REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Who keeps maintenance records, and how? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/711597-who-keeps-maintenance-records-how.html)

cowboyj 01-31-2017 06:40 PM

Who keeps maintenance records, and how?

Out of curiosity, how many of you keep maintenance records or set service reminders for your vehicles? Do you keep piles of invoices and written notes stuffed in a plastic bag, store it in excel, or know of a really good mobile app/website?

When you buy or sell a used vehicle, is this something you consider critical to have/provide? The last time I went shopping for a used car, some sellers had piles of these available and just went "here you go". Other didn't, or had one or two records here and there.
Anyone had this experience, or know a better way to present records?

Thanks

SSM_DC5 01-31-2017 07:09 PM

Excel and pile of invoices in chronological order.

meme405 01-31-2017 08:21 PM

I track everything in excel, this includes maintenance, mods, fluids, gas, etc.

I keep the invoices in a nice binder with different sections for things like Gas receipts, old insurance papers, parts i've bought, or services I paid for.

Another aspect to this is photo's or video's related to the vehicle I keep in a yearly folder tree on my computer.

Just something I can always refer back to or sift back through. For my FX it's not really for any purpose other than my own memories or use. However if its a car you may get rid of eventually, then having all the records for the new owner is always reassuring.

The Juke I bought the guy immediately pulled out a folder, like a whole stack of invoices from Southside Nissan which was every service done at the dealer since when he bought the car new. It was a no brainer to me, the guy had taken his car to the dealer for even new wiper blades. Impeccably maintained. So yeah it was reassuring that I wasn't buying something that someone beat around, or neglected to maintain.

EDIT: If I was to restart on a new project today I'd use a website like Wheel Well and track everything on there from day 1. https://wheelwell.com/

twitchyzero 01-31-2017 08:37 PM

i keep a copy of all my Compass card value reload receipts :alone:

Traum 01-31-2017 09:38 PM

I used to keep a stack of all my service records, mod purchases, and even receipts for oil. IMO, it makes a huge difference when it comes time to sell the car.

For the past 10 years or so though, I have switched to just keeping records in Excel. But looking back at those records, it is utterly sad how much $$$$$ I have blown on a pos Japanese car -- had I saved up all that money, I could easily afford a very nice and brand spanking new Porsche.

:tears:

StylinRed 01-31-2017 09:38 PM

I used to keep the detailed receipts from the service centre and had them sign my owners book / log, but then I got lazy and didn't keep track of my receipts, or just stuffed them in the centre console only to later be cleaned out :/

The_AK 01-31-2017 10:07 PM

For my e46 I kept after receipt with all the parts I bought in a binder. All work I did I took pictures of before, comparison parts, and after. This helped with ICBC negotiation as I scanned all my receipts and made a folder system of all work done with receipts and corresponding photos (so for example VANOS job had copies of receipts from Beissan systems and progress photos). You can also check my "maintenance thread" haha but jokes aside a web log (aka BLOG) can be great too.

cowboyj 02-01-2017 06:07 PM

Thanks for the awesome and helpful responses - looks like it's currently a binder of papers for many people, with a few venturing into excel/online territory.

For those who buy/sell privately through craigslist, kijiji etc, I wonder - if you had instant online access to all the maintenance records (both DIY and dealer/independent with invoice snapshots ) along with a seller's ad, and could view them before having to contact the seller, would that save you time or change the way you filter through ads?

Or as a seller, if you had an easy way to (optionally) include your records with your ad, do you think it would help in selling your vehicle?

underscore 02-01-2017 06:26 PM

I keep the receipts for major items, I DIY a lot of work and buy parts online so the emailed invoice is all I keep, and I make a note in the owners manual of what mileage big work was done at (ie shocks, fuel pump, tires). I also keep a log in a note in my phone which I back up regularly.

twitchyzero 02-01-2017 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traum (Post 8820053)
had I saved up all that money, I could easily afford a very nice and brand spanking new Porsche.

a guy with a Porsche probably said the same thing about a McLaren

never gon be happy until you love yourz

edit: it's why I believe bone stock is best

stockscene.net

mb_ 02-01-2017 08:06 PM

I keep all receipts/invoices in a folder. Even have the invoice for when I bought add-a-circuit for my dashcam install haha.

tiger_handheld 02-01-2017 09:06 PM

invoices
auto shop repair invoices + written km's (if not on invoice)

All in a folder

As buyer I would never trust anything on the internet #photoshop
As seller I don't wanna sit here and black out the VIN/other personal details that usually appear on dealer invoices.

Traum 02-01-2017 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cowboyj (Post 8820214)
Or as a seller, if you had an easy way to (optionally) include your records with your ad, do you think it would help in selling your vehicle?

As a seller, all I'll say in the ad is, "full service records available". And then if the inquiring party seems like they are really interested in the car (after a number of email exchanges), I'll email them a copy of my Excel records.

AzNightmare 02-01-2017 11:49 PM

I just keep all my receipts and also log in everything in excel, although the excel is really more for myself since that isn't actual proof.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traum (Post 8820053)
it is utterly sad how much $$$$$ I have blown on a pos Japanese car -- had I saved up all that money, I could easily afford a very nice and brand spanking new Porsche.

:tears:

Always depends on your priorities. If you like tinkering with your car in the garage, it's always more fulfilling to buy a cheaper car with extra cash to mod.

Unless you're really balling, people generally leave high performance cars bone stock since modding it will most likely make it worse and lower resale value.

EndLeSS8 02-02-2017 07:01 AM

All invoices in a big folder
Always have been doing this for all of my cars.

thumper 02-02-2017 07:07 AM

in the past i kept everything in file folder. i sectioned it out by insurance, registration, aircare, service, parts, etc.. everything was in chronological order. when it came time to sell i blacked out all my personal information and showed it to the buyer on the spot. but these days now that i'm able to own something with warranty all my service records are with the dealer so i just tell them who i go to and the buyer can confirm for myself, but they usually don't. i've only had one time a service advisor called me asking my permission to release my records, and they gave the buyer an abbreviated printout of all my service history without personal details.