REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   What Happens if ICBC Can't Source Discontinued Part? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/712453-what-happens-if-icbc-cant-source-discontinued-part.html)

und3f3at3d 05-12-2017 10:16 AM

What Happens if ICBC Can't Source Discontinued Part?

I was wondering does anyone know what is ICBC's procedure if they cannot find the part that was damage, stolen, etc? Such as ITR OEM interior, S2000 hardtops, etc.

Would they just pay you out? Or make you go find your own and reimburse you? Upgrade?

6o4__boi 05-12-2017 10:27 AM

iirc they will reimburse you if you find it yourself, not sure if they'd pay out for it though

white rocket 05-12-2017 11:38 AM

They "should" pay out enough to source the product from the pre-owned market if not available new from a supplier.

Truenosan 05-14-2017 09:47 AM

You can cash settle for the last known price of said item. I don't believe you are allowed to upgrade (someone correct me if I'm wrong)

The shop would call the dealer/supplier, and get the cost of the item, and note down it is obsolete/discontinued, and you would need to contact ICBC to sort out a cash settlement.

- kT 05-15-2017 10:19 PM

you can "upgrade" in a fashion that icbc will replace a similar part as the damaged part requiring replacement, if the original damaged part is no longer available. for example, if your oem s2k hardtop was stolen, and you provided an invoice that said it was worth $1200, icbc will cover $1200 - in other words, if you can source a carbon mugen hardtop for $1200, icbc will cover that, despite your original not being carbon. a top is a top to them. if you paid x dollars for it and can prove it, they will cover x dollars. if you can upgrade from that, then that's your business

Truenosan 05-16-2017 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by - kT (Post 8841878)
you can "upgrade" in a fashion that icbc will replace a similar part as the damaged part requiring replacement, if the original damaged part is no longer available. for example, if your oem s2k hardtop was stolen, and you provided an invoice that said it was worth $1200, icbc will cover $1200 - in other words, if you can source a carbon mugen hardtop for $1200, icbc will cover that, despite your original not being carbon. a top is a top to them. if you paid x dollars for it and can prove it, they will cover x dollars. if you can upgrade from that, then that's your business

Right! I totally forgot about that scenario. But as you may know, it depends on who you are talking to at ICBC. Estimator A and Estimator B will always have different answers lol

RRxtar 05-16-2017 08:10 PM

unless its something major that would need an inspection, it is quite common to come to a repair value settlement and take a cash out on it and do the repairs (or not, if you choose) yourself. ICBC will determine the cost to repair, and will either do the repair, or cut you a cheque for that amount.

nns 05-17-2017 07:48 PM

OT, but are stolen S2000 hardtops an actual epidemic?

Port Man 05-17-2017 08:01 PM

I've heard of people upgrading front bumpers for example on a truck. Price of OEM parts and brackets are more expensive than an HD Iron cross bumper or equivalent

Truenosan 05-18-2017 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Port Man (Post 8842179)
I've heard of people upgrading front bumpers for example on a truck. Price of OEM parts and brackets are more expensive than an HD Iron cross bumper or equivalent

I think the issue with bumpers and other crash related components is safety and liability. While price is a major factor, if a part is replaced on a claim that isn't DOT approved, it opens up a huge issue with liability.

This is what an ICBC MD manager told me a few years back.