REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Amazon to buy Whole Foods for 13.7B (https://www.revscene.net/forums/712679-amazon-buy-whole-foods-13-7b.html)

Derek_N84 06-16-2017 08:12 AM

Amazon to buy Whole Foods for 13.7B

Amazon is buying Whole Foods in a deal valued at $13.7 billion

Amazon to buy Whole Foods for $13.7bn - BBC News

What a juggernaut move by Amazon, Walmart stock already suffered today :notbad:

6o4__boi 06-16-2017 08:22 AM

wonder if they'll implement a prime member discount or something related in the future

radioman 06-16-2017 08:58 AM

Always thought their goal was the license out the use of their AmazonGo system to stores but I guess they want to try and implement it into whole foods now that they have brick and mortar.

murd0c 06-16-2017 09:05 AM

I'm excited about the food delivery service they are going to have. It's going to blow all of the other retail store's that have been doing it out of the water.

unit 06-16-2017 11:24 AM

sure, but then you have to pay whole foods prices

H.Specter 06-16-2017 11:34 AM

I, for one, welcome our new overlords.

highfive 06-16-2017 11:37 AM

Amazon owns container ships too.

I cannot wait for my Primevalue meal shipped by my Primedelivery drone.

StylinRed 06-16-2017 11:51 AM

If they convert the stores into their Amazon Go system that would be cool, and whole foods pricing would make sense for that

hal0g0dv2 06-16-2017 11:53 AM

crazy, still blows my mind that people shop at whole foods.

Manic! 06-16-2017 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6o4__boi (Post 8846951)
wonder if they'll implement a prime member discount or something related in the future

They will combine Amazon Prime with whole foods. Amazon also just released a want that lets you scan bar codes to order stuff. Combined with Whole foods you will be able to all your shopping from home and have it delivered in 2 days or less. Have a feeling that whole food stores will become distribution centers for Amazon. This is huge.

FerrariEnzo 06-16-2017 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6o4__boi (Post 8846951)

Its called Amazon Pantry and Amazon Fresh, in select markets...

danned 06-16-2017 09:43 PM

everything is in amazon

Ch28 06-16-2017 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hal0g0dv2 (Post 8846987)
crazy, still blows my mind that people shop at whole foods.

Most of the products at Whole Foods are extremely overpriced, but their meats and seafood is usually top notch.

Surprisingly enough, their sandwich counter has some pretty awesome sandwiches for $8-9.

twitchyzero 06-16-2017 10:43 PM

all this time I thought whole foods was local like Lululemon
did not know it was a $10B+ juggernaut :ahwow:

Mr.Money 06-16-2017 10:50 PM

hopefully it isnt the down fall of amazon.com....big move to be throwing that much money at brand name,You think they would start they're own and just simply push whole foods out of the game slowly over time....

crazy how they bought twitch.tv for like 900 million dollars and now the value of it is 2 billion.

keifun 06-16-2017 10:51 PM

I for one am still not sure about the whole online grocery shopping especially for produce items.

I still like to pick and choose my own items especially veggies and fruits instead of having someone else do it for me and deliver it.

Mr.C 06-16-2017 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Money (Post 8847072)
hopefully it isnt the down fall of amazon.com....big move to be throwing that much money at brand name,You think they would start they're own and just simply push whole foods out of the game slowly over time....

crazy how they bought twitch.tv for like 900 million dollars and now the value of it is 2 billion.

Their market cap is 433B. They can afford it even if it goes under.

Ch28 06-17-2017 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Money (Post 8847072)
big move to be throwing that much money at brand name,You think they would start they're own and just simply push whole foods out of the game slowly over time....

Whole Foods has an established brand in North America that is synonymous with top quality produce and meats. Yes, they're much more expensive compared to Superstore/Safeway/Save-On-Foods, but the higher price reflects the quality of goods you're purchasing.

StylinRed 06-17-2017 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twitchyzero (Post 8847071)
all this time I thought whole foods was local like Lululemon
did not know it was a $10B+ juggernaut :ahwow:

I only recall seeing the one store in kits, or was it west van... Always thought it was just an American thing lol

roopi 06-19-2017 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keifun (Post 8847073)
I for one am still not sure about the whole online grocery shopping especially for produce items.

I still like to pick and choose my own items especially veggies and fruits instead of having someone else do it for me and deliver it.

Have you tried it? Here in Calgary the produce selected is better then the produce available in the store to walk in customers.

Mr.Money 06-19-2017 11:10 AM

interesting,haven't tried it...the funny thing is Walmart's entire food selection is cheaper than Safeway sometimes.

i never got the idea of shopping online for produce,i automatically think they'll charge an arm & an leg for it,For millionaires who don't respect money,I've saw wealthy people have food delivery services and they're meal for pick up and delivery add up to $60 usd dollars for those services for a simple take out meal.

heleu 06-19-2017 12:14 PM

I'm looking forward to it. I think Amazon's scale will decrease Whole Food's prices.

My wife tore her achilles a month ago and I have two young kids so grocery delivery has been more useful than I thought it would be.

I use Save-On-Foods delivery at least once a week, but it could definitely be faster and cheaper. The quality has always been ok- if you don't like the quality of an item, you can always reject it at the door. I think the delivery produce market is always going to be more premium than your lowest price asian grocery store; people are paying a premium to have it delivered, so they'll be willing to pay a bit more for better quality.

Jmac 06-19-2017 05:06 PM

We use Thrifty Foods online delivery from time-to-time.

Spaceship_coupe 06-19-2017 11:50 PM

For the curious and bored here's a good article explaining the evolution of the grocery store http://paulellickson.com/SMEvolution.pdf, mind you it is a few years old.