REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Interior Windows constantly fogging up (https://www.revscene.net/forums/711824-interior-windows-constantly-fogging-up.html)

604dragon 03-01-2017 01:19 PM

Interior Windows constantly fogging up

Hey guys I need some advice on this problem i've been having for awhile when I purchased this used car a couple months back that's starting to become a hazard especially when the weather takes a turn for the worst. On very cold nights all my windows will be extremely iced or fogged up when I get in the car. My defroster and air recirculation doesnt work, but the A/C does. There seems to be some form of condensation coming into my car thats making a leak that leads into the carpet of the rear passenger side. I took it to a shop previously to get this fixed, he drained the water by jacking the car up and pulling the drain plug. Alot of water came out and then he put some sealant around some of the window and door frames of the car but the problem was still happening a week later and I dont feel like going back to this shop to pay another time to fix a problem i shouldve already had solved. Some friends have recommended RainFx anti fog, 2 different types one for the interior and a different one for the exterior. My question is has anyone personally used this product for a similar problem? Im planning to pick it up sometime this week after a car wash and apply it on and see if it will help fix the problem at all. I read online that I should make sure my floor mats, rear and front are not damp from leaking windows or a leaking heater core but my rear passenger floor mat always soak up after a couple days of rain and I attempt to dry it, it comes back. I think that the warm air from the heater will pick up the moisture from the floor and condense it on my windows which is causing this issue but i've never had a problem like this so I dont know where I should look for answers. Is this something that a bodyshop could help me fix, or would a mechanic be better? Could anyone recommend any good reputable places in the vancouver area that could help me get this solved?

Thanks everyone

jasonturbo 03-01-2017 01:23 PM

Feel your carpet all over and see it it's soaked, chances are you have a water leak.

Find leak, fix leak, dry interior out, problem should go away.

bcrdukes 03-01-2017 01:24 PM

I think jasonturbo is being humble.

What he really meant to suggest is to buy a new car.

Berzerker 03-01-2017 02:02 PM

If you have moisture in the car from a leak, you can't get rid of the problem. Get rid of the moisture and it will cure itself.

Berz out.

underscore 03-01-2017 02:40 PM

The moisture needs to leave the car somehow, either by switching on the A/C or by cracking open the windows for a bit as you drive.

As for water coming in on the passenger side, what vehicle is this? The blower motor and the air inlet for it tend to be on that side, on some vehicles water likes to start leaking in from there.

GabAlmighty 03-01-2017 02:46 PM

Like Jason said, find your leak and fix it.

If your heater core is gone it will be an oily residue that gets blown onto your front windshield when your turn the defroster on.

Potatoflex 03-01-2017 02:46 PM

I had this problem on my IS250, driver seat carpet was soaked. Turns out my AC tube? was leaking or something, set me back $600 to fix at Lexus :pokerface:

ijaz_97 03-01-2017 03:18 PM

I had this problem as well on my Infiniti G35x Sedan. Turned out to be the sunroof drain tube back flowing into the interior and soaking the carpet. $800 repair from Infiniti.

ssjGoku69 03-01-2017 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 604dragon (Post 8826398)
my rear passenger floor mat always soak up after a couple days of rain

There's your problem. why is it always soaking wet? Dry the carpet

VR6GTI 03-01-2017 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Potatoflex (Post 8826429)
I had this problem on my IS250, driver seat carpet was soaked. Turns out my AC tube? was leaking or something, set me back $600 to fix at Lexus :pokerface:

very common problem in the IS vehicles and corollas. Takes 15 minutes to fix.

dn53 03-01-2017 03:45 PM

What car are we talking about? If you're only getting water coming in from the pass rear, check the vapor barrier, a improperly adjusted window, or door seals/ door alignment.

Other common leak areas are sunroof drains, or a clogged a/c drain. I've had success with short bursts of compressed air

Any body work done on that side of the vehicle?

oldsnail 03-01-2017 03:57 PM

My civic has been getting moisture ever since my window was replaced after a break in.

i repeated brought it back to the glass place and they said it was best they can do for me.

currently , i just put silica packets in front of my windshield and rear window to absorb moisture .

FerrariEnzo 03-01-2017 05:12 PM

If its raining out, that could also contribute to moisture in the car.

cooke24 03-01-2017 06:27 PM

okay so i detail for a living and cross this problem quite often.

if there was a leak in the car before you need to COMPLETELY dry it out.

this means checking underneath the carpet.

under the carpet there should be some random mixed felt/fabric for sound insulation. this stuff holds water better than a sponge and takes days to dry out.

the car has to be stripped essentially so you can located the wet underlay.

it will look similar to this

http://betterautorubber.com.au/wp-co...04/mcul2-1.jpg

PDKGD3 03-01-2017 07:00 PM

Stop vaping. (Also I keep a sock full of cat litter in my car when I park it outside)

cdizzle_996 03-01-2017 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ijaz_97 (Post 8826435)
I had this problem as well on my Infiniti G35x Sedan. Turned out to be the sunroof drain tube back flowing into the interior and soaking the carpet. $800 repair from Infiniti.

Had the same issue with mine..

Fixed it myself, but damn was it a nightmare.

see.lai 03-01-2017 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ijaz_97 (Post 8826435)

I remember when I used to work @ Infiniti.. Found those leaks twice..
:D

604dragon 03-01-2017 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 8826401)
I think jasonturbo is being humble.

What he really meant to suggest is to buy a new car.

I would love to if I had the funds right now i'd buy a new vehicle in a heartbeat, but sometimes you have to make use of what you have because I cant afford it right now. Im grateful just to have something that gets me from point A to B so I want to get this fixed!

Quote:

Originally Posted by dn53 (Post 8826442)
What car are we talking about? If you're only getting water coming in from the pass rear, check the vapor barrier, a improperly adjusted window, or door seals/ door alignment.

Other common leak areas are sunroof drains, or a clogged a/c drain. I've had success with short bursts of compressed air

Any body work done on that side of the vehicle?

03 ES Lancer. No body work done on that side of the vehicle. Im thinking it could possibly be the door seals or door alignment since someone tried to break into my vehicle before and they broke my driver side door key slot (key wont work) and i guess tried to pry the doors open. The rubbery part around the door is loose on one side and can actually almost come off with ease. If this is the problem, it seems like replacing it is the best option but what is this part called?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssjGoku69 (Post 8826440)
There's your problem. why is it always soaking wet? Dry the carpet

I do dry the carpet in the rear passenger side, but when it rains heavy it will get easily damp again and can form small puddles.

SSM_DC5 03-01-2017 11:02 PM

You can try hosing the car down to try finding where water is getting in. It's easier with 2 ppl. 1 person sit inside the car, 2nd person takes the hose and aim the water at the seals from the outside of the car.

I tried antifog once, I don't know if it's the way they work, or just that particular brand, but I hated it.
The antifog just makes the condensation look like a sheet of water. Allows you to look through a blurry window, but wouldn't be crystal clear like a normal window until I used the defroster or a/c

ssjGoku69 03-02-2017 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 604dragon (Post 8826523)
03 ES Lancer.
(1) The rubbery part around the door is loose on one side and can actually almost come off with ease.
(2) If this is the problem, it seems like replacing it is the best option but what is this part called?

(1) The weather-strip isn't glued onto the car. I think they're normally just set set in place with a few clips; so if you can pull it off with your hand, it should be normal. However, if it is flopping around when you open/close the door, then that could be a source of your leak. The weather-strip help form a watertight seal between the door and body of the car when the door is closed. If your weatherstrips are dry, loose or cracked, it won't be able to do it's job.

(2) Do what SSM_DC5 suggests and hose down areas you think there could be leaks. take some paper towels around the door's inside if you don't have a 2nd person.