REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Best place to mount tires? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/711723-best-place-mount-tires.html)

clevernickname 02-16-2017 03:24 PM

Best place to mount tires?

Going to putting summers onto new 20s when it's a bit warmer/dryer in a week or two.

Due for an oil change so was going to do the *mounting/balancing* at Ford as well, but they quoted $120 which I thought is a bit expensive? Then again not sure so asking here.

Searched but the threads I found were from 2011 or so. Anyone know a good place to do this? Live near UBC so speed syndicate a bit far.

275/35/20 Continental ExtremeContact DW.

edit: kaltire quoted me $200

Badhobz 02-16-2017 03:29 PM

$120 for synthetic isn't that expensive if you ask me. My corolla cost me 100 bucks for the oil change at the dealership (synthetic 0w20)

clevernickname 02-16-2017 03:35 PM

Sorry, misleading post i guess, I meant they quoted $120 for the mounting/balancing. Oil change, tire rotation, fluid top off, and i think that's it, was $100 for synthetic which I think was decent. Just not sure what is "good" for tire mounting.

Badhobz 02-16-2017 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clevernickname (Post 8823560)
Sorry, misleading post i guess, I meant they quoted $120 for the mounting/balancing. Oil change, tire rotation, fluid top off, and i think that's it, was $100 for synthetic which I think was decent. Just not sure what is "good" for tire mounting.

120 for mounting and balancing seems excessive. Hell i remember when mounting and balancing tires were only 40 dollars at the local tire places (kal tire/goodyear/etc)

The last time i paid for mounting and balancing snow tires was at a sketchy little place on hastings st & commerical. They charged me 20 bucks but did a pretty good job. This was about 10 years ago but it looks like they are still in business today. Oh they also give the chinese discount (aka haggle the shit outta of them and they'll drop the prices)

Oh and the snow tires they sold me were really really affordable.. 500 bucks for 4 tires (cash deal) w/ steelies.

http://imgpost.me/img/dvJqpbD/Capture.JPG

underscore 02-16-2017 04:26 PM

Tires like that are going to be a pain, I believe the cheapest around (for chains) is usually Costco, I think they're still $15/tire.

fliptuner 02-16-2017 04:29 PM

Were they 20's though?

$120 at a dealership isn't bad. At least you can get everything done at the same time and don't have to wait at another shop.

clevernickname 02-16-2017 04:38 PM

I read that costco don't do aftermarket tires..is that still true?

Berzerker 02-16-2017 04:39 PM

If it's JUST mounting and balancing it should be 20$ per wheel but there are better places than others with no touch mounting. If your taking it to some kid with a shitty machine and pry bars I wouldn't even bother. If you take it to a reputable shop they will have a no touch system to protect your rims.

Berz out.

320icar 02-16-2017 05:27 PM

Costco does non-Costco tires now. $67 after tax. If it's an aftermarket size then just do a carry in (not install on vehicle) and its Costco, if they scratch anything they will fix it

see.lai 02-16-2017 10:37 PM

$120 isnt bad for mounting and balancing 4 tires..1 hour of shop labor, and sometimes a bit more if they're dealing with low profile like yours..

clevernickname 02-17-2017 08:45 PM

Thanks. I called costco and it was 15 a tire/wheel. But as you said, they won't put it on the vehicle.

He mentioned that they wouldn't be able to do any "alignment" on the tires since they won't be installed on the car. Is it then worth it jus to do it at ford? Or is alignment not important usually?

fliptuner 02-17-2017 09:01 PM

Is your car currently out of alignment? How much is your time worth?

clevernickname 02-17-2017 09:32 PM

Not sure. I had my stock tires/wheels rotated once and they didn't say anything, so I guess not out of alignment? Not really sure..

320icar 02-18-2017 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clevernickname (Post 8823798)
Thanks. I called costco and it was 15 a tire/wheel. But as you said, they won't put it on the vehicle.

He mentioned that they wouldn't be able to do any "alignment" on the tires since they won't be installed on the car. Is it then worth it jus to do it at ford? Or is alignment not important usually?

Costco does not perform alignments so I have no idea what they are talking about.

racerman88 02-18-2017 10:43 AM

Remember, what you pay for is what you get.
It might be worth paying a little bit more if it means that your rims will not get damaged in the process.
Make sure you take pictures of your rims and do a visual inspection before the shop does the work. Do the visual inspection in front of the worker even so they can't deny anything.
Just to be safe.

thumper 02-18-2017 01:24 PM

35-series on a 20" rim? costco can do that? :eek:

what about drivehard performance in richmond? they can mount and balance that size, they have an 4 wheel alignment rack, and they should have a mechanic that might be able to do your factory service also.

pm DHP 1 here on RS and ask for pricing.

!SG 02-19-2017 10:37 AM

if you find 120 bucks expensive to mount and balance 30 series 20in tires, then your gonna find the scratches on the rims even more expensive to fix from a less experienced and cheaper tire mounting machine.

corghi and hunter machines are not cheap. wheel weights are not cheap, valve stems.... ok they are pretty cheap, unless you get some nice all aluminum ones.

forcedot 02-19-2017 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !SG (Post 8824042)
if you find 120 bucks expensive to mount and balance 30 series 20in tires, then your gonna find the scratches on the rims even more expensive to fix from a less experienced and cheaper tire mounting machine.

corghi and hunter machines are not cheap. wheel weights are not cheap, valve stems.... ok they are pretty cheap, unless you get some nice all aluminum ones.

Learned this the hard way, came out of the shop with a scratch all the way around on my BBS rim and those wheels are over 1k new a piece.

- kT 02-20-2017 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !SG (Post 8824042)

just echoing SG here. places like nubrite typically charge about 20 a wheel. i wouldn't trust costco to do 20's on 35 profiles.. unless you're mounting them onto steelies or something. couple more dollars a corner can potentially go a long way in saving you from a headache. if you can afford 20" wheels and tires just pay the extra bit to have it done somewhere with more experience and better equipment

clevernickname 02-21-2017 08:23 PM

Ok, I won't cheap out. I guess other question then is, are dealerships generally known for being reliable for mounting wheels?

Oshiguru 02-21-2017 09:27 PM

I had costco mount tires onto my wedssports, they scratched the lip and even hit the wheel face on their ramps in front of me and I got nowhere emailing their manager/head office.

Have you considered speed syndicate? A few years back I went to TSS to mount low profile (40) tires and they didn't scratch any of my wheels.