REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Miscellaneous Tech & Tools

Miscellaneous Tech & Tools THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Got an ATV or snowmobile you need to fix? Or are you wondering what the hell a crowfoot socket is for? Come on in and ask away!

Old 01-05-2017, 08:08 AM   #1
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Craftsman sold to Stanley B&D for $900 million

With Sears circling around the toilet bowl.. and cheap imports attacking the low end + people just don't tool much anymore.. Craftsman is sold to Stanley which basically makes 60% + of the tool market?

If the Donald can make tool company makes tool in the US and sell them for $500 a set.. who in the heck still buys them? I mean there aren't that many stuff left to fix.. eg the GM Bolt has little maintenance needs. Basically wiper fluids.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ut-900-million

Spoiler!
Advertisement
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 09:00 AM   #2
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,582 Times in 4,317 Posts
When I was growing up, Craftsman had the best quality hand tools for the hobbyist and the best exchange policy. It's a shame to see Sears go downhill (in Canada at least).

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 09:10 AM   #3
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,753 Times in 3,868 Posts
Quote:
eg the GM Bolt has little maintenance needs. Basically wiper fluids.
So... These cars don't have brakes? Suspension components? Doors, hinges, bushings, steering racks, control arms, sway bars etc etc. Just because you make a vehicle electric, doesn't mean it's held on by Velcro and duct tape.

I understand what you're saying, but I blame the shift in social standards over technological advancements (throwing stuff away and consuming more vs buying high quality and fixing it when it breaks)
Old 01-05-2017, 10:00 AM   #4
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fliptuner View Post
When I was growing up, Craftsman had the best quality hand tools for the hobbyist and the best exchange policy. It's a shame to see Sears go downhill (in Canada at least).
Totally agree, most of my tools are from craftsman cause I simply can't afford Snap-on but they still offer amazing quality
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-05-2017, 11:08 AM   #5
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,904 Times in 3,867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
I understand what you're saying, but I blame the shift in social standards over technological advancements (throwing stuff away and consuming more vs buying high quality and fixing it when it breaks)
Technological advancements have made it a lot harder to repair things, especially at a DIY level.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 01:55 PM   #6

Actually Bolt has regenerative brakes (so basically a stator that generates electricity when braking just like the Volt 2.0 has)

So fluids (coolant + brake) and tires.. You do realise that's the reason why every major car manufacturer is jumping into the "connected" concept right? As the maintenance line item becomes insignificant.. they have to hook in the consumer some how.

Here is the maintence article:

The Chevy Bolt EV requires ZERO maintenance | Electric Vehicle News

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
So... These cars don't have brakes? Suspension components? Doors, hinges, bushings, steering racks, control arms, sway bars etc etc. Just because you make a vehicle electric, doesn't mean it's held on by Velcro and duct tape.

Old 01-05-2017, 01:58 PM   #7

I had to order a bearing for my Craftsman jointer.. they no longer do it at local stores, you have to call into Edmonton call center and they will order it for you.

Sears in the US is just as bad as Sears in Canada.. Also take a look at Macys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fliptuner View Post
Old 01-05-2017, 08:29 PM   #8
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 1,934 Times in 494 Posts
The underlying core business of "department store" is an outgoing business.

With Sears, selling its core brands and assets is a bad move.

Craftsman is one of these brands.

I do understand the need to generate capital.

However, there is no point in prolonging the eventual slow and agonizing death of Sears.

I have a feeling that the sale is to repay Eddie's loan and to pay back other loans or to pay a special dividend to the hedge fund.

For example, Eddie made the $500 million loan at (quite possibly) an attractive interest rate.

Lo and behold, a few months (or so) later, Eddie sells Craftsman.

There you go.

A few months' worth of interest at $500 million x 2% (for the few months) = $10 million just like that waiting for 2 months.

Hedge funds (and Eddie's hedge fund company) are known to buy troubled assets, strip them of valuable assets (in Sear's case, real estate and now, the brands) to "repay" the hedge funds. In the end, once the company is completely stripped, the returns are well over 100% for the hedge fund.

What I find confusing is why Eddie is doing this ever so slowly.

From teh best of my knowledge (without googling), Eddie bought Sears (through the hedge fund and other leveraged instruments) at least several years ago.

I am assuming the hedge fund had the best intentions of actually trying to grow or save Sears.

However, the last few years were trying, so I am now positing that Eddie is liquidating Sears to recoup and dare I say, earn a return on the hedge fund's (and Eddie's) investments.

We should know very soon, depending on other moves Eddie makes in the future (including selling Kenmore and Diehard and more... real estate).
Marshall Placid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 08:58 PM   #9
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Lampart and Sears is like Richard Greer in Pretty woman

buy it - break it apart to pieces and sell it

untill you meet a hooker that says - why don't you ever build anything.

Lampart needs to meet his Julia Roberts.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 12:02 AM   #10
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,182 Times in 478 Posts
Lifetime warranty going to be not so lifetime anymore?
SSM_DC5 is online now   Reply With Quote