REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vacations and World Travel (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vacations-world-travel_246/)
-   -   Exemption over $800, returning to van (https://www.revscene.net/forums/711209-exemption-over-%24800-returning-van.html)

geelaw 12-12-2016 06:28 AM

Exemption over $800, returning to van

Just got a quick question for some of you that travel a lot and do quite a bit of shopping or like to splurge. Now say I've bought a watch that's about $1000 usd... I know I can't combine the exemption with my fiancé so I'll have to put it under my name on the declaration card, now I just want to know.. Will I automatically be put to the side to pay the taxes or has some of you gotten lucky and just gone through?.. And if I do pay the taxes on the watch, is it on.. What's over $800? Or do I got to pay the taxes on the whole item.

Thanks

smoothie. 12-12-2016 07:59 AM

Expect to pay taxes on it. I can't remember if its the whole thing or the non exempt portion.

You'll most likely get lucky and not have to pay, but prepare to do so incase.

inv4zn 12-12-2016 08:13 AM

You may or may not get pulled in. If they see that you spend over the limit on a single item you're likely going to get pulled in so they can check what else you may have bought.

Always declare - if you can afford a $1000 watch, you can afford the tax on it. It's not worth the potential shitstorm you face over the next many years.

You pay tax on everything on invoice, including any sales tax you may have paid on that item in the US. You may also pay duty depending on where the watch was made.

IMASA 12-12-2016 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smoothie. (Post 8809231)
Expect to pay taxes on it. I can't remember if its the whole thing or the non exempt portion.

You'll most likely get lucky and not have to pay, but prepare to do so incase.

I Declare: A guide for residents returning to Canada

If you're over 24hrs, but less than 48, you get $200 exemption, if you're over, you get no exemption.

If you're over 48hrs, you get $800. If you're over, you get ding'd on what you are over the $800.

Quote:

Absence of more than 48 hours
You can claim goods worth up to CAN$800.
You may include alcoholic beverages and tobacco products, within the prescribed limits. Refer to sections Tobacco Products and Alcoholic Beverages.
Goods must be in your possession and reported at time of entry to Canada.
If the value of the goods you are bringing back exceeds CAN$800, duties and taxes are applicable only on amount of the imported goods that exceeds CAN$800.
A minimum absence of 48 hours from Canada is required. For example, if you left at 19:00 on Friday the 15th, you may return no earlier than 19:00 on Sunday the 17th to claim the exemption.

Absence of more than 7 days
You can claim goods worth up to CAN$800.
You must have tobacco products and alcoholic beverages in your possession when you enter Canada, but other goods may follow you by other means (such as courier or by post). However, all of the goods you are bringing back must be reported to the CBSA when you arrive. See Unaccompanied Goods section.
A minimum absence of seven days is required. When calculating the number of days you have been absent, exclude the day you left Canada but include the day you returned. For example, we consider you to have been absent seven days if you left Canada on Friday the 7th and return no earlier than Friday the 14th to claim the exemption.

There is also a Duty and Tax estimator
Travellers - Duty and Taxes Estimator

jackmeister 12-12-2016 08:24 AM

Just declare it. The last thing you need is a little record on your customs file saying you were caught not declaring the taxable things. That's 7 years of secondary examination.

In my experience I've declared the full amount on all my trips (I have Nexus) and I've only been taxed once like 10 dollars, and I've been over the limit most times.

geelaw 12-12-2016 12:17 PM

Yeah I'll for sure declare it since I travel quite a bit I just don't usually shop or if I do I'm never over the exemption. So just seeing if people get lucky and not have to pay it or if I do its just whatever is over 800 lol

Mr.HappySilp 12-12-2016 12:41 PM

Always declare the full amount. Usually they don't really tax you.

geelaw 12-12-2016 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp (Post 8809303)
Always declare the full amount. Usually they don't really tax you.

Yeah that's what I'm hoping. I'll declare the full amount on myself and the rest of the hits and prices on my fiancé on the same declaration, hopefully they will just let me by.

Gucci Mane 12-12-2016 08:26 PM

or you know, just wear the watch and you wont have to declare anything. :troll:

hud 91gt 12-12-2016 08:49 PM

^ Until you get a keen eyed Customs agent that wants to be a dick.

My cousin (Although he works on a cruise ship) was asked by Canada customs to show receipt of payment for his Rolex 6 months after he purchased it. This was after many crossings. He had to pay his duty after all.

Gucci Mane 12-12-2016 09:00 PM

^ thats just one person being super cunty. i doubt they'll even know op's watch is worth $1k.

geelaw 12-12-2016 09:47 PM

I have the box and stuff, bought it from a duty free store I'm Korea. Picking it up at the duty free pick up station after security

underscore 12-13-2016 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gucci Mane (Post 8809418)
or you know, just wear the watch and you wont have to declare anything. :troll:

For $120? If you're gonna risk the hassles that come with being caught I think most people would wanna do it for more than that.

bcrdukes 12-13-2016 03:14 AM

For $1000 USD, I would just declare the full value and show them the receipt and all. Sometimes, the consequences, can cost you more than money alone.

jackmeister 12-13-2016 09:17 AM

lol did anyone ever watch that border security show? the penalty is 4x what you're supposed to pay.

LPT: take a picture of the receipt of everything of value (electronics, jewelry, expensive clothes etc) and leave it on your phone in a separate folder.

geelaw 12-13-2016 12:22 PM

Wrote down $1400 didn't have to pay taxes. Got lucky

underscore 12-13-2016 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackmeister (Post 8809512)
lol did anyone ever watch that border security show? the penalty is 4x what you're supposed to pay.

The stupidity of some of the people on that show is amazing. Don't keep photos of illegal activity on your phone when you're crossing a border.