REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 02-01-2017, 12:15 PM   #26
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
lmao

i remember my mom would let me take her old 92 Tercel to school every now and then or out for parties

ho's love em free rides. Met and partied with a lot of people i met from giving people rides. God bless that Tercel.

Best part was...i could give people who lived far as fuck at the time (lived in east van) rides and it would barely make a dent on my gas tank.
Advertisement
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 12:52 PM   #27
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6o4__boi View Post
lmao

i remember my mom would let me take her old 92 Tercel to school every now and then or out for parties

ho's love em free rides. Met and partied with a lot of people i met from giving people rides. God bless that Tercel.

Best part was...i could give people who lived far as fuck at the time (lived in east van) rides and it would barely make a dent on my gas tank.
And gas was $0.15-$0.20c/l
OriginalJC is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-01-2017, 01:45 PM   #28
Rs has made me the man i am today!

BOOM '97

BOOM '98
EndLeSS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 01:58 PM   #29
degenerate extraordinaire

I remember when I was younger we had a red Jaguar XJ6 Sovereign that thing caught a lot of attention.

People back then didn't cruise around in exotics, they drove around in modified Civics, Integras, and 240SX with their crew/shops back then. You'd see a group of cars with their Garage Five/Stage Five banners, or the AJ Racing stickers. Then there were the richer people with their 300ZX, RX7 and Supras.

You would also 'oooh/aahh' when any Porsche went by. NSX would break necks.
He would step out of his freshly downtown autospa detailed 996 C4s, check out his own reflection in the driverside window out of habit, take off his brand new limited edition D&G aviator sunglasses so the mf can see the fury in his eyes, sashay over to the other guy and then threaten to insert his black leather Savatore Ferragamo loafers into the guys rear-end.
Ikkaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 07:03 PM   #30
I don't get it

This might date me, but I remember going to Madison's in the late 90s and I remember waiting in line and an asian dude with a yellow Lotus esprit pulled up. viet dude if I remember correctly. That car was pimp.
eclipseman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-01-2017, 08:12 PM   #31
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,098 Times in 4,998 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
I think i'm gonna email Brian about this and ask him
I don't think it was Brian Jessel himself, but his dealership... Salesman... Always wondered what happened to him as a result lol... You should ask about it, I bet everyone still remembers, it was pretty spectacular
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 08:19 PM   #32
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,017 Times in 7,108 Posts
Seeing them all the time definitely has taken some of the "special" out of the sighting, especially since you know 99% of their owners can't give a fuck about the cars other than for vanity's sake. I don't even get excited when I see a 458, or a gallardo or anything like that.
I saw 3 fucking WHITE AVENTADORS today in 1 block. An SV and two others.
When you see someone in a 348, or an esprit, or an e30 m3.....Thats the exciting stuff at least for me.
It takes money to own a new supercar, but it takes passion to own a classic.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 08:35 PM   #33
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipseman View Post
This might date me, but I remember going to Madison's in the late 90s and I remember waiting in line and an asian dude with a yellow Lotus esprit pulled up. viet dude if I remember correctly. That car was pimp.
That guy was murdered in 1998, shot beside his Lotus actually
Robert Stack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 08:47 PM   #34
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,785 Times in 3,891 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euro7r View Post
Reminds me of the high school days I would drive my dad's red tercel hatch with mismatching hubs to school. All my buddies cared about was getting "free rides" home at that time LOL. If you drove a car, no issues being popular.

I knew one buddy who got his N and drove to school. I was like "WTF", you live across the street, why would you drive to school hahaha LOL
so you can park it so hard with the hood propped open showing off all 135 horsepower of that VVT-i motor and drive it like it's stolen in a 30kph zone

drawing a blank on that guy's name...got the ridiculously purple Nissan NX...he would do exactly that at my school...pretty sure he was already in his mid-late 20s then
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 09:10 PM   #35
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Last edited by MrPhreak; 08-20-2017 at 02:14 PM.
MrPhreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 09:18 PM   #36
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,834 Times in 1,480 Posts
If anyone watched Barrett Jackson this year, the auction of Justin Biebers car pretty much sums up the exotic car scene in Vancouver.

I actually felt pretty bad for poor rich Justin. Clearly not into cars, so he just embarrassed himself. Ah well, he made money.

The station wagon with the roof rack will get more looks from me these days. Its a sad sense of reality. I think there is more exotics on the road then 90's civics in my area.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:28 AM   #37

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
The time has changed.

With rich Chinese kids driving Maserati, Lamborghini, Lotus, Ferrari, Porsche, Bentley, etc... the standard has been raised quite significantly.

Although these cars aren't that big deal today... back in the day, if you were driving any one of these, you were considered baller.

Last edited by Timpo; 02-02-2017 at 09:34 AM.
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-02-2017, 11:23 AM   #38
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

The best one in my high school is only a E36. And we all thought NSX, supra, RX-7 are the super car. Anyone 80's, 90's remember BMW Michael Ho??
yip_yee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 11:35 AM   #39
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,874 Times in 604 Posts
^ Michael Ho is the biggest clown ever!!! His dancing on BMW commercials always cracked me up! I saw him at Oakridge a few months ago, he literally thought he was a star walking around in the mall with his sunglasses on! clueless!
86 944 Turbo with 340rwhp Lindsay Racing kit
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Z3guy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-02-2017, 11:48 AM   #40
I'll never be Diggy, no matter how hard I try

Thanked 2,111 Times in 633 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
The time has changed.

With rich Chinese kids driving Maserati, Lamborghini, Lotus, Ferrari, Porsche, Bentley, etc... the standard has been raised quite significantly.

Although these cars aren't that big deal today... back in the day, if you were driving any one of these, you were considered baller.
do you still have your FD?
trollguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 11:54 AM   #41
NNT
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Totally different scene back then. In early 90s the locals complain about HK immigrant buying their kid luxury cars like 3 series BMW and C-class Mercedes to school which have a bad influence for the atmosphere of education here. now these day the Chinese immigrant drives Aston Martin and up. Exotic are basically everywhere.
NNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 11:56 AM   #42
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,355 Times in 3,445 Posts
Here is something to think about a Lamborghini Diablo cost $239.000 US in 91. For the same price you could have bought a house. A new Aventador costs around 500K. So exotic cars have become cheaper compared to a house. So I think thats one of the reasons you see more exotic cars.
Old 02-02-2017, 12:32 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Here is something to think about a Lamborghini Diablo cost $239.000 US in 91. For the same price you could have bought a house. A new Aventador costs around 500K. So exotic cars have become cheaper compared to a house. So I think thats one of the reasons you see more exotic cars.
I don't know if it's a coincidence, but the minimum wage in BC in 1991 was $5.00/hr. Now it's $11.25/hr.

The increment ratio between BC minimum wage and Diablo & Aventador are very similar.

The price of real estate however, it outta control.

Hourly Minimum Wages in CANADA for Adult Workers
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-02-2017, 12:58 PM   #44
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,219 Times in 1,961 Posts
Back in the day it was actually rare to see an exotic. Can't forget that the car market has changed. Now there's a Porsche for every season, a Bentley for everyday of the week etc

They just aren't as niche as before and they never will be.

I remember way back when, looking at Dubai street photos to see all the exotics. Now I just get to look out my window at home and work. Meh.

Though growing up, all the Gurmandeeps rode around in G-Body GMs or these things

GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 02:43 PM   #45
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
It takes money to own a new supercar, but it takes passion to own a classic.
Well that's signature material.

The only "exotic" stuff I remember from 90's high school was buddy that made his NSX a convertible and his bro had a Ferrari 355. Richmond residents would know who I'm talking about. Other than that, it was the popularity of street racing and suping up Camaro's, Mustang's, Civic's, BMW 3's, etc and hitting up the spots like Hammersmith, Deltaport, etc that dominated the "scene", so to speak.

I'd definitely say that the exotic boom has been caused by wealthy immigrants buying vanity rides from 2005 onward, with a big push in the last 5 years. Like Westopher, I dream of E30 M3's, 993 Turbo's and other analog offerings. Exotics are so watered down and unexciting nowadays it's almost sad.

Last edited by white rocket; 02-02-2017 at 02:49 PM.
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 07:22 PM   #46
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,098 Times in 4,998 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
It takes money to own a new supercar, but it takes passion and EVEN MORE money to own a classic.
Fixed for accuracy, them pre-current generation exotics cost half their MSRP bi-annually just to maintain
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 09:44 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
Fixed for accuracy, them pre-current generation exotics cost half their MSRP bi-annually just to maintain
what did he mean by classic though? Because I thought he meant something like...

Old 02-03-2017, 10:03 AM   #48
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
There is a red Ferrari always parked at Vassilis Greek Restaurant, Kingsway and Southoaks. It just seems like it is always just there, sitting overnight. Been bugging me ... what is that all about? Anyone ever see it? Maybe some who view this thread might know.
It's been parked there for years now. The owner lives in the apartment next door. He even built a Plexiglass garage in the restaurant parking lot, but stopped using it.
mindcruising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 05:35 PM   #49
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,987 Times in 538 Posts
Now this is a little bit later, but I remember back in 2006-2007 when Coquitlam College started to really gain the Asian majority. We would joke that we should skip the annual auto show and just check out its parking lot instead...

AE101 Rolla 96' //Sold
RPS13 240SX 90' //STOLEN
RMS13 240SX 91' //Scrapped
RHS13 240SX 90' //Scrapped
S35 Rogue 12' //Gifted to Parents
GD 6MT Elantra 13' //Sold
CZ4A 5MT GSR Evo 08' // Totalled
Ioniq DCT 19' //Traded in
NA MX-5 5MT 97' // Sold
Prius Prime 21' //Traded in
Tesla Model 3 RWD DD
GSX-R 600 K5' Mental Therapy
Prius Prime 24' New Kids Carrier
dark0821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 05:59 PM   #50
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 8,504 Times in 3,051 Posts
I think you have to really step it up nowadays to get noticed by your car. I graduated in 2002 from high school and back in those days if you had a BMW you were considered super hot shit. Nowadays, i see more BMW's and mercedes than corollas and camrys. Buying a 3 series is the equivalent of a honda civic in Richmond and yet the honda civic is still a honda civic. People would not think you are wealthy if you drive a civic nor a 3 series.

In order to be "somebody" (not that anyone really even gives a flying shit) you need to play with exotics. I always find it interesting to ask the guys with exotics the cost of maintenance. It'll surprise you more than their skid pad numbers or 0-60 times hahah.
Badhobz is offline   Reply With Quote