don't see a porsche 959 on the list. i can still dream! :woot: