REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Honda / Acura Tech Resources (https://www.revscene.net/forums/honda-acura-tech-resources_310/)
-   -   Brake Fluid for Honda??? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/712617-brake-fluid-honda.html)

vwaudi34 06-07-2017 08:42 AM

Brake Fluid for Honda???

Honda stated use genuine Honda Dot 3 brake fluid.

Should I use Dot 4 or Dot 5.1 brake fluid instead genuine Honda brake fluid?

Traum 06-07-2017 11:11 AM

Assuming this is not a troll post...

If you don't intend to engage in any high performance driving, there is really no need to go beyond DOT 3 brake fluids. There is also no need to use genuine Honda brake fluid either. As long as it's DOT 3, 4, or 5.1, it is something your Honda can use.

vwaudi34 06-07-2017 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traum (Post 8845464)
Assuming this is not a troll post...

If you don't intend to engage in any high performance driving, there is really no need to go beyond DOT 3 brake fluids. There is also no need to use genuine Honda brake fluid either. As long as it's DOT 3, 4, or 5.1, it is something your Honda can use.

I drive many city driving and some downhill driving. Recently, I feel that the brake pedal is not that firm after engine fully super hot. Cold engine, the brake is working fine. That's why looking for some higher boiling point brake fluid.

Traum 06-07-2017 12:00 PM

More important than the grade of your brake fluid is the age. When was the last time you've had your brake fluid changed? Depending on who you ask, it typically needs to be changed every 2 - 3 years, but I personally wouldn't go more than 2 for a typical car (even if it doesn't get driven much). And if you've ever had an incident where you boiled your brake fluid -- ie. the pedal sank into the floor with little or no pressure -- you need to replace your brake fluid asap.

Also, I find that at some dealerships' service department, they don't do as thorough a job in bleeding brakes as I'd like.

mb_ 06-07-2017 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vwaudi34 (Post 8845469)
I drive many city driving and some downhill driving. Recently, I feel that the brake pedal is not that firm after engine fully super hot. Cold engine, the brake is working fine. That's why looking for some higher boiling point brake fluid.

What brake pads do you have? Sounds more like the pads than the fluid boiling that's causing some fade

fliptuner 06-07-2017 02:15 PM

Also inspect condition of flex lines.

vwaudi34 06-07-2017 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traum (Post 8845474)
More important than the grade of your brake fluid is the age. When was the last time you've had your brake fluid changed?

About 5 years ago!!!!

Will change it very soon!!!!!

vwaudi34 06-07-2017 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mb_ (Post 8845494)
What brake pads do you have? Sounds more like the pads than the fluid boiling that's causing some fade

Should not be the pads. I am using Akebono brake pads (front) and Nissin brake pads (rear). Both changed about half years ago.

vwaudi34 06-17-2017 09:37 AM

Updated!!! Changed ATE Typ 200 racing Dot 4 brake fluid after one week. now, the brake becomes normal. Thanks Traum