REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   House and Home Renovations (https://www.revscene.net/forums/house-home-renovations_338/)
-   -   Educate me: baseboard vs Forced Air (https://www.revscene.net/forums/712300-educate-me-baseboard-vs-forced-air.html)

Acura604 04-24-2017 08:04 AM

Educate me: baseboard vs Forced Air

sold my home which has baseboard...and getting into a newer home with forced air.

square footage of OLD home is approx 3400 sq ft.

square footage of NEW home is approx 3600 sq ft.

The new home is a very open design, lots of windows and hardwood flooring throughout. I'm just trying to figure out if forced air is more efficient than baseboards. There is no option for radiant.

roastpuff 04-24-2017 09:32 AM

Yes.

EDIT: Forced air is more efficient. It distributes the heat more evenly, and will cost less to run.

Urrtoast 04-24-2017 11:26 AM

Not only is it more efficient..
Its quieter and
Best part
You can add an Air Conditioning unit to it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acura604 (Post 8837579)
sold my home which has baseboard...and getting into a newer home with forced air.

square footage of OLD home is approx 3400 sq ft.

square footage of NEW home is approx 3600 sq ft.

The new home is a very open design, lots of windows and hardwood flooring throughout. I'm just trying to figure out if forced air is more efficient than baseboards. There is no option for radiant.

Hondaracer 04-24-2017 11:53 AM

baseboard heat is expensive as fuck..

We put in our suite in an unfinished basement, just under 700 sq ft total. Used Wall fan heaters, which are essentially baseboard heaters with a built in fan, same wattage's we would have used with baseboard heaters etc.

rest of the house (approx 1500 sq ft) is heated by central air gas furnace, hot water tank is a high eff gas tank, 95% of our lights are LED pots, and the only 220V outlet we have upstairs is our dryer (range is full gas)

2 months electricity just keeping the suite around 15 deg is like $550! wtf..

Jmac 04-24-2017 04:17 PM

Baseboard heating is one of the most expensive ways to heat a space.

Central forced air using a heat pump or natural gas is generally one of the least expensive ways to heat a space.

underscore 04-24-2017 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 8837633)
2 months electricity just keeping the suite around 15 deg is like $550! wtf..

$550? Ouch!

Tapioca 04-24-2017 10:35 PM

Forced air all the way.

Baseboard is terrible for heating up open concept homes. My corner unit condo with floor to ceiling windows would never get beyond 19-20 degrees with the heaters on all of the time in the winter.

Great68 04-25-2017 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urrtoast (Post 8837626)
Not only is it more efficient..
Its quieter

Considering that forced air involves a motorized fan, and a compressor if it's a heat pump, or a burner & combustion air fan if it's gas, versus just a simple heating element for baseboards I'm not sure how you come to the conclusion that forced air systems are quieter...

Ferra 04-25-2017 01:05 PM

baseboard heater is kinda....1980s :badpokerface:

Not sure about the new ones, i remember the old place I used to live in with baseboard heater makes a lot of humming and buzzing sound when they are on.

Also I remember reading gas heating is a lot more "cost" efficient than electric heating. Even at 100% efficiency, natural gas is much cheaper, and with baseboard heater you will get isolated hot/cold spot in the room.

Hondaracer 04-25-2017 02:44 PM

The fan heaters I put in the suite are good if you can't do central air and have the ability to rewire your rooms etc. the fan heaters each work on their own thermostat

However, the nice thing is they actually move air as opposed to the stagnant baseboard heat

Lomac 04-26-2017 08:19 PM

Only real advantage to baseboard heating is no ducting to workaround and hide when designing a house. It works well enough in a small apartment sized place, but in an open concept home it's not efficient at all.

Acura604 04-28-2017 12:31 PM

OK my deal for this home fell through..i was OUTBID!!!!!

onto the next, this new one has RADIANT .... more efficient than forced air?!

Urrtoast 04-28-2017 02:35 PM

Let Me Google That

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acura604 (Post 8838639)
OK my deal for this home fell through..i was OUTBID!!!!!

onto the next, this new one has RADIANT .... more efficient than forced air?!