REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > The John Norwich Riders Corner > Rider's Journals

Rider's Journals This section is for rider's and their journeys. Show off your bike, your build, or travel journals.

Old 09-06-2017, 07:35 PM   #26
I STILL don't get it

Edit*

Yesssssss vgy.me lets me upload photos and post here

Update time!

This past weekend I drove down to Edmonton and towed my bike behind my car. It worked extremely well which was very welcome. I was a little worried but the total weight I towed was just under 1000lbs. EMRA had their last track attack day for the year. Over 100 bikes showed up with 4 groups running, fast racers, slow racers, intermediate and novice. I ran intermediate and had some fun burning rubber. I'm looking forward to making it down to The Ridge a few times next year and possibly Mission but for now enjoy a couple photos. GoPro footage from the day is at the bottom of this post.

Stopped for lunch at Mount Robson

Shot of part of the track before the day began

The course lay out

Hope you enjoy guys/girls

Advertisement

Last edited by prudz; 01-27-2019 at 11:32 AM.
prudz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-08-2017, 04:33 PM   #27
I STILL don't get it

A few more pics from the pits

Last edited by prudz; 09-09-2017 at 07:46 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-16-2017, 08:15 AM   #28
I STILL don't get it

Small update,

Sadly my insurance is expiring in a week so the end of the season for me is here. The plans over winter includes installing some new brake pads (track day cooked what was remaining of the original pads), a new clutch (14,000km on the bike now and original clutch) since it feels like it is not as strong as it could be, a set of frame slidedrs and some nice sticky tires. The only reason i've been running these pilot powers is because they were brand new when I picked up the bike. They are a great all around tire but do lack the traction other tires offer. I'm heading in the direction of Pirelli Super Corsa V2's. All the reviews seem to be super positive. Great on the street and great on the track. An oil change, chain adjustment and clean/lube are also in order.

If someone has a recommendation on brake pads it would be appreciated. I'm leaning towards EBC or OEM. They are both priced more or less the same. The same goes for the clutch and frame sliders. I've read that the OEM R6 clutches are much better than aftermarket ones but if someone has some more info on that feel free to chime in please.

Last edited by prudz; 09-16-2017 at 12:41 PM.
Old 09-18-2017, 05:56 PM   #29
I STILL don't get it

A couple random shots from this month from a few different rides

Last edited by prudz; 03-01-2018 at 05:16 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-26-2017, 08:17 PM   #30
I STILL don't get it

I found a few more photos from the Summer and wanted to share.

Lillooet Loop

Mission Drag Strip

A dear friend of mine passed away earlier over the summer on a cruise in Manning Park. A few of us went and paid our respects and held a 2 step solute for him.

Last photo for now, a throw back to my first bike. I found this picture a friend took from many years ago.

As for an update on the bike I ended up purchasing the following

-Brand new OEM Yamaha Clutch kit
-EBC brake pads (front and rear)
-Complete Shogun frame slider kit (no cut) for the bar ends, fairings and swing arm
-Oil/Filter

I'm feeling really lazy so i'll probably get around to installing all this stuff near the end of January. I also signed up for the May event at the Ridge (you should too if you haven't yet). Hopefully i'll meet some of the guys on these boards at the event. Really looking forward to riding that track.

Last edited by prudz; 03-06-2018 at 02:20 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 12-24-2017, 08:25 AM   #31
2-Wheelin' Mod

Thanks for all of the great updates!
This post thanked by:
Old 03-01-2018, 05:14 PM   #32
I STILL don't get it

Picked this up today. Going to put it under the knife a little later this summer.

Last edited by prudz; 03-09-2018 at 10:42 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-03-2018, 03:36 PM   #33
I STILL don't get it

Just a couple shots from this summer. Added some frame sliders but took them off yesterday since I think they are ugly. Will likely only install them for track days and leave them off on the street. Still haven't done anything to the R3 either, likely over winter i'll tinker with it.

Got a new race suit too! It's bright, it also makes me want to pick up a 17 in the white/green combo to match

Went for a cruise with some car buddies

The loop

Last edited by prudz; 07-03-2018 at 03:41 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-26-2019, 03:20 PM   #34
I STILL don't get it

Been a while since I last updated. Sold my bike and my wife's bike to fund a nicer bike for myself lol.

Picked it up at Daytona

2km on the clock

Sitting in its new home

First order of business, get the bike cleaned up a bit. I already have a quick shift kit and ordered the Yamaha OEM solo seat for it. I'll be picking up a competition Werkes fender eliminator to clean up the back end. Front reflectors are being removed along with the feelers on the riders pegs. Rear pegs are being popped off as well. I'll be removing the tires and putting them up for sale to replace them with SuperCorsa's. Maybe some Pazzo's too but that should about do it.

Last edited by prudz; 01-26-2019 at 03:27 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-31-2019, 09:22 AM   #35
I STILL don't get it

Small update. Did some wrenching last night and managed to get a small check list finished up.

-Removed the front reflectors
-Removed the peg feelers
-Removed the rear pegs
-Added the solo seat

I'm hoping later this week i'll get the quickshifter installed.

Front reflectors before

And gone

The solo seat required a bracket to be installed

So much cleaner

This post thanked by:
Old 01-31-2019, 10:57 AM   #36
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Always love the look of the neon wheels!

Such a sexy looking bike
J.Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-04-2019, 08:20 PM   #37
I STILL don't get it

^ Thanks!

Installed the quickshifter tonight. It went very smoothly thankfully. The most difficult part was just making sure the measure of the shift rod came out to 10.51 inches. I swear I must have checked a solid 20x before I tightened everything up.

The shift rod before

First step is popping off the fuel tank

The next step is trying to find the plug. It was pretty tucked away under part of the main harness.

The grey plug in the middle is the one I was searching for.

Quickshifter added to the new shift rod, measured out, tightened up and plugged in.

The next step was programming it. This worked 1st try thankfully. It appears this is the most aggravating step of the whole process. While I was reading up on the install lots of people were having difficulty getting the QS light to appear. A couple suggestions to anyone considering doing this install. Turn the bike on to make sure it is in 1st gear. Turn the bike back off. Check your red kill switch and make sure it is in the off position. This step is not mentioned in the instructions and i'm willing to bet it is what is giving so many people so much difficulty with the programming. Grab the shift/foot lever with your hand and pull up with a decent amount of force. Turn the key on and hold for 10-15 seconds. Don't turn the key off, just let the pressure off the shift/foot lever. The QS light should appear.

Slapped back together

That's all for now. Hoping to get some levers and the fender eliminator soon and knocked off the list.

Last edited by prudz; 02-04-2019 at 08:26 PM.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:02 PM   #38
I STILL don't get it

Got some work done tonight. Ordered up a Competition Werkes fender eliminator and some spool ends. It is such an improvement removing those factory signals/reflectors/plate frame. I was very impressed by the detailed instructions Competition Werkes provided. Much better than the lack of them for my 08 and 09.

Easy stuff first :0 I choose these spool ends over a lot of the bigger brands. The bigger brand names are pretty large. These are smaller and aren't much of a distraction.

The start point

Undoing my solo seat work and removing all the brackets blocking the wiring

Yamaha decided red locktite was a great choice on these bolts. This was easily the worst part of the install. Sadly I have not purchased allan head sockets so I was using a key set that was just barely too short to make full turns, thus making me do angled quarter turns fighting the locktite fuuuuuu

Parts lined up in order of removal for easy reinstall

Light and bracket mounted

The first signal mounted

The start of the wiring. I opted to retain the factory plugs ends rather than use their aftermarket ones. It was nice that Competition Werkes pre-wired resistors into their harnesses which prevents hyperflash.

All finished, soldered, shrink wrapped, some fresh electrical tape and zip tied in place.

Signal test, both sides work as does the plate frame light

Finished product

Pazzo's to come next! I think that will be it for the bike for a while. I'm leaning towards burning off the factory tires then upgrade. On the fence on what I feel like doing in that respect. Anyway, hope you guys are enjoying the pics.

Last edited by prudz; 02-16-2019 at 11:09 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-21-2019, 07:01 PM   #39
They let me be a moderator. LOL

Thanked 3,670 Times in 867 Posts
Out of curiosty, how does it compare to your previous R6?
SpuGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 10:58 AM   #40
I STILL don't get it

Things I noticed on my short drive home

-The headlights in the evening are night and day difference compared to previous model. I would outrun my headlights at 100km/hr on the highway at night, these I can tell will be amazing on the highway at night.
-The seat is wayyyyyyyyyyyy better. I'm 6" foot and I found that when i'd lay flat against the tank i'd hit the back seat and feel squished. The new one I can lay flat and not have my butt hit the back seat. In fact I can really stretch my body out. With that said it is even higher than the previous model. I use to have my feet flat with some bend in my legs. Now I can barely get my heals down.
-QS will be amazing (just used it in my parkade a few times but I can tell it will be great)
-Fully adjustable suspension (looking forward to setting up for my weight etc)
-The traction control is nice. Did one good first gear pull with the TCS set to "1" which is the least amount of TCS you can have without it being completely off and it held the front wheel down nicely. This was a big one for me. In first i'd have to cradle the throttle a bit to prevent the lift on the previous model so it is nice to just give it wot and have the bike stay down but go as fast as it can. Not that wheelies aren't fun but you get the idea.

I haven't had the chance to really give the bike a good ride but first impressions are all positive improvements. To sum it up, all the reviews are pretty accurate. All the new tech is welcomed, no negatives and of course the new styling is sexy.

Last edited by prudz; 02-22-2019 at 04:36 PM.