REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Honda / Acura Tech Resources (https://www.revscene.net/forums/honda-acura-tech-resources_310/)
-   -   99 civic weird noises (https://www.revscene.net/forums/712465-99-civic-weird-noises.html)

lilzed747 05-14-2017 03:05 PM

99 civic weird noises

needed some help pinpointing some noise that my 99 civic cx is making. it sounds like im pulling a bunch of pop cans. when i reverse it sounds like a giant spring is springing(??) the noise sticks around whether im in gear or not (5 speed). i mostly hear the noise in first gear.

so far i've checked the brake shields, bearings/tie rods for play, exhaust shields for rattles, and pushed/pulled sway bar/controls arms etc. i also changed the oil and transmission fluid (they were due) but the noise still sticks around.

i've driving with the noise for a few weeks now. car seems to drive fine but its really annoying me. any help or guidance is much appreciated. thanks in advance

Puck Luck 05-15-2017 10:34 PM

You're kind of, "all over the place" with that description.
Does the noise go away when you keep the clutch pressed down?

lilzed747 05-16-2017 06:21 PM

99 civic weird noises

the noise remains in all situations (clutch in/out, neutral, during turns, etc) but only till about 15km/h

fliptuner 05-16-2017 06:42 PM

Does it change with vehicle or engine speed ?

lilzed747 05-16-2017 08:12 PM

99 civic weird noises

it doesn't change with engine speed. the only change during vehicle speed is that it stops making noise after 15ks. I let the car cruise around 10kms in second gear and it would still make the noise.

coneZONE 05-17-2017 06:59 PM

does it change whether the clutch is in or out?

lilzed747 05-17-2017 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cone275 (Post 8842162)
does it change whether the clutch is in or out?

nope makes noise either way

91civicZC 05-18-2017 06:43 AM

Is it speed, or RPM related?

Meaning would it go away if the car was sitting still and you revved up to the same RPM you are at when doing 15km an hour?

coneZONE 05-18-2017 01:17 PM

Seems like it may be pointing towards the transmission input shaft bearing, because if it's unrelated to clutch operation, then that crosses the clutch release bearing off the list.
But it's hard for me to say without being in person lol.

I had a 97 CX with the same problem as well, with a funny bearing/grinding noise in 1st and 2nd mostly heard at acceleration, then was normal the rest of the time.
The input shaft bearing is more or less a common issue with the EKs at this point and basically your two choices are to swap the whole transmission or to overhaul and change the input shaft bearing. At that time, i was lucky to find a cheap transmission lol

lilzed747 05-23-2017 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cone275 (Post 8842310)
Seems like it may be pointing towards the transmission input shaft bearing, because if it's unrelated to clutch operation, then that crosses the clutch release bearing off the list.
But it's hard for me to say without being in person lol.

I had a 97 CX with the same problem as well, with a funny bearing/grinding noise in 1st and 2nd mostly heard at acceleration, then was normal the rest of the time.
The input shaft bearing is more or less a common issue with the EKs at this point and basically your two choices are to swap the whole transmission or to overhaul and change the input shaft bearing. At that time, i was lucky to find a cheap transmission lol

sounds exactly like my issue. this is my dd so transmission swap would probably b best. is the bearing hard to replace? should I replace the two bearings prior to installing new trans?

coneZONE 05-28-2017 07:02 PM

if you're planning to DIY change it, i found this link. I haven't done it, seems like it may take a bit of time, maybe a day, but fairly straighforward.
DIY: Tranny removal and Input Shaft Bearing change - D-series.org

if you're planning to change it and leave it, and your clutch is fairly new, you could probably just change the input shaft bearing in the transmission and leave the clutch release bearing. But on the other hand, the clutch release bearing is so easily changed when you have the transmission out, so why not change it?
Also it would be a great idea to change all the oil seals.
Any standard transmission from 1992-2000 D series will fit. The one I used was from an EG Si/EX

lilzed747 06-04-2017 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cone275 (Post 8843809)
if you're planning to DIY change it, i found this link. I haven't done it, seems like it may take a bit of time, maybe a day, but fairly straighforward.
DIY: Tranny removal and Input Shaft Bearing change - D-series.org

if you're planning to change it and leave it, and your clutch is fairly new, you could probably just change the input shaft bearing in the transmission and leave the clutch release bearing. But on the other hand, the clutch release bearing is so easily changed when you have the transmission out, so why not change it?
Also it would be a great idea to change all the oil seals.
Any standard transmission from 1992-2000 D series will fit. The one I used was from an EG Si/EX

Hmm this would be a good time to swap in si trans. Thanks everyone for the help:)