REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vacations and World Travel (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vacations-world-travel_246/)
-   -   Suggestions for a quick 1-2 nights trip? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/712195-suggestions-quick-1-2-nights-trip.html)

HonestTea 04-13-2017 01:14 PM

Suggestions for a quick 1-2 nights trip?

What are some suggestions/destinations for a quick trip with the SO in June? I'm thinking of just 2 days/1 night unless we can get more days off. Something that takes less than 4 hours to get to would be ideal.

Seattle/Portland is nice but we go there pretty often and it's just like another Vancouver. It's not out of the picture but I'm putting it as a backup.

Whistler? Victoria? Tofino? I was thinking Sparkling Hill but I'll be driving there for work 2 weeks prior and I probably don't want to make the trek out there so soon.

Any other suggestions? I'd like something nice and romantic.

There is a thread similar to this but it's more focused on winter activities and it was started 8 years ago.

roastpuff 04-13-2017 02:34 PM

Kamloops/Kelowna/Penticton is really nice in the summer. There are some wineries that offer guest rooms, makes for an interesting stay.

604STIG 04-13-2017 02:57 PM

I haven't gone but plan to at some point, look into Oregon coast.

6793026 04-13-2017 10:00 PM

drive to kelowna, go to the kangaroo farm, then winery (in that order cause the kangaroo farm closes early). Get smashed, book a dinner joint, sleep the night and then go to Float the Penticton River Channel and spend 3 hours having a blast drinking beer.
http://www.coyotecruises.ca.previewd...img-banner.jpg

smoothie. 04-13-2017 10:05 PM

Sparkling Hill

Sauna your face off

Dragon-88 04-17-2017 01:26 PM

Sunshine Coast, Lots of hiking, lots of nature.. Great place to just get out and relax.. The Coast is just breathtaking.. Only a 45min ferry ride each way and you only pay one way!

I'm not to sure what you guys do as couples things, but if hiking/nature walks is your thing you will love the Sunshine Coast.

I wouldnt even consider Victoria or Nanaimo as its almost half to 3/4 of a day of travelling/ferry.

HonestTea 04-17-2017 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragon-88 (Post 8836091)
Sunshine Coast, Lots of hiking, lots of nature.. Great place to just get out and relax.. The Coast is just breathtaking.. Only a 45min ferry ride each way and you only pay one way!

I'm not to sure what you guys do as couples things, but if hiking/nature walks is your thing you will love the Sunshine Coast.

I wouldnt even consider Victoria or Nanaimo as its almost half to 3/4 of a day of travelling/ferry.

Is there a promotion going on for that?

Dragon-88 04-17-2017 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HonestTea (Post 8836107)
Is there a promotion going on for that?

There was a temporary promotion in march 50% off vehicle, but that's over now. You can get a bc ferries experience card and you save a decent amount, but I suggest you look into it if it works for you. I go there occasionally so it's useful for me. For a single trip maybe not so much.

subordinate 05-08-2017 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roastpuff (Post 8835397)
Kamloops/Kelowna/Penticton is really nice in the summer. There are some wineries that offer guest rooms, makes for an interesting stay.

Go on.....

roastpuff 05-08-2017 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subordinate (Post 8840472)
Go on.....

For example... Burrowing Owl, Hester Creek, Nk'Mip all have accommodations. It provides a nice view to wake up to, and somewhere a bit more exclusive than a regular resort or hotel. They usually have food and other attractions nearby as well.

6o4__boi 05-08-2017 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HonestTea (Post 8835373)
Any other suggestions? I'd like something nice and romantic.

The Best Video Camera | The Wirecutter

ooops sorry, wrong thread

Spoiler!

x2 on Oregon Coast
we used a couple of Airbnb spots last year and it worked out pretty well
you'd probably want more than 2 nights though, esp if you wanna travel along the 101 and take in the sights

take her to Fort Dick while you're at it...

...for real though, it's along the 101!

CivicBlues 05-08-2017 02:09 PM

Am I reading this thread wrong? The OP is asking for suggestions for 2 days/1 night away.

Oregon Coast, Kelowna, Penticton are 4-6 hours drive one way (possibly more during June crowds). OP will be wasting half his time off driving with your thoughtless suggestions..

The only reasonable suggestion here is Sunshine Coast.

Another two would be Harrison Hot Springs or Whistler.

If you don't mind ferries - Salt Spring or Galiano Island.

whitev70r 05-08-2017 03:52 PM

+1 for sunshine coast or one of the nearby islands what ^ CivicBlues said. Would not want to drive like 4+ hrs for a 2 day 1 night get away.

roastpuff 05-08-2017 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whitev70r (Post 8840490)
+1 for sunshine coast or one of the nearby islands what ^ CivicBlues said. Would not want to drive like 4+ hrs for a 2 day 1 night get away.

For me... the drive is the get away. Le GF sleeps in the car... I enjoy the drive. :accepted:

Screw ferries. Expensive, and I've been dicked over by BC Ferries too many times. Though I admit that Comox, Courtenay, and areas like Qualicum Beach and Parksville are still relatively not busy and nice to explore.

I've blasted out Vancouver-Prince George-Burns Lake in 11 hours, 4 hours isn't really that much, especially when it's the Coquihalla...

Gucci Mane 05-08-2017 08:30 PM

Definitely go to Kelowna. If you pack up the night before and leave early in the AM you'll get there at a decent time and won't waste too much of your time driving.

But like roast puff mentioned, the drive is definitely the get away in itself.

CivicBlues 05-10-2017 08:56 AM

You guys are forgetting summer traffic. If OP is coming back on a Sunday evening he's going to be stuck on the #1 between Chilliwack and Abbotsford. 4 hour drive can easily turn into 6. Same goes for the US border.

Presto 05-10-2017 08:59 AM

My wife and I like heading down to Fairhaven, near Bellingham. It reminds me of Gas Town. It's pleasant just to walk around, and wander into various stores. There's plenty of restaurants, as well. If you drive a bit further down the 5, you can exit at Mt Vernon, and check out Anacortes. It's a nice, port town.

Gh0st 05-10-2017 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6793026 (Post 8835486)
drive to kelowna, go to the kangaroo farm, then winery (in that order cause the kangaroo farm closes early). Get smashed, book a dinner joint, sleep the night and then go to Float the Penticton River Channel and spend 3 hours having a blast drinking beer.
http://www.coyotecruises.ca.previewd...img-banner.jpg

This!! You can get floaties at the local canadian tire not too far away. Day drinking is the best =P